Login Register
MacInTouch Home Page MacInTouch Discussions

MacInTouch Amazon link...
Timbuktu Pro

2017-09-27 at 17:06 #25804   (41)
(2017-09-27 at 02:24)Binford wrote:  Has anyone had any luck getting Timbuktu 8.8.5 to run in High Sierra (either the betas or release version)? It was running reasonably well under Sierra....
  When I launch it, I get an error message stating "The Timbuktu Host failed to load. The application requires the Timbuktu Host.".
   I have Control-clicked the Timbuktu Pro app, chosen "Show Package Contents" and manually launched Timbuktu Host Menu, but the app still bounces a few times in the Dock and I receive the error noted above.
I can't speak for High Sierra, but in prior versions, getting Timbuktu to work required removing the quarantine attribute on several of its components, so that it would launch, as well as disabling SIP, if applicable.

It became too much of a hassle, so now I use the built-in screen sharing. It's not as good, but there are no hoops to jump through.

2017-09-30 at 01:30 #26063   (42)
I'm really glad to have found this thread after a google search. I have upgraded to High Sierra, and I can't get Timbuktu working. There is an included sh file to run which removes a quarantine, but the terminal tells me there is no quarantine on the files. Hmm. Other than that I get an error 10810 in the terminal when it tries running the 'Host' applications which are necessary for it to work properly. When I open the main Timbuktu program, it tells me that it needs the Host application for it to work right.

The sh file which should fix the issues has the following in it:

xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Timbuktu\ Pro/Timbuktu\ Pro.app/
xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Timbuktu\ Pro/Timbuktu\ Pro.app/Contents/SharedSupport/*.app
open /Applications/Timbuktu\ Pro/Timbuktu\ Pro.app/Contents/SharedSupport/*Host*.app
open /Applications/Timbuktu\ Pro/Timbuktu\ Pro.app
But again, none of it works for High Sierra, with the errors noted above. If someone can help find a fix for this, you'd be a lifesaver!

2017-10-01 at 01:26 #26103   (43)
(2017-09-30 at 01:30)thared33 wrote:  ... I have upgraded to High Sierra, and I can't get Timbuktu working. ...
I haven't tried Timbuktu in High Sierra. I do remember years ago there was an issue with a slightly older version working in what was then a new macOS. The latest version I have is 8.8.5 - are you running it?

JohnEDee Show this Post
2017-10-02 at 18:47 #26217   (44)
JohnEDee
I've been trying to get TB2 v8.8.5 working with High Sierra (10.13.0), and it's not working because the Timbuktu Host app (a prerequisite app inside the Timbuktu app package) is crashing at launch - at least it is on my test machine.

2017-10-02 at 22:34 #26227   (45)
Bottom Line: Timbuktu will not work in High Sierra. The code is referencing a feature that is not present in High Sierra.

I got the same error that James Cutler reported in post 25981 in the High Sierra discussion. When Timbuktu Host is launched from the command line it aborts because the symbol _SSDAskForPassword can not be found in /System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Versions/A/ScreenSaver.

I tried the latest developer beta of 10.13.1, same error.

Checking the ScreenSaver framework shows that the source code version changed from 272... to 279. I examined the binary: _SSDAskForPassword is present in Sierra's ScreenSaver but not in High Sierra. So ScreenSaver has definitely changed.

The High Sierra developer documentation for the ScreenSaver SDK says macOS 10.0+. It's possible this is a bug or oversight. It's also possible that the developer documentation hasn't been updated to reflect deleted functionality (a.k.a. feature removal).

2017-12-18 at 23:04 #30282   (46)
sth
(2017-10-02 at 22:34)CyborgSam wrote:  Bottom Line: Timbuktu will not work in High Sierra. The code is referencing a feature that is not present in High Sierra.
I got the same error that James Cutler reported in post 25981 in the High Sierra discussion. When Timbuktu Host is launched from the command line, it aborts because the symbol _SSDAskForPassword can not be found in /System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Versions/A/ScreenSaver.

From Apple Support:

Apple wrote:Engineering has provided the following information regarding this issue:
_SSDAskForPassword isn’t an API, it’s a string constant @"askForPassword”.
This string was removed a part of a security fix. It was unused, as the screen saver hasn’t been responsible for dealing with passwords in ages.
It was not publicly exported, and should never have been referenced in external code.

2018-04-02 at 18:26 #36062   (47)
(2017-10-02 at 22:34)CyborgSam wrote:  Bottom Line: Timbuktu will not work in High Sierra. The code is referencing a feature that is not present in High Sierra ...
When Timbuktu Host is launched from the command line it aborts because the symbol _SSDAskForPassword can not be found in /System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Versions/A/ScreenSaver.
I seem to have found a solution to that.
   http://home.earthlink.net/~ahunter3/More...Can....jpg

I copied
  /System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Versions/A/ScreenSaver
from an OS X 10.11.6 ("El Capitan") box to the Desktop of the High Sierra environment, then invoked Terminal and ran chown to change the owner and group to root and wheel, respectively:

Mac:
sudo chown root:wheel /Users/me/Desktop/ScreenSaver
Then came the fun part. The OS won't let you move or replace
so I connected the hard drive to the El Capitan box as an external drive and ran the assault on it from there (after having a bootable backup available in case things blew up — kudos to Carbon Copy Cloner). With the drive no longer the bootup volume, I was allowed to make the substitution.

Reboot into High Sierra and launch Timbuktu, and it came on board with no complaints. In the linked screen-shot it is connected to an older box running Snow Leopard with Eudora in the foreground.

*Additional note: I should confess that I performed the above operation on a virtual machine (in Parallels) as a first order proof of concept.

[Follow-up...]
Verified: really does work on an actual hardware Mac running High Sierra.

2018-04-11 at 16:10 #36581   (48)
I've managed to resurrect this software on High Sierra without changing the System Folder or disabling SIP.

I copied the ScreenSaver.framework from Mac OS 10.11 and placed it at
  /SysTB2/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/

I then opened
  /Applications/Timbuktu Pro/Timbuktu Pro.app/Contents/SharedSupport/Timbuktu Host.app/Contents/MacOS/Timbuktu Host
in a Hex Editor, searched for the string
and changed it to
/SysTB2/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Versions/A/ScreenSaver
You can then use chflags to hide the SysTB2 folder for appearance's sake if desired:
chflags hidden /SysTB2
It is still necessary to run the commands referenced previously in this thread to remove the quarantine flag from the binaries and run the software for the first time after patching the Timbuktu Host binary.

http://diskfutility.com/files/mac/tb2patched.png

2018-04-11 at 17:35 #36586   (49)
(2018-04-11 at 16:10)ryan42 wrote:  I've managed to resurrect this software on High Sierra without changing the System Folder or disabling SIP.
I copied the ScreenSaver.framework from Mac OS 10.11 and placed it at
/SysTB2/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/ ...
Genius, many thanks. One thing to point our for the less tech savvy: Ryan used the six character name SysTB2 to replace the six characters in System. A general rule for using a hex editor is to never add or subtract characters - the file could become unusable.