Login Register
MacInTouch Home Page MacInTouch Discussions

MacInTouch Amazon link...
Apple photo & video software

2017-03-02 at 23:10 #16069   (81)
I have a minor problem that has been driving me nuts. I have a Lumix DMC FZ-70. My camera's clock is set to PST. Stills that are imported into Photos.app show the correct time. Videos, however, appear in Photos.app -8 hours (which happens to be GMT). The correct PST time shows in in camera playback, in Image Capture, iMovie and in iPhoto. If I load a GMT tagged video from Photos.app into iMovie the time is correctly shown as PST.

I think this is a reportable bug to Apple but I want to make sure I haven't missed anything before I report.

anonymous coward Show this Post
2017-04-26 at 10:01 #18642   (82)
anonymous coward
Hi, community,

When Apple nudged/forced us to switch from iPhoto to Photos on macOS, the user was offered to have it both ways: it was possible to keep iPhoto, using the existing library, while simultaneously migrating this same library to Photos and using it there.
Even with a library of substantial size (in my case, about 500GB), the size impact on the hard drive was quite small, since the migration used file system links, such that the same files were being used from both libraries. Only, changes and updates to any file would lead to a doubling in size, as this file would break the link and have to be duplicated. Downside was that changes in either library did not propagate to the other.

After more than a year of keeping it this way for safety's sake, I recently took the plunge to actually delete the iPhoto library. I was surprised to find that I gained almost the complete, original library's size in drive space. I had not seen any jump in space use at any time before. Apparently, the routine inner workings of Photos does keep making changes that lead to a creeping, but complete breaking of the links, effectively doubling the size used by the libraries over time.

After several weeks of use, I can also report that Photos has become significantly more responsive, sharing to AppleTV is now functional within 10s of minutes even after large imports, rather than hours to days before, syncing to the iPhone vie iTunes by cable again works most of the time, and overall stability is much improved.

So: make (yet another) backup of both libraries, then delete the iPhotos one, and rejoice over lots of free disk space and less sucky performance!

2017-04-27 at 14:22 #18725   (83)
(2017-04-26 at 10:01)anonymous coward wrote:  After more than a year of keeping it this way for safety's sake, I recently took the plunge to actually delete the iPhoto library. I was surprised to find that I gained almost the complete, original library's size in drive space.
I think that some methods of reporting space usage were fooled by the hard links. It essentially counted the photo library twice: once in iPhoto and once in Photos. So deleting the iPhoto library reduces the reported space used, but does not change the actual space used.

2017-04-27 at 17:26 #18745   (84)
anonymous coward
(2017-04-27 at 14:22)Michael Schmitt wrote:  I think that some methods of reporting space usage were fooled by the hard links. It essentially counted the photo library twice: once in iPhoto and once in Photos. So deleting the iPhoto library reduces the reported space used, but does not change the actual space used.
So I thought, as well. But I was desperate for disk space coming back from a photo-intensive holiday. Not only did the reported space change, I actually won 500GB of disk space, which was more or less the size of the iPhoto library at the time I migrated to Photos.

2017-04-28 at 12:14 #18778   (85)
(2017-04-27 at 17:26)anonymous coward wrote:  
(2017-04-27 at 14:22)Michael Schmitt wrote:  I think that some methods of reporting space usage were fooled by the hard links. It essentially counted the photo library twice: once in iPhoto and once in Photos.
So I thought, as well. But I was desperate for disk space coming back from a photo-intensive holiday. Not only did the reported space change, I actually won 500GB of disk space, which was more or less the size of the iPhoto library at the time I migrated to Photos.
Just to make everything clear, how did you measure the free space? From the Finder or some other mechanism?

I ask because hard links (like iPhoto/Photos library) can confuse many kinds of reporting.

If you're counting space used (e.g. by adding up the size of every file you find), then hard-linked files will be double-counted. If you subtract that from the volume's size to compute free space, then you will think you gained space, even though you really didn't.

If you are running Sierra, the Finder may misreport free space. More accurately, it counts "purgeable" files towards the free space. These are files that the OS believes can be deleted without warning to create more free space. This is typically caches of iCloud content and some unused system files that can be re-downloaded if needed in the future.

I don't think the Sierra Finder counts files in the Trash as purgeable, since these files are not auto-deleted, nor can they be re-downloaded if they get lost.

To see the raw count of free space on a volume (without any Finder shenanigans), issue one of the following commands in a Terminal window:

df -h

Filesystem      Size   Used  Avail Capacity   iused     ifree %iused  Mounted on
/dev/disk1     697Gi  524Gi  173Gi    76% 137558422  45284680   75%   /
devfs          194Ki  194Ki    0Bi   100%       672         0  100%   /dev
/dev/disk2s2   698Gi  270Gi  428Gi    39%  70828400 112231266   39%   /Volumes/Data
map -hosts       0Bi    0Bi    0Bi   100%         0         0  100%   /net
map auto_home    0Bi    0Bi    0Bi   100%         0         0  100%   /home
map -fstab       0Bi    0Bi    0Bi   100%         0         0  100%   /Network/Servers
/dev/disk3s2   2.7Ti  1.8Ti  904Gi    68% 247693527 118547805   68%   /Volumes/Time Machine
df -H

Filesystem      Size   Used  Avail Capacity   iused     ifree %iused  Mounted on
/dev/disk1      749G   563G   185G    76% 137558514  45284588   75%   /
devfs           199k   199k     0B   100%       672         0  100%   /dev
/dev/disk2s2    750G   290G   460G    39%  70828400 112231266   39%   /Volumes/Data
map -hosts        0B     0B     0B   100%         0         0  100%   /net
map auto_home     0B     0B     0B   100%         0         0  100%   /home
map -fstab        0B     0B     0B   100%         0         0  100%   /Network/Servers
/dev/disk3s2    3.0T   2.0T   971G    68% 247693527 118547805   68%   /Volumes/Time Machine
The "df" (short for "display filesystems") command shows you file system data for each volume. The "-h" option displays byte-sizes ("Size", "Used" and "Avail") in base-10 human units (Kilo/Mega/Giga bytes). The "-H' option displays them in base-2 human units. (Without either option, they are displayed as a count of 512-byte blocks, which isn't usually very user-friendly.) This is a low-level UNIX command that acts on the volume's free-space map without regard to file types, usage or hard links.

On my system, the report matches my Finder "Get Info" report, because I'm running El Capitan. If they differ on your system, then you... might want to launch Disk Utility (or go to "About This Mac / Storage) to see the categories of usage and add together the "free" space and the "purgeable" space.

2017-04-30 at 18:42 #18823   (86)
anonymous coward
(2017-04-28 at 12:14)David Charlap wrote:  ... Just to make everything clear, how did you measure the free space? From the Finder or some other mechanism? I ask because hard links (like iPhoto/Photos library) can confuse many kinds of reporting. ...
Thanks for the explanation regarding df usage. Obviously I can't go back and check what was the state of things before I deleted. However, I do not use cloud storage, I regularly empty trash, and don't think there was much of any other purgable stuff around. I was getting system warnings about low space. I now have several hundred GB free. I'm pretty sure the space gain was real.

2017-07-24 at 19:25 #22464   (87)
Back in the iPhoto days, I kept the master library on my Mac Pro 2009, running OS X 10.8.5, and my lovely bride had her photos on her 2011 MacBook Pro, running 10.8.5. Every now and then, I would have my iPhoto connect to her iPhoto to easily transfer her photos to my library to update the master library.

Then I upgraded my Mac Pro to OS X 10.9.x and switched to Photos, and the ability to connect to her iPhoto library disappeared, or at least I couldn't find it. We had to use "sneakernet" to transfer her photos to my computer.

I'm now running OS X 10.11.x, and I recently updated her computer to 10.10.x, and now she is also using Photos. Without using iCloud, is there any way to link her Photos to mine, so I can more easily transfer photos to the master library?

2017-07-25 at 05:48 #22474   (88)
KJM
(2017-07-24 at 19:25)Ladd wrote:  I'm now running OS X 10.11.x, and I recently updated her computer to 10.10.x, and now she is also using Photos. Without using iCloud, is there any way to link her Photos to mine, so I can more easily transfer photos to the master library?
With iCloud, it would be very simple to share the pictures in a shared photostream album. If you insist not to use iCloud, you can export the pictures to a USB stick or an external hard disk. (Make sure that size and metadata are preserved.)

2017-07-25 at 11:53 #22486   (89)
(2017-07-25 at 05:48)KJM wrote:  
(2017-07-24 at 19:25)Ladd wrote:  I'm now running OS X 10.11.x, and I recently updated her computer to 10.10.x, and now she is also using Photos. Without using iCloud, is there any way to link her Photos to mine, so I can more easily transfer photos to the master library?
With iCloud, it would be very simple to share the pictures in a shared photostream album. If you insist not to use iCloud, you can export the pictures to a USB stick or an external hard disk. (Make sure that size and metadata are preserved.)
In addition to the above, I have started "borrowing" my wife's iPhone to transfer her photos via USB into my Photos library. Since she is using iCloud photos, her entire library (including those from her other camera) is available to view in my Photos.app, and I can choose which ones I want to import.

Charlie Show this Post
2017-07-25 at 15:57 #22497   (90)
Charlie
(2017-07-24 at 19:25)Ladd wrote:  Back in the iPhoto days, I kept the master library on my Mac Pro 2009, running OS X 10.8.5, and my lovely bride had her photos on her 2011 MacBook Pro, running 10.8.5. Every now and then, I would have my iPhoto connect to her iPhoto to easily transfer her photos to my library to update the master library.
  Then I upgraded my Mac Pro to OS X 10.9.x and switched to Photos, and the ability to connect to her iPhoto library disappeared, or at least I couldn't find it. We had to use "sneakernet" to transfer her photos to my computer. I'm now running OS X 10.11.x, and I recently updated her computer to 10.10.x, and now she is also using Photos. Without using iCloud, is there any way to link her Photos to mine, so I can more easily transfer photos to the master library?
If you can access both Photos files on one device, the Merge Libraries function in Power Photos should do the job:

https://www.fatcatsoftware.com/powerphotos/

2017-07-26 at 14:20 #22539   (91)
George
Yep. I know there's a strong current of Google rejectionism here. But here's my brief experience with Photos on a Mac. The "dark" theme was very difficult to see on a laptop, and not so easy on an HD monitor. Nor did I like how it "imported" from my camera, and Photos seemed really depressed it couldn't contact iCloud, which I do not have active on my Macs.

Photos still uses the old proprietary Apple "package" with index approach I found so frustrating when I wanted to extract pics from iPhoto / Aperture to a standard folder structure logically organized by year date month.
  http://www.macworld.com/article/3069966/...ation.html

There was the young mother I tried to help. Her free 5GB iCloud had filled, her filled iPhone had all the pictures of her baby, and in a panic trying to free space on her iPhone, she managed to mangle both her iCloud login and her phone login. Of course, Apple support wouldn't help, because Apple reasonably won't just remotely unlock phones that may be lost or stolen.

The grandmother, whose iPhone was synced to iCloud, but had no idea that when the phone's memory filled, the camera would stop taking new photos.... She had no local computer backup of her photos and was willing to buy more iCloud storage but didn't know how. Concerned my "help" might put her in the same situation as the mother who can't access anything, I suggested she find a family member familiar with Apple's ecosystem, ask for help, and also ask for someone to back her iPhone up locally.

Both women would have been better off with Google's unlimited photo storage, which enables separation of cloud from phone storage.

I transfer photos from cameras and cell phone to a logical folder structure on my computer, back up the folder structure to external drives, and select which photos I might want to share with others and add them to a Google Photo Album. Free. Sometimes I will create a Google Photos album to share on the fly from my phone.

CNet article:
  "5 reasons to use Google Photos on your iPhone"

2017-07-27 at 15:38 #22586   (92)
Does anyone know how to select a photo in Photos and "reveal in Finder"? Must we jump through the entire Export hoop each and every time?

kentbob Show this Post
2017-07-27 at 15:39 #22587   (93)
kentbob
I transfer photos from cameras and cell phone to a logical folder structure on my computer, back up the folder structure to external drives, and select which photos I might want to share with others and add them to a Google Photo Album. Free. Sometimes I will create a Google Photos album to share on the fly from my phone.
I basically do the same thing. I just use Photos, iCloud and Shared Albums.

I do agree the GUI could be more intuitive.

2017-07-27 at 18:09 #22606   (94)
CraigC
(2017-07-27 at 15:38)Matt wrote:  Does anyone know how to select a photo in Photos and "reveal in Finder"? Must we jump through the entire Export hoop each and every time?
Just drag the photo to the desktop, Finder folder, application in Dock, etc., and there ya go! Of course, if you’re shooting RAW, you will get a JPEG, but that’s what you wanted, eh? ;)

If you’ve imported your Aperture library, you do have the option of “Show referenced File in Finder”, but I think that’s the only way to quickly access the original, other than right-clicking your Photos Library file, “Show Contents” and digging through the images in the “Masters” folder.

One other option is what I used to do to have quick access to my Aperture previews: to create a saved search in the Masters folder with Kind: Image. Then add it to the sidebar, and you’ll have access to just the images, not all the subfolders. From there you can do a search in a Finder window to just that smart search to narrow even further, e.g. Date: January 2015

Hope that helps!

2017-07-27 at 19:16 #22610   (95)
I thought I would mention that Digikam, the open-source photo management solution from the KDE branch of the Linux world, has recently released version 5.6.0, and it is available as a Mac OS X installer package. Digikam has been available as a Mac app for quite a while, but a lot of folks balked at their download site, which wasn't HTTPS-secure until recently. Appears to be really full-featured; I haven't played with it yet, but I'm really curious to see how well the app survives the jump from Linux to OS X (i.e., which features don't work because they're not supported in the underlying OS). Anyway, there's a Kindle book to get you started, which I also purchased, and for those of us figuring on an eventual jump to Linux, this is a great way to start migrating data into open source solutions.

https://www.digikam.org/

2017-07-28 at 13:35 #22642   (96)
(2017-07-27 at 18:09)CraigC wrote:  
(2017-07-27 at 15:38)Matt wrote:  Does anyone know how to select a photo in Photos and "reveal in Finder"? Must we jump through the entire Export hoop each and every time?
Just drag the photo to the desktop, Finder folder, application in Dock, etc., and there ya go! Of course, if you’re shooting RAW, you will get a JPEG, but that’s what you wanted, eh? ;)
I don't use Apple Photos, but unless things have changed since Photos first came out, and based on a discussion here, even if you are shooting JPEG and have made no edits to the photo, you don't get your original when you drag a photo out of Photos. You get a recompressed copy of the original, which may or may not be what you want. And, of course, if you made any edits to the photo, you get that edited version and not the original.

2017-07-29 at 09:02 #22666   (97)
Does anyone know how, on the iPhone, to get back from collections or years to moments, which I think is the most useful view most of the time?

2017-08-02 at 12:58 #22856   (98)
(2017-08-02 at 11:05)jschaffe wrote:  
(2017-07-27 at 13:12)I wrote:  Since I upgraded to a new iMac and brought my Photos library back onto my internal drive, I've been noticing some huge Time Machine backups (40 to over 50 GB). Using BackupLoupe, I discovered that they are overwhelmingly in the iPod Cache folder within the Photos library package, many 10's of GB. This seems to occur after I sync with my iPhone and iPad. Has anyone else seen this? Should (can?) I remove the iPod cache folder in my Time Machine backup options?
I'm wondering if, for some reason, the iPod Cache contents are being rebuilt each time I sync my device, or when I sync the alternate device. In any event, I really don't want this to eat up my Time Machine volume!
I haven't done this myself, but by definition a cache should be rebuilt when needed, so I don't see the harm in excluding iPod Cache from your Time Machine backups.

Since it's hidden inside the Photos Library package, I would do the following:
Open Time Machine preferences, click Options, click Plus to add a new exclusion, now in a Finder window right-click on Photos Library and choose Show Package Contents, navigate to the folder that contains iPod Cache and drag the icon for iPod Cache to the Exclude File dialog box that is open within Time Machine preferences, and click Exclude to close the dialog.

2017-08-02 at 13:05 #22857   (99)
(2017-07-29 at 09:02)nategold wrote:  Does anyone know how, on the iPhone, to get back from collections or years to moments, which I think is the most useful view most of the time?
On my iPhone 6S with iOS 10.3.3, the hierarchy of Photos is Years > Collections > Moments > Photo, so when I tap on a Year I see a Collection, then when I tap on a Collection, I see a Moment, and when I tap on a Moment, I see a single Photo. Then I can navigate back up the hierarchy using the left arrow button at the top left of my screen. Are you seeing something different?

2017-08-03 at 09:01 #22903   (100)
(2017-08-02 at 13:05)Scott Austin wrote:  On my iPhone 6S with iOS 10.3.3, the hierarchy of Photos is Years > Collections > Moments > Photo, so when I tap on a Year I see a Collection, then when I tap on a Collection, I see a Moment, and when I tap on a Moment, I see a single Photo. Then I can navigate back up the hierarchy using the left arrow button at the top left of my screen. Are you seeing something different?
From Moments you can go up to Collections --> Years, but I cannot find a way to go back down without swiping out the app.

Jim DeWitt Show this Post
2017-09-01 at 12:12 #24211   (101)
Jim DeWitt
How is it that Apple continued to support niche products like Mainstage – useful mostly to folks with MIDI gear – but abandons products like Aperture? Sometimes I think their marketing and development folks must use a dartboard.

2017-09-09 at 11:04 #24487   (102)
(2017-09-05 at 13:36)Barry Abrahamsen wrote:  Has any user of Aperture switched to High Sierra? How did it go? High Sierra doesn't sound like a "must update" version to me and I won't install High Sierra if it kills Aperture. I'm anxious to switch to something that provides about the same features as Aperture, but I haven't heard that any of the popular DAM/photo editing programs do.
I'm with you. I've used Aperture since it was first released (though I don't use it for image processing, only for cataloging), and I find it almost perfect. It keeps track of about 4 TB of my image files going back to 2003.

I tried Lightroom for a month a while back, and I really couldn't stand it. I've tried a few of the other applications as well. As for Photos -- blecch!

The only one that seemed to match Aperture's features and speed is Capture One Pro by Phase One. I played with the demo version for a few days, and I liked it. It may be as good as Aperture, though it's pricey at $300. My worry is that I'll run into glitches trying to import 4 TB of images. When the day comes that I have to switch, I'll probably import just one year at a time.

2017-09-11 at 07:20 #24517   (103)
(2017-09-09 at 11:04)Guest wrote:  I'm with you. I've used Aperture since it was first released (though I don't use it for image processing, only for cataloging), and I find it almost perfect. It keeps track of about 4 TB of my image files going back to 2003.
   I tried Lightroom for a month a while back, and I really couldn't stand it. I've tried a few of the other applications as well. As for Photos -- blecch!
  The only one that seemed to match Aperture's features and speed is Capture One Pro by Phase One. I played with the demo version for a few days, and I liked it. It may be as good as Aperture, though it's pricey at $300. My worry is that I'll run into glitches trying to import 4 TB of images. When the day comes that I have to switch, I'll probably import just one year at a time.
I still like Aperture for printing. I do a lot of middle school sports pics and need to gang-print wallets and 4x6. However, for most of my other work, I have moved to Capture 1 Pro and like it for processing RAW and convert to JPEG. It has a steep learning curve, and I have just scratched the surface with it. Just wish I could find a "modern" program that would gang-print the way Aperture does.

2017-09-11 at 12:08 #24524   (104)
craigc
(2017-09-09 at 03:54)Guest wrote:  
(2017-09-07 at 15:51)GFS wrote:  ... Export your individual Projects as Libraries. Then, Import/Merge them into a new Library (or leave them as separate as I've decided to do). All of my UI and Adjustments problems have been fixed by doing this. (Rebuilding/Repairing doesn't work).
Does this fix the lack of updated RAW developers problem Anon mentioned above? I have an Olympus OM-D1Mk2, and Aperture cannot process these files, although Photos can. I know I can import them into Aperture from Photos, but then I'd be working on them in Aperture as .jpg's. I want to keep them RAW in Aperture, so I can make adjustments to them before saving them in another format....
Try downloading Adobe's free DNG converter
   http://supportdownloads.adobe.com/detail.jsp?ftpID=6214
which will create a version readable by Aperture and still give you the RAW flexibility (just tested it on a RAW from that camera). In the Adobe DNG Converter preferences, there's an option to also embed the original RAW file if you need down the line. I feel your frustration! I'm begrudgingly moving to Lightroom even though I really don't care for it.

Funny story - I sent an email to Tim Cook a while back (that wasn't very nice) about the abandonment of Aperture and asked if could he at least fix some of the crash problems that I and others were having. A few days later I was working at my desk - with my iPhone off, mind you - and my Apple Watch started ringing. I answered it with a stunned "Hello?" and a very nice Aperture expert asked, "I heard you were having some problems with Aperture and would love to try to help you out!" Still stunned, she proceeded to take over my computer (still not exactly sure how that happened), asked me to do some of the things that were crashing Aperutre, sent me a link to some crazy apple website that allowed me to upload a huge log file, and thanked me, hung up, and left me frazzled for about an hour. Good times LOL

2017-09-12 at 12:05 #24566   (105)
(2017-07-29 at 09:02)nategold wrote:  Does anyone know how, on the iPhone, to get back from collections or years to moments, which I think is the most useful view most of the time?
Hi,

If you click on any row within the Years view, you will change to Collections. If you click on any row within the Collections view, you will get to Moments.

Paul

2017-09-22 at 19:41 #25418   (106)
I wonder if anyone can explain this:

Mac Mini runnng macOS 10.12.6.  I can't get it to import the RAW files into Photos, it only brings in the jpegs. I have to copy the RAW files into a Finder folder in order work on them in Affinity Photo.

My Mac OS X 10.6.8 machine running both iPhoto and Aperture imports both jpeg and RAW without a problem.

Not a deal-breaker but annoying.
Thanks.

2017-10-05 at 13:31 #26410   (107)
I am one of the many who don't like Photos and have doggedly held onto iPhoto on my MacBook Pro. iPhoto continues to work just fine under Sierra.... but do any of you other iPhoto hold-outs know if it will continue to work in High Sierra?

MbassadorK Show this Post
2017-10-23 at 20:14 #27393   (108)
MbassadorK
I have a related problem. Since somewhere along the line of updating to iOS 11 and High Sierra, I now have maybe a hundred photo albums on my iPhone, each one of them is a name of people I had in faces for earlier Photo. Many of them are duplicated as more than one album and they are not alphabetized. The problem is that when I try to search for a photo in an album I actually intentionally created in Photo, it's very difficult to find them because of all the albums I do not want but now have to scroll through to find the dozen or so albums I do want on my iPhone.

Does anyone know how I can delete those albums (with people's names) so they don't make me pull out what's left of my hair when I try to find the photo albums I want to search in?

2017-10-25 at 16:49 #27504   (109)
anonymous coward
(2017-10-23 at 20:14)MbassadorK wrote:  I have a related problem. Since somewhere along the line of updating to iOS 11 and High Sierra, I now have maybe a hundred photo albums on my iPhone, each one of them is a name of people I had in faces for earlier Photo. Many of them are duplicated as more than one album and they are not alphabetized. The problem is that when I try to search for a photo in an album I actually intentionally created in Photo, it's very difficult to find them because of all the albums I do not want but now have to scroll through to find the dozen or so albums I do want on my iPhone.
  Does anyone know how I can delete those albums (with people's names) so they don't make me pull out what's left of my hair when I try to find the photo albums I want to search in?
I've had the same issues already before with Sierra and iOS 10, but also now in High Sierra and iOS 11.

In my case, it seems to be an indication of an incomplete sync by iTunes. It is infuriating because iTunes gives no indication whatsoever that it is incomplete or failed, so you can't really help with fixing it.

In my case, I have tried:
  • syncing multiple times right after another. (it is mad how many different new things iTunes finds each time, things that should have been synced the first time. It seems that iTunes sync nowadays is just a meh- maybe- approximate- sometimes- complete, sometimes incomplete state of devices being in sync. I am convinced that Apple certainly does not now have anywhere near the required respect for my data that my data warrants. It doesn't just work.)
  • rebooting any and all of the involved devices
  • letting the Mac's software (photoanalysis, iTunes, Photos, etc) do their 30 min. after reboot re-scanning of all libraries until their CPU usage goes to 0%. (Not that my faces are finished being scanned in Photos - the number "left" varies from time to time)
  • turning off Time Machine - it seems to interfere with syncing
  • resetting and doing a clean wipe of the iPhone
If I get a sync to complete, it does get rid of the faces albums, shows my synced albums, and populates those albums with the appropriate photos. Usually, this state of bliss lasts less than a week, and then it is back to two months of f*** you, Apple.

Recently, I did get a sync to complete by syncing the iPhone (6, 128GB) to my i7 MacBook Pro (16GB RAM, 2,25TB Fusion) about 20 times in a row, with nothing else to disturb it from my side. For whatever reason, it finally found the 2500 photos that had been missing all along, and with it all of the albums etc.

As mentioned, I have no clue why the 19 ones before failed. I hate Apple for not giving appropriate information to debug. When I have mentioned these issues to Apple Geniuses, they seemed baffled, have never heard of anything like it before.

By the way, I am now actively replacing all Apple media cataloging software piece by piece. Music, Movies, Podcasts, and Photos. Since they are screwing up the faces in Photos.app, there's nothing left holding me back. I recently had to remove almost 10% of the faces identified as my wife. Why do they not ask to confirm? I have faces identified as people who were not born when the picture was taken. Why? Where's the intelligence in that? AI, machine learning? Get lost!

2017-10-26 at 11:03 #27540   (110)
(2017-10-23 at 20:14)MbassadorK wrote:  I have a related problem. Since somewhere along the line of updating to iOS 11 and High Sierra, I now have maybe a hundred photo albums on my iPhone, each one of them is a name of people I had in faces for earlier Photo. Many of them are duplicated as more than one album and they are not alphabetized. The problem is that when I try to search for a photo in an album I actually intentionally created in Photo, it's very difficult to find them because of all the albums I do not want but now have to scroll through to find the dozen or so albums I do want on my iPhone.
I had several dozen albums that still show a "number" for the number of photos in the album, but opening the album, they're all gone!

Turns out this is a new "feature" - the missing photos have all been "hidden" by me from the main photo album stream, a very reasonable use of the "hide photo" feature [but] his now "hides" all the same photos when they've been put in an album.

It wasn't like this before.
Boo!

2017-10-30 at 08:11 #27656   (111)
(2017-10-25 at 16:49)anonymous coward wrote:  
I've had the same issues already before with Sierra and iOS 10, but also now in High Sierra and iOS 11. In my case, it seems to be an indication of an incomplete sync by iTunes. It is infuriating because iTunes gives no indication whatsoever that it is incomplete or failed, so you can't really help with fixing it.
I've started getting this problem with an iPad but strangely not with my iPhone. I'm still on Sierra but did recently update iTunes to 12.7 and all my iOS devices to iOS 11.0.3. As it started after these updates, I'm assuming it's a bug and will see if it gets fixed in the next update(s) for iTunes/iOS. If not, I will wipe the iPad and restore to see if that fixes it.

2017-10-30 at 10:47 #27660   (112)
(2017-10-25 at 16:49)anonymous coward wrote:  In my case, it seems to be an indication of an incomplete sync by iTunes. It is infuriating because iTunes gives no indication whatsoever that it is incomplete or failed, so you can't really help with fixing it.
Recently, I did get a sync to complete by syncing the iPhone (6, 128GB) to my i7 MacBook Pro (16GB RAM, 2,25TB Fusion) about 20 times in a row, with nothing else to disturb it from my side. For whatever reason, it finally found the 2500 photos that had been missing all along, and with it all of the albums etc.
Exactly the problem I continue to pull my hair out over. I submitted a bug report to Apple and was asked to provide links to others having similar problems - I’ll be sending a link to your post as well.

2017-10-30 at 19:05 #27676   (113)
(2017-10-30 at 10:47)stembridge wrote:  ... Exactly the problem I continue to pull my hair out over. I submitted a bug report to Apple and was asked to provide links to others having similar problems - I’ll be sending a link to your post as well.
For what it's worth, after updating iOS to the latest version, synching of Photos and my Contacts seems to have stopped. Not sure why. Sierra on my iMac and iOS used to sync Photos and Contacts seamlessly and quickly. I had shut off the iCloud sync and synced only between my devices. Now, I've noticed it not working.

I tried turning the Contacts sync off and back on again on my iPhone SE, but that didn't correct it. I have yet to find a simple, workable solution for this. Mind you, I'm not doing anything fancy here, just syncing info between the devices. I tried doing it in iTunes, but that didn't have any effect on the problem. Contacts still didn't get synced.

2017-10-31 at 00:24 #27685   (114)
I am running macOS Sierra 10.12.6 on a late 2015 iMac.

In OSXDaily, as well as elsewhere, simple instructions are given for constructing a slideshow of images:

First: Select a picture or group of images from the desktop, then use the following:
• Option+Spacebar to launch image(s) into the full-screen slideshow mode
• Spacebar to pause/play the image slideshow
• Left Arrow to go back, Right Arrow to go forward

It works, except I cannot get all the images in the group to appear in full-screen mode (without individually transforming them to full-screen).

Does anyone know what I can do to automatically produce full-screen images in the slideshow?

ctmorrison Show this Post
2017-10-31 at 13:45 #27697   (115)
ctmorrison
(2017-10-30 at 19:05)RobertB wrote:  
(2017-10-30 at 10:47)stembridge wrote:  ... Exactly the problem I continue to pull my hair out over. I submitted a bug report to Apple and was asked to provide links to others having similar problems - I’ll be sending a link to your post as well.
For what it's worth, after updating iOS to the latest version, synching of Photos and my Contacts seems to have stopped. Not sure why. Sierra on my iMac and iOS used to sync Photos and Contacts seamlessly and quickly. I had shut off the iCloud sync and synced only between my devices. Now, I've noticed it not working.
   I tried turning the Contacts sync off and back on again on my iPhone SE, but that didn't correct it. I have yet to find a simple, workable solution for this. Mind you, I'm not doing anything fancy here, just syncing info between the devices. I tried doing it in iTunes, but that didn't have any effect on the problem. Contacts still didn't get synced.
I've noticed the same thing after upgrading to High Sierra. My Contacts and Photos seem to sync when they feel like it, if at all. I used to be amazed how quickly everything sync'd up and would show off to my friends and associates how convenient it was.

Even after a call to AppleCare during which they had me sign out of iCloud and back in (which created other issues with duplicate Contact entries), the problem which initially was seemingly resolved has re-surfaced.

Overall, things just don't seem to be as reliable as in the past. I sure miss Steve, who seemed to demand higher quality.

2017-10-31 at 22:56 #27737   (116)
(2017-10-31 at 00:24)williamja wrote:  I am running macOS Sierra 10.12.6 on a late 2015 iMac....
First: Select a picture or group of images from the desktop, then use the following:
It works, except I cannot get all the images in the group to appear in full-screen mode (without individually transforming them to full-screen). Does anyone know what I can do to automatically produce full-screen images in the slideshow?
I'm running El Cap. The control bar to start/stop a slideshow also has the arrow icon (on right) for "full screen".

2017-11-01 at 10:03 #27752   (117)
(2017-10-30 at 08:11)I wrote:  
(2017-10-25 at 16:49)anonymous coward wrote:  I've had the same issues already before with Sierra and iOS 10, but also now in High Sierra and iOS 11. In my case, it seems to be an indication of an incomplete sync by iTunes. It is infuriating because iTunes gives no indication whatsoever that it is incomplete or failed, so you can't really help with fixing it.
I've started getting this problem with an iPad but strangely not with my iPhone. I'm still on Sierra but did recently update iTunes to 12.7 and all my iOS devices to iOS 11.0.3. As it started after these updates, I'm assuming it's a bug and will see if it gets fixed in the next update(s) for iTunes/iOS. If not, I will wipe the iPad and restore to see if that fixes it.
Updated just iTunes to 12.7.1 - same problem.
Updated the iPad to iOS 11.1 - same problem.

Looks like neither of these new updates has fixed this issue.  :-(

2017-11-01 at 13:05 #27764   (118)
KJM
(2017-10-31 at 00:24)williamja wrote:  I am running macOS Sierra 10.12.6 on a late 2015 iMac.... simple instructions are given for constructing a slideshow of images...
This shortcut does not seem to work here in macOS High Sierra. But you get what you want (a slideshow with full screen images) by opening a group of pictures in Preview.app, then choosing View > Slideshow.

2017-11-01 at 13:16 #27766   (119)
(2017-10-31 at 00:24)williamja wrote:  ... First: Select a picture or group of images from the desktop, then use the following:
It works, except I cannot get all the images in the group to appear in full-screen mode (without individually transforming them to full-screen). Does anyone know what I can do to automatically produce full-screen images in the slideshow?
When I do this in macOS 10.12.6 on a MacBook Pro, the images open full-screen, and a disappearing/reappearing control strip allows switching out of full-screen mode. When out of full-screen mode, an illegible microscopic gray icon near the upper left of the window returns the view to full-screen mode when clicked.

2017-11-01 at 16:00 #27787   (120)
I recently took photos of paintings in a museum, and with each painting, a photo of the neighboring placard that displayed the name, artist, year, and other information about the painting. I'd love to "extract" the text from the photos and paste the (manually corrected) text as the title of the actual photo. Is there a plug-in or Photos add-on that can help me do this?