Login Register
MacInTouch Home Page MacInTouch Discussions

MacInTouch Amazon link...
Apple photo & video software

Todd Bangerter Show this Post
2017-12-18 at 08:32 #30230   (201)
Todd Bangerter
(2017-12-14 at 22:37)Ken Spencer wrote:  Does anyone have any idea how to recover the photographs that are in my U2 iPod (with the color screen)? There is a folder called "Thumbs" which contains about 200 MB. Inside are four files labeled like this: "F1009_1.ithmb" The computer that this iPod was synched to is long gone - the photos are all from 2005. Thanks for any suggestions.
This thread probably has information that would be helpful to you. It looks like if you did not have the "Include full-resolution photos" option checked, then you probably only have low resolution thumbnails stored on there. Based on what you described, it sounds like that is the case for you.

From that thread, they recommend using File Juicer to recover the thumbnails. I have used File Juicer in the past (for other stuff) and am amazed at what it can extract. File Juicer actually has detailed instructions on how to extract usable data from ithmb files.

2017-12-18 at 11:46 #30234   (202)
(2017-12-18 at 08:32)Todd Bangerter wrote:  From that thread, they recommend using File Juicer to recover the thumbnails. I have used File Juicer in the past (for other stuff) and am amazed at what it can extract....
Just a "second" on File Juicer, I used it to extract the individual JPEGs from a QuickTime movie off an early digital camera (that used Photo JPEG as the construction method for the movies) that didn't close the .mov file properly, and it was unreadable. I used some other slick utility app to re-package the JPEGs into a .mov file.

It's also great for extracting the source JPEGs or what-have-you in the (sometimes) wonderful PowerPoint slideshows people forward (and forward, and forward and...) in emails.

2017-12-18 at 14:13 #30248   (203)
Back in November, I posted a series of questions here:
  https://www.macintouch.com/forums/showth...1#pid28791

I have some of the answers now, but I certainly advise people to check the firmware versions in their Canon (and other) cameras. My Canon 70D was not applying lens correction, and the improvement, once I applied it, in Canon's Mac software is revealing and often astounding! (Also, much better than Apple's Photos RAW processing.)

Here's a summary of what I know at this point:

(2017-11-20 at 18:24)jschaffe wrote:   1. Due to a defect in Canon’s EOS 70D firmware, I’ve had to use Canon’s own software to process RAW files…. Does doing this change the image information or just the metadata in the files?
The Canon software (like most RAW processors) maintains the original's integrity, but flips some metadata values. (Thanks to Don Handey for your input here!)

(2017-11-20 at 18:24)jschaffe wrote:    2. Does the order in which I apply changes to RAW files in Canon’s Digital Photo Professional (DPP) application make any difference?
I know that in some tools, an ordered list of changes is remembered and is reapplied as needed, but the Canon "recipe" files appear, at least in the way they're displayed, to just be an organized set of settings, with ordering controlled by Canon.

(2017-11-20 at 18:24)jschaffe wrote:    3. Is there any way to see what edits were performed on an image in Apple's macOS Photos?
I can see which photos were edited, but cannot easily tell what the edits were nor in what order.

(2017-11-20 at 18:24)jschaffe wrote:    4. Is my current approach, using DPP to process RAW and generate JPEGs and then importing only JPEGs to Photos, the best I can hope for?
So far, this is the best I've come up with.

It's interesting to flip back and forth between the original RAW imports, before lens correction, and the imported JPEG photos. Sometimes there are things I prefer about the originals (like the ability to suppress mistiness in some but not all long landscape views), but the removal of lens distortion always gives a better result and the more natural sky and sometimes other colors in the Canon-processed JPEGs win out most of the time.

2017-12-18 at 15:39 #30254   (204)
Thank you both for the suggestions. iMazing looks like a great app to have. It reported that "There are no full resolution photos stored on your iPod", which is useful information. Apparently images in the iPod are just thumbnails. And I did try Image Capture as well - thanks for that method, which I did not think of. It did not recognize the iPod at all.

2017-12-18 at 19:27 #30272   (205)
(2017-12-18 at 15:39)Ken Spencer wrote:  Thank you both for the suggestions. iMazing looks like a great app to have. It reported that "There are no full resolution photos stored on your iPod", which is useful information. Apparently images in the iPod are just thumbnails. And I did try Image Capture as well - thanks for that method, which I did not think of. It did not recognize the iPod at all.
When you sync photos to an iPod Classic, you have the option to upload full-resolution images or just thumbnails (which are really only good for viewing on the iPod's screen).

If the full-resolution images were transferred, then you can enable the iPod for disk use and then look in its "Photos" or "DCIM" folder for the images. Image Capture, iPhoto and other apps can read these. If you didn't transfer full-resolution images, then there is no official way to get the thumbnail images out of the iPod.

See also the iPod Classic User Guide [PDF] Chapter 5.

2017-12-19 at 16:27 #30342   (206)
Thanks so much for this information. I am guessing I missed the preference to import full-res images to the iPod way back in 2005. Duh! But I have downloaded the thumbnails, and I will try File Juicer to convert them to TIFFs. I am away for a week for the holidays but will try File Juicer and report back in a week or so. Thanks very much!

Wanting backup Show this Post
2017-12-20 at 15:54 #30424   (207)
Wanting backup
I want to export/backup my iCloud library to an external hard disk.

My iCloud library is larger than the computer storage, so to start syncing in the Photos app, I had to choose "optimized pictures". I would want the originals, but then syncing couldn't be done.

Now I want to "export originals" to back up the actual size stored in iCloud onto my external hard disk. I mark all in Photos and start export.

After this, some pictures were exported to the external hard disk, but a pop-up message said that a lot of pictures were not exported "because the file does not exist". I guess this would be because only some pictures are downloaded to the Photos app as originals, and some optimized storage.

How can I get a backup of my iCloud on an external disc, so that I can delete them from the iCloud online?

Going through the web page iCloud.com only lets me download single files, or hold Command and mark out each photo. This will take too much time.

2017-12-21 at 11:56 #30476   (208)
(2017-12-20 at 15:54)Wanting backup wrote:  I want to export/backup my iCloud library to an external hard disk.
   My iCloud library is larger than the computer storage, so to start syncing in the Photos app, I had to choose "optimized pictures". I would want the originals, but then syncing couldn't be done.
   Now I want to "export originals" to back up the actual size stored in iCloud onto my external hard disk. I mark all in Photos and start export. After this, some pictures were exported to the external hard disk, but a pop-up message said that a lot of pictures were not exported "because the file does not exist". I guess this would be because only some pictures are downloaded to the Photos app as originals, and some optimized storage.
   How can I get a backup of my iCloud on an external disc, so that I can delete them from the iCloud online? Going through the web page iCloud.com only lets me download single files, or hold Command and mark out each photo. This will take too much time.
Instead of trying to "Export originals", I would create a new Photos library (option-launch Photos) on the external hard drive. I would then change my iCloud Photos settings to download originals.

Once that is completed, quit Photos, eject the external hard drive and change the iCloud settings back to "optimize". Launching Photos should automatically take you back to the Library in your /Pictures folder.

Anytime you want to save more full-size photos to the external hard drive, you can repeat the process but during Option-launch choose the Library on the external drive rather than create a new one.

2017-12-21 at 15:07 #30501   (209)
Just updated Final Cut Pro to latest 10.4 version running on late 2017 iMac Sierra 10.12.6 and it is crashing constantly when doing a variety of tasks. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Eric Lundstrom VTC Media Show this Post
2017-12-22 at 13:17 #30582   (210)
Eric Lundstrom VTC Media
(2017-12-21 at 15:07)lsig wrote:  Just updated Final Cut Pro to latest 10.4 version running on late 2017 iMac Sierra 10.12.6 and it is crashing constantly when doing a variety of tasks. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Being more specific about the 'tasks' might help but it may not be playing kindly with one of the effects perviously applied. Give this a try... Open project. Select all. Copy. Create new library. Create new project. Paste. (Expect warning notices to pop up.) Cross fingers and see what happens. If it still crashes, quit 10.4 and open your previous version of FCPX and paste (if it's still held on clipboard) into a new project and give it a go.

Another option is to open a previous state from FCPX automatic backup... File Menu > Open Library > From Backup...
Might be an incompatible 3rd -party effect plugin, but FCPX generally warns you of those.

2017-12-22 at 14:23 #30586   (211)
(2017-12-21 at 15:07)lsig wrote:  Just updated Final Cut Pro to latest 10.4 version running on late 2017 iMac Sierra 10.12.6 and it is crashing constantly when doing a variety of tasks. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
My google-fu found:
  Final Cut Pro X 10.4 crashes on start up
  Final Cut Pro 10.4 Crashes

Possible findings/solutions from the 2 threads:

After messing with this for the last couple of hours I've discovered that 10.4 will crash if I have *any* kind of external device plugged in including an SD card. If I disconnect my external drives, my DVD burner and my SD card it works. As soon as I plug in *any* of those things and try to launch FCP 10.4 it will crash constantly.

Later:
Yesterday I incorrectly concluded that my external devices were causing it. It ends up there was just some coincidental occurrences in my pattern of unplugging and plugging back in my various devices. Ends up it still crashes on launch all the time, but what I've found is that if I just keep trying then usually on the 3rd or 4th attempt it'll launch and run just fine. I may even be able to launch it a few more times in a row without incident, but then it'll eventually start crashing on launch again.

CamTwist?:
Much to my surprise, Apple contacted me directly about this problem, and after looking at my crash logs and system config file they determined it was a known problem caused by a bug in CamTwist. Apparently, some extension that CamTwist installs is not compatible with 10.4 and causes the launch crash. I deleted all CamTwist files on my hard drive, rebooted, and now things work fine.

Last one:
You can open "bad" library in Finder (show package) and one by one remove Events folders. FCP crashes, you place last removed Event folder back and remove next. It works for me, I've found one event that cause crash. I don't know why.

Plugin again?
My version: problem is caused by some plugin. You can make test library with test project and try all plugins used before. In my case when I point over Chromatic in Effects browser, FCP crashes. Not only Chromatic is now a useless waste of money, it causes problems.

2017-12-23 at 22:02 #30668   (212)
(2017-10-30 at 10:47)stembridge wrote:  
(2017-10-25 at 16:49)anonymous coward wrote:  In my case, it seems to be an indication of an incomplete sync by iTunes. It is infuriating because iTunes gives no indication whatsoever that it is incomplete or failed, so you can't really help with fixing it. ... Recently, I did get a sync to complete by syncing the iPhone (6, 128GB) to my i7 MacBook Pro (16GB RAM, 2,25TB Fusion) about 20 times in a row, with nothing else to disturb it from my side. For whatever reason, it finally found the 2500 photos that had been missing all along, and with it all of the albums etc.
Exactly the problem I continue to pull my hair out over. I submitted a bug report to Apple and was asked to provide links to others having similar problems - I’ll be sending a link to your post as well.
So here's an update on the issue with syncing large Photos databases between iOS devices and iTunes. After posting a number of followups to my Apple bug report, the response I got back from Engineering was that this is a known limitation in iOS, and "we are working to improve this in a future iOS release."

Their suggestion was to sync by starting with just a few albums, and then repeatedly re-sync, adding a few more albums each time.  "On subsequent syncs, iOS will not add additional photos unless the sync preferences in iTunes are different from the previous sync, which is why it is necessary to keep adding selected albums each sync, instead of all at once."

Not sure that's actually a viable workaround, as I can't even get a few new photos to transfer back to the device after importing into Photos/macOS then syncing with iTunes back to the device.

2017-12-24 at 19:05 #30682   (213)
So here's an additional followup (thanks for bearing with me, Ric). I ended up having to use iMazing to nuke my photos off the phone, as iTunes was crashing every time I tried to sync.

I started over by syncing just one album with about 900 photos. All but the most recent photos transferred. After dinking around with it, I realized these were all shot with the iPhone X, and were thus in the new HEIF format. All of the older ones were shot on my iPhone SE, and thus in JPG format.

I edited one of the HEIF photos in Photos, and it then successfully transferred via iTunes sync. Although the sync session showed that all of the missing ~75 photos synced, only the edited one actually made it on the phone, and I never got a "sync completed message" - it just abruptly went to the Apple logo after the "Waiting for items to sync" message displayed for a bit (sync process crashed).

I then went back and edited all of the remaining photos shot on the X, ran a sync, and they all transferred over.

Is anyone else having problems syncing HEIF photos back onto an iPhone 7 or later (or newer iPad that supports the format)?

2017-12-26 at 13:02 #30702   (214)
(2017-12-23 at 22:02)stembridge wrote:  
(2017-10-30 at 10:47)stembridge wrote:  Exactly the problem I continue to pull my hair out over. I submitted a bug report to Apple and was asked to provide links to others having similar problems - I’ll be sending a link to your post as well.
So here's an update on the issue with syncing large Photos databases between iOS devices and iTunes. After posting a number of followups to my Apple bug report, the response I got back from Engineering was that this is a known limitation in iOS, and "we are working to improve this in a future iOS release."
   Their suggestion was to sync by starting with just a few albums, and then repeatedly re-sync, adding a few more albums each time.  "On subsequent syncs, iOS will not add additional photos unless the sync preferences in iTunes are different from the previous sync, which is why it is necessary to keep adding selected albums each sync, instead of all at once."
   Not sure that's actually a viable workaround, as I can't even get a few new photos to transfer back to the device after importing into Photos/macOS then syncing with iTunes back to the device.
There is a huge discussion of this over on the Apple forums (see "Photos app on iPhone not syncing in iOS 11 ").

Various people have been told various things. Some have been told it is an iOS issue, some an iTunes issue. Personally, I think there are issues in both that are interacting, which are preventing reliable syncs with large photo albums over USB between iTunes and iOS devices.

Two years ago, our then ~40k photo library in Photos would sync the selected items (maybe around 30k photos in various albums) without problem. Perhaps around the time of iOS 10, the syncs needed to be restarted to complete, but eventually it would work. Since iOS 11, some sync, but many do not, and the sync just cancels with a variety of error messages at various points. Sometimes it is a device error, sometimes nothing. Sometimes many of the photos will be on there, but the albums they should be associated with are empty.

Anyway, if they are looking for links, the thread above has a lot of people who are having the same issues with large albums and many (including me) have been on with Apple support gathering logging data, screenshots, videos etc showing the issues.

The last update I heard from the person who was helping me was that it was an iTunes issue (at minimum, perhaps iOS too). She said that the Apple engineering team is aware of the issue and working on finding the problem so it can be fixed. I offered them the ability to VPN into the Mac Mini to run tests, install beta software, whatever they wanted in order to assist, and she passed that along. They haven't requested it yet. :-)

And if you are having the issue, the more people that report it the better.

P.S. I also see that since the latest tvOS update and the latest iOS 11 update, many albums are no longer being shared with the Apple TVs.

2017-12-26 at 17:36 #30721   (215)
(2017-12-26 at 13:02)riley wrote:  There is a huge discussion of this over on the Apple forums (see "Photos app on iPhone not syncing in iOS 11 ").
Thanks for that link. I think the HEIF issue is separate from the failed sync issue (but perhaps related under the hood). At any rate, after nuking my photos with iMazing, I was able to get everything loaded by only syncing one or two albums at a time (another 4+ hours of babysitting the computer over several evenings). I also had a lot of older videos that would not sync ("not compatible / will not play on your iPhone"), so I ended exporting them all, running them through Handbrake and then re-importing. I had to manually reset the date/time for each video, which led to its own unique purgatory.

I'm now starting the same process all over again for my iPad… :(

Ric - just hit your PayPal with a Boxing Day gift as a "thank you" for MacInTouch – it's my 'go-to' Mac resource!

2017-12-28 at 12:04 #30795   (216)
matti
When I first experienced this sync problem, I thought that it was my old iPhoto library that was finally starting to really go unsupported.

But doing a simple test with Photos had the same sync errors. I even had trouble clearing a few hundred old iPhoto images from the iPad Pro 9.7". Only after I created a (non-iPhoto, non-Photos) folder-only simple album did those old ghost images disappear from the tablet's Photos. I have all my images and movies archived in simple folders elsewhere on DVDs and hard drives, because I don't trust iPhoto/Photos/Lightroom etc. for this task, so testing this was safe although time consuming.

I have an old OS X 10.11.6 iPhoto library with 40000 images and movies. I tried Photos but still prefer iPhoto for various reasons. (I can see the iPhoto import sessions and delete & re-import them as needed. I also want to see the file names in the album, so I can check if they need fine-tuning in my "main" archive. With Photos those tasks seem impossible. Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

When Apple finally fixes this sync bug, I may still continue to use iPhoto until it finally breaks - then convert the library to Photos or reimport from scratch.

2017-12-31 at 12:02 #30948   (217)
(2017-12-26 at 13:02)riley wrote:  
(2017-12-23 at 22:02)stembridge wrote:  So here's an update on the issue with syncing large Photos databases between iOS devices and iTunes....
There is a huge discussion of this over on the Apple forums (see "Photos app on iPhone not syncing in iOS 11 ")....
I thought I was alone.  :-)  It is reassuring to know I have company and that Apple may slowly be paying attention.

I can confirm this isn't only a Photos.app issue. My 9,200 image shares are in Aperture on Sierra. I sync to a latest-version-iOS iPad over WiFi with iTunes 12.7.2. This past holiday week I attacked the problem and independently discovered I would do better adding syncs from my smart albums incrementally -- 200 to 1000 at a time. Lots of weird behaviors, like counts that show transiently in the iTunes UI then vanish then reappear on mouseover. There might be a background task slowly updating iPod Photo Cache in the Aperture Library package -- sometimes sync numbers jump up a few hundred at a time. At the moment about 7,800 of 9,100 have made it over. I tried deleting iPod Photo Cache and letting it regenerate. That didn't help, but it took ages to regenerate.

I was ready to blame the old kludgy process of iPod Photo Cache, but since Photos uses a different system, there are evidently whole sets of bugs that cross Sierra, High Sierra, iOS, Aperture, Photos, and, above all, iTunes.

(PS. If you're an old timer you can join my posse hunting down the team who decided to manage iPhoto to Aperture migration by treating iPhoto edits as Aperture Stacks. That's the hack that keeps on giving. I've spent many hours slowly deleting iPhoto edits and recreating them as Aperture edits... meanwhile the inevitable Photos.app migration disaster looms. It's a metaphor for life, I suppose.)

2018-01-20 at 11:55 #32078   (218)
(2017-12-15 at 21:59)HalFeldman wrote:  iMac has been running for years with the ability to import Canon DVCHD clips into Final Cut Pro X 10.3.x. Somewhere in the upgrade onslaught that included going from Sierra to High Sierra I am no longer able to import those clips with audio present. The import completes successfully, but no audio. I also discovered that these clips do not play in QuickTime, as they once did. However, they do play in VLC. ...
After running through four Apple support people and about three weeks of phone tags, sending in log files, re-installations and even creating a new boot drive, the solution was found!

Library > Audio Plug-Ins:
Simply delete a52Codec.component (which is a leftover from Perian) and all done!
AC3 audio will start playing immediately without the need to reboot or do anything.

Jim Noble Show this Post
2018-02-28 at 11:51 #34059   (219)
Jim Noble
(2018-02-27 at 19:19)Buadhai wrote:  ... I could, as have many others, bring out countless examples of software that doesn’t “just work”. However, in the interest of brevity, I’ll just discuss two products which happen to be, on some levels, intertwined: Photos and iCloud.
   Next step was to enable iCloud Photo Library on my iOS devices: an iPhone 6s and an iPad Mini 4. It took many days for the initial sync. Because I have so many photos I had to opt to “optimize” (ha ha ha) storage on my iOS devices.
   The first shock was how awful it is to have to work with photos that are not stored locally. Apparently, in Apple’s mind, “optimize” means that none of your photos are stored locally, or, if they are, there is really no way to tell. To edit a photo you need to wait for it to download, edit it and then wait for it to upload again....
I still use iPhoto 9.6.1 for exactly this reason. My iPhoto library has 70,000 images in it, and editing and printing work flawlessly, every time.

I share your feelings about the direction of the company vis-a-vis software - but the direction of their development is at least following a rational business model/business plan, which is to sell subscription services - which require or incline towards their (very expensive) hardware - to teenagers and to have their parents pay for it.

2018-02-28 at 15:15 #34076   (220)
(2018-02-28 at 11:51)Jim Noble wrote:  I still use iPhoto 9.6.1 for exactly this reason. My iPhoto library has 70,000 images in it, and editing and printing work flawlessly, every time.
So let me open a can of worms here. It looks like iPhoto 9.6.1 still works under High Sierra 10.13.3.

Has anyone attempted to migrate back to iPhoto from Photos under the current High Sierra? I found some linkage on this, but it was all for older versions of macOS.

Not sure that I'd actually do this (it's a guaranteed dead-end street at some point), but since you mentioned you're still using iPhoto, thought I'd ask.

Barry Abrahamsen Show this Post
2018-03-01 at 03:26 #34099   (221)
Barry Abrahamsen
(2018-02-28 at 11:51)Jim Noble wrote:  I still use iPhoto 9.6.1 for exactly this reason. My iPhoto library has 70,000 images in it, and editing and printing work flawlessly, every time.
And I’m pleasantly surprised that Aperture still works. At least the features I use do. If that lasts at least one more macOS cycle, a good substitute might be available.

2018-03-01 at 04:36 #34101   (222)
I had approximately 28,000 photos on iPhoto, then the the big change to Photos a while back, I added an extra 2000 photos, all good, then a few more. Approximately a week later I opened Photos, and a terrible sight: I had lost several thousand photos. So a rebuild, do all the things needed, and, yes, reboot, open Photos and now only have approx 8000 photos. All short cuts gone, folders are empty, but the items are still there. And looking around asking, it seems to be a known issue, so if anyone can help, it would be appreciated.

Jim Noble Show this Post
2018-03-01 at 10:41 #34108   (223)
Jim Noble
(2018-02-28 at 15:15)stembridge wrote:  So let me open a can of worms here. It looks like iPhoto 9.6.1 still works under High Sierra 10.13.3. Has anyone attempted to migrate back to iPhoto from Photos under the current High Sierra? I found some linkage on this, but it was all for older versions of macOS.
   Not sure that I'd actually do this (it's a guaranteed dead-end street at some point), but since you mentioned you're still using iPhoto, thought I'd ask.
I am still using macOS 10.12 on my workhorse (2012 i7 Mac Mini with 480GB SSD + 1TB HDD), and I have not tried iPhoto 9.6.1 on a laptop upgraded to macOS 10.13. However, I presume at some point iPhoto will stop working. Most of my images have been exported and filed in chronological order on an external HDD, which is backed up regularly, so they won't be lost when my iPhoto libraries become unreadable (reminder to self: do the rest this weekend).

I've tried to like Lightroom as a replacement but can't get the workflow just right. Apple Photos is designed (or not designed, it's unclear) to force your images into the cloud and carries a real risk of image loss, and I have no interest in displaying photos on an iPhone, iPad, iPod, or iWhatever so I won't use it.

2018-03-01 at 12:53 #34113   (224)
(2018-03-01 at 04:36)kiwiernie wrote:  I had approximately 28,000 photos on iPhoto, then the the big change to Photos a while back, I added an extra 2000 photos, all good, then a few more. Approximately a week later I opened Photos, and a terrible sight: I had lost several thousand photos. So a rebuild, do all the things needed, and, yes, reboot, open Photos and now only have approx 8000 photos. All short cuts gone, folders are empty, but the items are still there. And looking around asking, it seems to be a known issue, so if anyone can help, it would be appreciated.
Do you use Time Machine (or some other) backup? If so, you can Option-launch Photos and pick a Photos Library file within your Time Machine backup drive. You should eventually be able to find a backup library that contains the missing photos. If you are using iCloud Photos, I would turn off internet access while you are doing this to avoid screwing up the backup Library when you open it.

Once you find the correct Library, then you can restore it to your Pictures folder where it belongs. When asked, confirm it as your "System library".

2018-03-01 at 13:15 #34115   (225)
I am currently using iPhoto 9.6.1 on my mid-2011 i5 iMac, running macOS 10.12.6 on an Thunderbolt exterior-mounted 500GB SSD. Back several iterations of OSX ago, I did try a conversion to Photos and was not happy with the interface, so went back to iPhotos, which I had been running in parallel, and I have been backing up my files/library to a couple of HDs. My question is, can I safely remove Photos from the system, or is there something necessary to continued operation of the system? I can always us the space...

Steve White Show this Post
2018-03-01 at 18:20 #34140   (226)
Steve White
(2018-03-01 at 12:53)Steven MacDonald wrote:  Do you use Time Machine (or some other) backup? If so, you can Option-launch Photos and pick a Photos Library file within your Time Machine backup drive. You should eventually be able to find a backup library that contains the missing photos. If you are using iCloud Photos, I would turn off internet access while you are doing this to avoid screwing up the backup Library when you open it. Once you find the correct Library, then you can restore it to your Pictures folder where it belongs. When asked, confirm it as your "System library".
To add to Steve MacDonald's excellent comment, remember that a Photos library is just a package -- that is, a folder by another name. Once you restore it successfully, right-click to open it. You'll see various folders, one of which is "originals". There are your original RAW or JPEG images. My advice is to copy them to another drive.

Every photographer learns this the hard way: never, never, never, never be without at least 2 to 3 back-ups of all your original images, one of which is off-site in some way. Small, portable USB-powered 2TB drives are cheap; get several and store your images.

I have > 40,000 images (I'm an amateur, not a pro). I started in Aperture, then tried Photos when the writing was on the wall for the former. Didn't like that I needed a bunch of add-ins to get Photos anywhere close to what I needed, so I sniffed the Adobe glue and got a Lightroom subscription. It's not perfect, but I'm managing just fine, and while Adobe catalogs can do stupid things at the worst times, at least I know where my images are.

2018-03-01 at 19:01 #34144   (227)
(2018-03-01 at 10:41)Jim Noble wrote:  Apple Photos is designed (or not designed, it's unclear) to force your images into the cloud and carries a real risk of image loss, and I have no interest in displaying photos on an iPhone, iPad, iPod, or iWhatever so I won't use it.
[But I think] the Photos app functions perfectly fine as an independent keeper of pictures, movies, etc. Only your choice to enable iCloud syncing (and iCloud offers three different levels of Photos sync) will then expose the Photos database to the Internet.

2018-03-01 at 20:02 #34148   (228)
(2018-03-01 at 03:26)Barry Abrahamsen wrote:  And I’m pleasantly surprised that Aperture still works. At least the features I use do. If that lasts at least one more macOS cycle, a good substitute might be available.
Can I ask you to confirm that Aperture works on Mac OS 10.13.3?

2018-03-01 at 20:35 #34152   (229)
(2018-03-01 at 20:02) wrote:  Can I ask you to confirm that Aperture works on Mac OS 10.13.3?
Works fine for me using a 2010 MacPro 5.1, for what I do with it which is process raw and print.

2018-03-01 at 23:54 #34158   (230)
(2018-03-01 at 04:36)kiwiernie wrote:  I had approximately 28,000 photos on iPhoto, then the the big change to Photos a while back, I added an extra 2000 photos, all good, then a few more. Approximately a week later I opened Photos, and a terrible sight: I had lost several thousand photos. So a rebuild, do all the things needed, and, yes, reboot, open Photos and now only have approx 8000 photos. All short cuts gone, folders are empty, but the items are still there. And looking around asking, it seems to be a known issue, so if anyone can help, it would be appreciated.
How many times does Apple have to screw over photographers before you jump ship? Aperture, iPhoto, Final Cut Pro... Their heart isn't in it. With >30,000 photos you are ready to move to an adult application. Capture One, Lightroom, Photo Mechanic...

2018-03-02 at 03:45 #34160   (231)
(2018-03-01 at 13:15)RoverPeter wrote:  ...My question is, can I safely remove Photos from the system, or is there something necessary to continued operation of the system? I can always us the space...
I found I couldn't get rid of it, but I could keep it in jail by clearing the execute bit, something like
sudo chmod -x /Applications/Photos.app

Craig Collins Show this Post
2018-03-02 at 06:21 #34162   (232)
Craig Collins
(2018-03-01 at 23:54)David Illig wrote:  How many times does Apple have to screw over photographers before you jump ship? Aperture, iPhoto, Final Cut Pro... Their heart isn't in it. With >30,000 photos you are ready to move to an adult application. Capture One, Lightroom, Photo Mechanic...
It really is astonishing that Apple just threw photography and photographers under the bus - especially as the power of iPhone photography and video capture continues to grow, now able to rival many stand-alone cameras with out-of-the-camera quality that can be extraordinary.

When iPhoto arrived, it was a revolutionary, if imperfect, shift in ability to work with the digital image. Then Aperture, which is still in many ways the most efficient, elegant system for everything from organizing and adjusting to output. All that thrown away for the bastard child that is Photos. It's at best a hodgepodge of features that were more robust in either iPhoto or Aperture. Sadly, even Aperture on its way to being deprecated was being dumbed down, with some of the most powerful features hidden or removed.

As a pro, I've moved on to Capture One, which for all its European approach to interface and process (read: nowhere near as intuitive as we'd like) gives a window into what Aperture could have become, had it been supported and updated. Luckily, it still works on my system for my legacy libraries, and I can fly through them with much greater ease than anything else. But I'll say Capture One is the most powerful digital image management tool we have now. I'm sure the Lightroom community will jump in, and, yes, it serves the widest audience that was Apple's to lose. We're seeing an incredible growth in photography as a cultural phenomenon, and Apple's not there to reap the benefit, except for capture on the iPhone.

All in all, it's yet another example of how Apple seems determined to throw away the very philosophy that allowed it to achieve what we take for granted: excellence in user-focused software that narrows the gap between human and machine.

currymac Show this Post
2018-03-02 at 09:01 #34165   (233)
currymac
I continue to successfully run Aperture on my Hackintosh, currently running macOS 10.13.3. Everything, including plug-ins like NIK, still works.

I've tried Lightroom, 1Photo, Luminosity and Capture One. Luminosity has yet to create a DAM, so it's a non-starter for me, and the rest of them don't import Aperture libraries worth a sh*t, although Capture One does try. Then there are their interfaces. Very steep learning curve for any of them, especially the German-designed Capture One. For now I'm happy to stick with Aperture. Even after all these years abondoned it keeps to Apple's most fundamental tenet... it just works!

2018-03-02 at 12:34 #34173   (234)
The commiseration over Apple's arrogance in abandoning photographers (and videographers x 3 !) is wholly justified. I'm a semi-retired pro photographer who has used Macs since the mid-90's, and Photoshop since version 2.x. These days I rarely open my Photoshop 5.5, because I have all but replaced it with Affinity Photo.

I briefly used Aperture 1 and 2 back in Mac OS X Tiger days and never developed a liking for it, because by then I had been using Thorston Lemke's GraphicConverter from the day I bought my first Mac to do my cataloguing and browsing. GC was rudimentary back then but eminently useful, performing tasks no other image processing app could easily do, if at all (especially when directly coupled to Photoshop in both directions of workflow, easily doing batch conversions).

GraphicConverter really poured a solid foundation with its major bottom-up rewrite (at version 8, IIRC) just at the time it became obvious Apple was forsaking Aperture in favor of the amateurism iPhotos, which they have since deprecated to oblivion in my world. I have never even opened Photos on any Mac, ever. It's been banned...
... because along came Graphic Converter 9 and 10 with some amazing additions for real image retouching and editing, such as dodge-burn-smudge-saturate-sharpen-blur, yada, yada brushes, and an entire 3-ring circus of color controls, layers, and serious color modification above and beyond its core sorting and conversion functions. GC's implementation into the Apple OS Finder is as good as any thrid-party app around (now if only Apple would do a full retool of that hapless Finder!)

So, since 2012 when Affinity Photo arrived, things evolved and integrated rapidly, and Adobe receded into the permanent ground fog, only they call it a "creative cloud." Likewise, Nik software, which had fomerly been a $400 bundle, became a freebie when Google acquired it, and sold it to DXO last year , who continued offering it free of charge. And it is still a freebie, if you know where to get it from DXO's dungeon. (*But hurry - DXO is cannabilizing Nik and will release a new commercial product based on it later this year, and then Nik will be no more, as I understand it.)

So here's the answer to your anxiety or disgust with Apple Aperture, Adobe Lightroom, and having to buy into that Adobe CC brothel: Just use GraphicConverter for your importing, sorting, filing your source, and vrowsing all of your resulting photo folders in the orthodox OS Pictures folder where you - not the app - placed them. Oh, by the way, GraphicConverter says it is completely integrated with Aperture and iPhoto / Photos libraries, but you'll have to take that at face value.

Then you do your serious image editing by sending it to Affinity Photo in one click and go all the way downtown with it. Did I mention that both GraphicConverter and Affinity Photo will run the Nik software plugins effortlessly? Bingo! Or this: GraphicConverter has decent RAW file capability, especially at the Stage 1 level, but Affinity Photo has outstanding RAW processing all the way to orbit and the printer, if your workflow travels that way. Bye bye Photoshop and Lightroom .

The bonus with Affinity Photo is its sibling(s), Affinity Design, full-grown now and holding its own with Adobe Illustrator, and later this year the premier of Affinity Publisher to complete the graphic design triad and promises to give InDesign and Quark a worthy competitor.

For disgruntled photographers, the sweetness is the price of using Affinity Photo ($50) and Graphic Converter ($35) together for the grand sum of $85.00 one time cost. No subscription fee for either, and Nik is still free as of a month ago when I downloaded a reserve copy from DXO.

This is from someone who has about 200,000 digital images in his archives, slowly augmenting them with scans of old school film negatives and rephotographed 35mm color slides in bulk. I could not do what I do without GraphicConverter and now Affinity Photo. (No affiliation with either developer.)

2018-03-02 at 12:51 #34176   (235)
As a long-time Aperture user, I feel your pain. I was distraught when Apple set it adrift, and, succumbing to the inevitable, I tried many of the photo applications mentioned above. For the most part, I've settled on one that I didn't see mentioned, DxO Photolab.

I find that its power overcomes its lack of Aperture user-friendliness although it isn't exactly unfriendly. About the only negative I can mention is the absence of a digital asset manager. That is a pain, but there doesn't seem to be any software with a DAM even remotely close to Aperture's.

DxO Photolab's many features are very robust, and they recently bought the NIK software from Google. NIK was very good for what it did, and I'm sure that will serve to improve DxO's software even more. Also, the program has continued to improve and add new features over the past year that I've been using it. I have no connection with DxO other than being a satisfied user.

BTW, Aperture still works on the latest macOS version, and I continue to use it (and weep) occasionally; for example, uploading photos to my SmugMug web page. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a DxO plug-in for that.

2018-03-02 at 12:56 #34177   (236)
(2018-03-02 at 03:45)wmconlon wrote:  
(2018-03-01 at 13:15)RoverPeter wrote:  ...My question is, can I safely remove Photos from the system, or is there something necessary to continued operation of the system? I can always us the space...
I found I couldn't get rid of it, but I could keep it in jail by clearing the execute bit, something like...
All you have to do to get rid of apps such as Photos (or Chess or Photo Booth, etc.) is boot from a different drive. Then you can select the "required" apps on the target volume and trash them after entering your your admin password at the prompt. The safest course is probably to keep a zipped copy of those apps, if you think you will ever need them. OS updates (not upgrades) try to put them back, but they may not be functional—the icon of the restored updated app is generic. I have never tested to see if they work; I just throw them away again. If you keep zipped versions, you can expand them temporarily before running an OS update, then jettison them again.

2018-03-02 at 13:09 #34179   (237)
matti
I have an old OS X 10.11.6 iPhoto 9.6.1 library with 40 000 images and movies. I tried Photos 1.5 but still prefer iPhoto for various reasons.

iPhoto automatically creates albums so I can delete and re-import image folders in progress without needing to remember to manually create albums. iPhoto displays file names with no need to resort to clumsy scripts. Please correct if I'm wrong. ...I went kicking and screaming from good old iMovie v1.0.2 to v6.0.3 to Final Cut Pro X so I'm open for progress. But I digress...

When I first experienced this iTunes' Photos-to-iOS 11 sync problem I thought that it was my old iPhoto library that was finally starting to really go unsupported. So I prepared to update to Photos. But I did some preliminary troubleshooting:

I reset the iPad to factory settings (I didn't even use the backup in case it was corrupted). Spotting missing images is difficult so I made a brand new Photos library on my Mac and imported albums consisting of 100 images and synced them one after another and checked the image count.

...But after a few such albums, the sync failed again...

So at the moment my 256GB iPad Pro 9.7" is almost empty. I bought the maximum amount of storage so I could keep my photos there. <sigh>

Old Toad Show this Post
2018-03-02 at 14:31 #34186   (238)
Old Toad
(2018-03-01 at 04:36)kiwiernie wrote:  I had approximately 28,000 photos on iPhoto, then the the big change to Photos a while back, I added an extra 2000 photos, all good, then a few more. Approximately a week later I opened Photos, and a terrible sight: I had lost several thousand photos....
The quickest fix for that is to restore your backup copy of the Library made just prior to the problem occurring. You do have backups, right?

2018-03-02 at 14:58 #34187   (239)
GFS
Another pro still using Aperture.

I’m running it on macOS 10.13.3 without issues. However, large libraries can develop issues and Repair or Rebuild do not fix all the problems. What has worked for me, with 100% efficacy, is to Export problem Projects as a Library. This new Library will be fast and problem-free. You can Merge these Libraries back together if you want, but my feeling is that as these grow, it is perhaps better to have several smaller ones, which is what I now do.

I use Aperture essentially as a DAM, at which it excels; however, since its RAW processing is stuck back in time, it is problematic with more recent cameras for which Aperture cannot reliably build Previews, if at all. My solution for this is to shoot RAW and JPEG (my cameras have 2 slots). These sit side-by-side in the Aperture Libraries and, using Smart Folders, it’s very, very easy to hide/reveal the ‘Previewless’ RAWs as required. When I want to develop and work on a RAW, it is equally easy to ‘Reveal in Finder’ and open with another app (even if you have these RAWs as ‘Managed’ files).

So, for the time being and until someone produces an equally good DAM, or Aperture stops functioning, I shall continue to use it.

All that said... I will never ever trust Apple again with professional software. One of the wealthiest companies in world, dumping professional users in such a way, was just shockingly awful. Thousands of hours of work, for some of their most faithful and highest investing customers. Shame on Apple for doing so.

2018-03-02 at 15:58 #34196   (240)
George
(2018-03-02 at 12:56)Kathryn Jenkins wrote:  All you have to do to get rid of apps such as Photos (or Chess or Photo Booth, etc.) is boot from a different drive. Then you can select the "required" apps on the target volume and trash them after entering your your admin password at the prompt. The safest course is probably to keep a zipped copy of those apps, if you think you will ever need them. OS updates (not upgrades) try to put them back, but they may not be functional—the icon of the restored updated app is generic. I have never tested to see if they work; I just throw them away again. If you keep zipped versions, you can expand them temporarily before running an OS update, then jettison them again.
That's a new technique to me, thanks.

I've deleted Apple "bloatware" by turning off SIP, then using Reggie Ashworth's full (not Mac App Store) AppDelete. AppDelete shows what it's found, and goes out and "fetches" everything associated with an application (or so it says), some of which may be hidden and "left behind" when deleting the core application itself.

AppDelete also has an "archive" feature. I used it to move an Acrobat Pro install from one machine to another, as I didn't want to "fresh install" because of the manifold updates since first installed.

I've not used this technique to delete Photos. But as an indication of how effectively it can work, I've removed Safari, and my MacBook Air just kept trucking along with Firefox.

Rely on anything like that at your own risk. Clone your drive, first, and set the clone aside!