Jan. 28, 2010
Jan. 29, 2010
Jan. 30, 2010
Mar. 3, 2010

Newer entries...
Jun. 22, 2009

item.94649

Jen Cluse

I have a difficulty with the Eudora Filters file that I can't find any reference to, even here!

I continue to use Eudora (in spite of its many problems these days) for one reason, the editable Subject line. It is achieved quite simply, I've see mentioned, by the App maintaining two [fields] for the Subject, one for the original message and a user editable one. So many newsletters etc., are sent out with the same subject line week after week, some people's subjects are not what they write about, etc., and the ability to annotate a useful email is essential to me. (As it is to Ric, I see here. Hi Ric.)

That's why I stick with Eudora. My current problem is I that have a 25 year collection of filters, which over the years have become congested and confused, until recently I messed something somewhere in the (1,100+) filters such that spam was going into my ISP's folder, and white stuff into my Junk folder! Impossible to find normally.

So, to the Eudora folder, and yes I can open Eudora Filters in a text editor/WP. After the usual Find/Replace runs (most easily done in Mariner Write, I found) I had a text file, one line per filter, to get stuck into in my spreadsheet.

What a mess!

TWO days later I have removed all the duplicates, rubbish, typos, and silly entries, simplified each filter to a single function, and sorted them so that high priority 'good' filters are the first Eudora things has to work with, and ending with all the junk filters for it to finish up on.

Saved (in Excel) as a text file, and after a simple Find/Replace into what appears to be an identical format to the original messy file, I find that Eudora CANNOT read it as a filter file. (The initial problem, a permissions query, was due to the file still being set to open in Write, even though it was a txt file.)

The text was set to use UTF-8 in Write, it's 'simplest' choice, but when Eudora opens the file as a text file, there are stange characters visible, and I suspect that these are the problem. TextWrangler set to Zap Gremlins achieves nowt.

Eudora has been around nearly as long as its namesake (she died 2001, aged 92), and I guess it would have used basic ASCII text when first built, and probably didn't change.

Has anyone been this route, and and if so, is my guesswork correct? Did you find a solution perhaps? Help most appreciated.

Cheers.

[Two suggestions or ideas: For editing a text file like this, you want to edit and save in pure ASCII text format. (I find that easy to do from BBEdit, which is one of my primary tools.) The other suggestion is to use a Bayesian spam filter instead of trying to write spam filters yourself. I've been very happy with SpamSieve, and it's priced quite reasonably. -Ric Ford]

item.94662

Frank Parth

There is a Mac Eudora discussion list that has a number of experts on it. That may be the place to ask your question. Join at <mailto:join-eudora-mac@lists.listmoms.net>

item.94668

Daniel Cohen

What line endings did you use during the conversion?

I think Eudora, because of its age, requires Carriage Return only.

item.94672

Mike Johnson

Like many others, I remain a die hard Eudora user. I have used Eudora on a Mac for more than 19 years (perhaps since 1988 but could have 1990).

Eudora is an orphaned product no longer in development. It will be broken one day by some Apple OS upgrade and be rendered useless.

I hope some other die hard Eudora users have found some other email program that we die hard Eudora users will be happy with.

None so far have met the challenge, at least none that I am aware about.

It will be tough for me to change after 19+ years but I will have to find a Eudora substitute sooner or later (I live in fear sooner may be lurking).

Have any other Eudora users found a happy solution?

Jun. 23, 2009

item.94699

Skot Nelson

My personal views on Eudora-lifers notwithstanding, this is your defined path forward:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Penelope

officially sponsored by Qualcomm.

item.94705

Ton B

Eudora Filters looks like a text file. Line endings are only "Carriage Return" (x0D). Text encoding should be "Mac OS Roman". The file should not have an extension. It also requires a Type and Creator. The Type is 'iFuE' and the Creator is 'mOSC'.

The best editor to clean up this file in my opinion is "BBEdit" or "TextWrangler". Creator and Type can be set using "Super Get Info".

I hope this helps

item.94716

George Palfi

I have been following, for a year and half the progress of a program that started off as Odysseus, but is now called MailForge, and is designed to be a Eudora successor. It is not a finished product, but worth looking at. They have a 30 day free trial. Check out the fora for comments. Find it at http://www.infinitydatasystems.com/

item.94718

Amir Caspi

Mike Johnson asked, "Have any other Eudora users found a happy solution?"

While I haven't yet used it, MailForge was created to recreate and improve upon the Eudora interface and features using a modern codebase. It is supposed to be much better than Penelope, which is simply a Thunderbird extension. I haven't had any personal experience with MailForge, but if it lives up to its promises, it should be a good replacement.

item.94719

Jim Hall

I think Mailforge is coming along nicely and will make a good Eudora replacement. Not quite ready for super power users, but worth taking for a trial spin. The only thing holding me back from committing to it 100% is its inability to import Eudora's address categories intact.

However given the pace of development I expect that within a month or so. Go to http://www.infinitydatasystems.com/ and give it a 30 day free trial. You might be heartened at what you see.

And, no, I don't work for Infinity Data Systems.

item.94721

John Baltutis

Not looking yet, since Eudora 5.2.1 runs well in Leopard on both of my machines: G4, 450 MP and 24" iMac 2.8 GHz.

item.94725

Jeff Hecht

Mike Johnson wrote

Have any other Eudora users found a happy solution?

I downloaded MailForge 1.0 and succeeded in importing a huge backlog of Eudora files, but I haven't tested it seriously yet. So far, it looks like it might offer much of Eudora's functionality, but not all the familiar features. Infinity Data Systems has a web site forum in which a few early users complain that the 1.0 version isn't ready, but I haven't tried it enough to say one way or another.

It looks promising to me, but I don't have time to do serious testing at the moment. I would say MailForge looks worth trying, especially if you're having trouble with Eudora. The biggest problem I'm seeing with the current Eudora is its poor handling of HTML formatted e-mail and its inability to read some e-mail that seems to be javascript based. (They show up as blank messages, but I see real mail there if I open in the browser.)

item.94731

MacInTouch Reader

Still using Eudora 6.2.4 here.

I would have started the filter cleanup project in Eudora. (If you still have a backup of original before alterations, you can start over.)

First, you can reduce filters by eliminating filters marked with dinosaurs.

<x-eudora-setting:9707> Number of days of non-use before a filter is considered old.

I have mine set at 30 days. If your filter hasn't been triggered in that long, something above it is catching the mail if you are still getting mail it should catch.

While Spam Sieve may be good at catching spam, you also need to make sure good mail goes where you want it to go before the spam filter has a chance to record a false positive.

<x-eudora-setting:32470> Mail must score at least this much on the Junk-O-Meter to land in the Junk mailbox.

I have setting 32470 set to 63 to let Eudora catch the worst stuff, then I have filters select mail from lists and route that as needed.

Then I have Eudora toss anything over 35 in the Junk mailbox. That gets most of it altho there are a few hits for Junk criteria after that.

item.94739

Any Mouse

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/7107/eudora

:+>

item.94746

Michael Alderete

I think if you read back through the Eudora topic on MacInTouch, you'll find many people's Eudora thoughts and replacements, including my own.

The short version: I started using Eudora when it hit 3.0. I used the paid commercial version until shortly after it was announced that Qualcomm was killing it, and the Cocoa rewrite would never see the light of day, towards the end of 2006.

I switched to Apple Mail. It is not Eudora. If you need a perfect Eudora substitute, you will not find it, and you will be unhappy. If you can adjust your way of using email, to ways that work well in Apple Mail, it is a perfectly adequate substitute. (Others will surely disagree on this. ;-)

I still miss some things about Eudora, and see people mention them regularly in the Eudora discussions here. Pangs of nostalgia. But in the end, I'm reasonably happy with Apple Mail. I'm happy not because it works like Eudora, but because I now work like Apple Mail, and while it's different from Eudora, it is a very well-executed email client.

item.94747

Ed Goss

I doubt that an adequate replacement will ever be written, but I'm in the process of trying to wean myself from my beloved Eudora mail app to Apple's Mail, and have found work-arounds for most of my issues, but this one has me stumped.

In Eudora, I had my Inbox set to open unread messages in a new window with a double-click, so I could read them and determine where I would file them. I have been able to get Mail to mimic this by eliminating the lower View window pane. I then double-click to open the message in a new window. So far, so good. But, here's the problem:
I can set Eudora to open the next unread message when I transfer the message to a mailbox, or delete the message, saving me from double-clicking each message. I've searched everywhere in Mail and can't find a way to do this simple action. Anyone with an idea how to accomplish this? I have been totally frustrated with the lack of customization available in Mail compared to the now-ancient, but wonderfully efficient, Eudora.

item.94748

Jen Cluse

Regarding my question(s) re Eudora Filters yesterday:

Thank you Ric. My first move was to have a look at SpamSieve, after I recalled that you also earlier recommended it. If you are still convinced, that was good enough for me. A quick trial shows me that all my work on my filters was fairly pointless really, except that SpamSieve was kind enough to extract 121 'good' addresses from my problem Filter file. In about .005 second!

Frank & Daniel: good sound suggestions, and your link, Frank, is now filed. Thank you both. If SpamSieve crashes I'll be digging out your tips.

And possibly good news for you, Mike. Have a look at a recent release, MailForge,
  http://www.infinitydatasystems.com/mailforge/index.html
and I suspect you might be happier. The developers have certainly captured the look and feel of Eudora Classic, which will make my 92 yr. old poorly sighted mother happy. She finds it increasingly difficult to handle any changes, and a lot of people with sight limitations are the same. They too will welcome a modern Eudora.

MailForge does not yet support an editable Subject line (as far as I could see) but it is early days yet, and very well priced.

MacInTouch effects yet another rescue :) Thanks all.

item.94749

Andrew Main

Mike Johnson asks, "Have any other Eudora users found a happy solution?"

I used Eudora in late Mac OS 9 and early OS X, but was not wedded to any special features therein, and I switched to Apple Mail when it appeared, for its more Mac-harmonious interface, and because as a Mac support guy I figured I ought to be familiar with what most people are using. So I haven't kept up with developments myself, but from what I've read here's the situation:

As noted above, when Qualcomm abandoned Eudora, they turned it over to the Penelope project, who were tasked with modifying the open-source Thunderbird client into an up-to-date Eudora.

Early Penelope results didn't seem very promising to many Eudora enthusiasts, so when the Odysseus project (now Mailforge) was announced optimism grew that a worthy Eudora successor might eventually result from that quarter.

Nevertheless, one Eudora loyalist, Mac journalist Charles Moore, seems to be finding happiness with the latest Penelope project release.

You can try both; Penelope/Eudora is free, Mailforge costs $40 ($20 edu).

Jun. 24, 2009

item.94761

Tom Wilson

I use the following procedure for dealing with junk mail in Eudora 6.2.4 (Intel iMac, OS 10.5.7):

Filter using SpamSieve (happens automatically); very few false negatives (some weeks none, some weeks 2 or 3)

Open the Junk mailbox and scan for false positives (very rare but it happens)

Select all (cmd-Select All)

Instantly permanently erase all junk mail (shift-option-^H)

This way I keep junk mail entirely separate from other mail I've marked for deletion by putting it in the Trash mailbox but want to keep for a bit. Cleaning out the Junk mailbox each time makes scanning for false positives a realistic possibility

In addition, I have the following on the Main Toolbar:

comd-"j"
Junk (opens Junk Mailbox - on toolbar by default)
comd-Select All
shift-option-^H

With these commands directly available, processing junk mail goes very rapidly.

I hope MailForge will offer this capability in the not-to-distant future.

item.94766

Mike Johnson

Wow! Many thanks for all the MacInTouch user comments and opinions of the other currently available Mac email programs, in consideration of replacement for now orphaned Eudora.

I had indeed watched the development progress of other email program's attempts to provide Eudora replacements.

It looks like, from opinions here, Mailforge and Apple Mail likely are good candidates for Eudora replacements.

Mailforge has good set of Eudora features and potential for future improvements. I was not happy with early Odysseus/Mailforge versions but perhaps they have indeed improved with more recent versions.

Apple Mail is of course a useable, good email program, but as mentioned here I would have to learn a new way of using email programs and change to Mail's way of doing it.

The Penelope add on to ThunderBird early on was not attractive to me, but again perhaps recent versions are better.

The real problem for me and likely other die hard Eudora users, is with 20+ years of use, I am of course familiar with all Eudora's quirks, warts & wrinkles, and certainly with its power and flexibility. All that does make one reticent to change.

Sigh, the price of the march of technology. As they say in proctology school, "All things must pass!" :)

I will give MailForge & Apple Mail another close look before making the leap. Thanks again.

item.94777

Tony Schaps

Skot Nelson wrote:

"My personal views on Eudora-lifers notwithstanding, this is your defined path forward..."

I don't understand the antagonism toward Eudora enthusiasts. I used it for about 8 years, then switched to Mail because the writing was on the wall. I was a power user of Eudora, and now I am a power user of Mail, but I am not nearly as productive with email as I used to be. With the myriad of settings, customizable mailbox behavior, and amazingly flexible filters, you could get Eudora to mimic the way your brain works, to show and flow the best way for you to see and work with email, and that's different for each individual.

The way Eudora has been dismissed and was nearly dead but has now showed signs of coming back to life reminds me of a certain computer maker. Name slips my mind...

item.94785

Markus Frischknecht

I've been using more than one email application for a while now in order to find the best replacement for Eudora on my machine (no decision made yet). Just like Jen Cluse, I like the possibility of editing the subject of a message. To accomplish this in Apple's Mail.app, there's a very useful Applescript solution found here:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20041021072014781

I've been using a simplified version for a while now, and although it's not perfect, it works reasonably well for email you have stored locally (though I don't think you can update the subject of the original messages on an IMAP server).

item.94820

Daniel Cohen

I tried Odysseus/Mailforge while it was free. Way too many crashes and I lost faith in it. Even the latest version had a crash. Maybe I'll look at it again when I can no longer use Eudora (that is, when Rosetta is removed), but not yet.

In addition to Penelope (is that still being developed?), there is an actual Eudora (related to Penelope) in development. It may be free or may not, hasn't been decided yet.

Following a suggestion on the TidBits forums, I had a look at Gyazmail. Half the price of MailForge, and a brief trial of it left me liking it.

item.94821

Skot Nelson

Re:

I don't understand the antagonism toward Eudora enthusiasts.

I don't have any anatgonism. I do think that it's time to move along and accept that Eudora is dead. It had workflow features that people obviously liked, but lacks numerous other more recent innovations.
(Apple's smart folders in Mail are, IMHO, one of the the greatest advancements in dealing with large quantities of email in recent years.)

I was the sole IT person at a small company for a while and one of the managers insisted on using Eudora (on Windows, mind you) for reasons he could never articulate. I simply refused to support him or troubleshoot problems on it in any way, given its status.

It's not antagonism though. It's just the reality that, as Bones McCoy would say, "He's dead, Jim." (And if he's not dead yet, you can be certain that Eudora is the red-shirted ensign on this mission.)

Jun. 25, 2009

item.94844

Mark Hattam

Having decided to move away from Eudora once it started misbehaving on my 2008 iMac, I've found it a lot easier to run a IMAP server (Dovecot), which utilises DSpam for server-side junking of SPAM, and server-side filtering of mail. Then I can run any mail program I want, eg Apple's Mail on the iMac or Thunderbird on the PC, or SquirrelMail for remote WebMail access, and all these programs don't have to have anything special setup (eg junk filters, mail filters etc).

Also in response to one previous comment, you really do need to pass all your incoming mail through the junk filtering program, as it needs to "learn" which is good and which is bad. That way you get far less false positives. It might make mistakes initially while it's learning, but you then tell it what it got wrong, and it improves.

Jun. 26, 2009

item.94951

Ron Belisle

I used Eudora for years and finally switched to Apple Mail about 4 years ago. The one big thing I miss is being able to set outgoing e-mail to send at a later time. I know that can be done with iCal and Apple Mail, but it's a hassle. Eudora made it so simple.

Jun. 27, 2009

item.94996

Rick Gordon

Another key [feature] with Eudora missing from other Mail programs I've used is the ability to edit the sender line. I maintain about 100 email aliases, most of which forward to one or various combinations of four actual email accounts. The ability to change the sender to whatever I needed, without having to create a separate dummy account just to be able to use that address makes things very much easier.

item.95012

Eric Z

For the people who are lamenting the loss of Claris Emailer labels:
Take a look in OSX Mail.app. It isn't called labels any more, but it can be done.

Format > Show Colors will display the color picker. (Cmd+shift+c) will also do it.

Jun. 29, 2009

item.95032

Kevin Lepard

I finally changed from Eudora to Apple Mail when 10.5 came out. I was reluctant, but Eudora was dead and it was time to move on.

The biggest issue I had with the program was the ability to file messages easily was terrible. The fantastic MsgFiler
   http://www.tow.com/msgfiler/
worked around that problem for me. It narrowly edges out SpamSieve as the best money I've spent on an email product since buying Eudora at $8.

My biggest issue now is that there is no practical way to bcc emails to people. :-(
I'd pay another $8 if there were a software add-on that would let me do that.

item.95055

DV Henkel-Wallace

Rick Gordon misses Eudora's ability to edit the sender line when using Mail.app. The capability is there, though you may judge it more or less cumbersome according to taste (I actually find it more convenient):

When you set up an account in Mail Preferences, as the email address you can actually enter several alternatives, separated by commas (e.g. foo@example.com, bar@example.com, baz@example1.com). Then your message composition window will offer a pulldown selector of the names entered.

item.95065

Miguel Chavez

Rick Gordon wrote:

Another key [feature] with Eudora missing from other Mail programs I've used is the ability to edit the sender line. I maintain about 100 email aliases, most of which forward to one or various combinations of four actual email accounts. The ability to change the sender to whatever I needed, without having to create a separate dummy account just to be able to use that address makes things very much easier.

Actually you don't have to create dummy accounts. Just keep adding as many email addresses as you like in the "Email Address" field in your Apple Mail Account Preferences, separated by commas. So for instance you could enter in that field "johndoe@zxy.com, jdoe@zxy.com, johnd@zxy.com, johndoe@aol.com, help@zxy.com" and each sender is selectable when composing a new message. As long as your SMTP server is cool with you using such aliases, then you're all set.

item.95086

Chris Evans

I must admit that I am totally shocked that nobody decided to purchase the Eudora source code and continue to develop it after Qualcomm decided to abandon it. Look at all the posts on Macintouch in relation to Eudora so many years after Qualcomm's announcement. Thousands. I still use Eudora, and I am afraid that I have been unable to find a replacement email app that is even close to Eudora in many respects. It would appear that there are many others in my situation. It also looks like many Eudora users, realizing the inevitable, are switching to "compromise" email clients as they have no other choice. What a sad state of affairs.

item.95093

Leonard Cecil

Rick Gordon,

I just did this with my MobileMe account and it automagically works with Apple Mail. Reason: I wanted to change my MobleMe email account address and was told I would only be able to do so by cancelling my MobileMe account and then setting up a new one

OR

I could set up an alias.

Now the alias is in a dropdown which is available in every email I wish to send. I get the choice between the "real" account and this newly created alias.

And it works, too!

item.95098

Darrel Knutson

Re:

I must admit that I am totally shocked that nobody decided to purchase the Eudora source code and continue to develop it after Qualcomm decided to abandon it.

I'm sure it has to do with difficulty in transferring licenses for the old code from the University of Illinois that Qualcomm took over when they continued development.

Personally, I will be sticking with Eudora until it no longer works.

item.95102

Michael Cohen

Kevin Lepard writes about Apple Mail,

"My biggest issue now is that there is no practical way to bcc emails to people."

There certainly is: Choose View->Bcc Address Field or type Option-Command-B.

item.95109

Gregory Weston

Chris Evans comments:

"I must admit that I am totally shocked that nobody decided to purchase the Eudora source code and continue to develop it after Qualcomm decided to abandon it."

This presumes that Qualcomm was interested in *selling* it though, yeah? I haven't used Eudora in years, although I was a fan of it at one time, but checking the current status of the product, it doesn't really seem to be abandoned. They're leveraging Thunderbird for the foundational behavior but allegedly intend to maintain the user experience to the degree they're able, and as long as that's the plan I wouldn't expect they'd be willing to cede the source code for that behavior to another (likely private) entity. The last build seems to have been released about 2 months ago, so it doesn't look dead.

item.95113

MacInTouch Reader

Re: Kevin Lepard

"I finally changed from Eudora to Apple Mail when 10.5
My biggest issue now is that there is no practical way to bcc emails to people. :-( "

There may be an easier way but I set .Mail to bcc myself on everything I send and I can add anyone's addresses in the same box.

Jun. 30, 2009

item.95133

MacInTouch Reader

In response to Chris Evans:

I don't believe the source code for Eudora was ever up for sale.

However, several Eudora developers still spend at least a portion of their time working on the Penelope project, which aims to bring some of Eudora's functionality to the Mozilla/Thunderbird code base:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/penelope

item.95144

MacInTouch Reader

To view the Bcc: field in OS X Mail, go to View menu > Bcc Address Field. If I'm not mistaken, it'll always be there afterwards.

item.95148

John Baltutis

Eudora 5.2.1 runs on Tiger and Leopard w/o issues. Mail is kludgy in comparison, but I don't use filters or have multiple accounts/users on my single-user machines.

item.95150

Bob Ball

I've used Eudora since the 1990s, and came to prize it in retirement for its search ability. I freelance for a couple of suburban newspapers, and find it easy to enter 2-3 words or names to find all that I've written in the past about a topic in a specific mailbox.

I'll switch to something else when Eudora no longer works. I'd switch to Apple Mail for its integration with other Apple apps if it could search. It's supposed to be able to, but I can't search "entire message" in a specific mailbox. I've followed half a dozen techniques for fixing the problem, but none have worked.

Eudora may no longer be in development. But Apple isn't spending much effort developing Mail. It's had this problem since at least 10.4 and hasn't resolved it yet.

item.95172

Bob Wolfe

I'm still happy with Eudora, except for one thing: it's giving me an error message every 120 seconds when it can't find the old ad server. Does anybody have a workaround?

Jul. 1, 2009

item.95182

Mark Miller

Bob Wolfe writes:

I'm still happy with Eudora, except for one thing: it's giving me an error message every 120 seconds when it can't find the old ad server. Does anybody have a workaround?

It sounds like Bob is still using an ad supported version of Eudora. He can still get the last version, 6.2.4, which is unlocked, at:
  http://www.eudora.com/download/

item.95189

Alex Kac

Bob Ball writes:

I'll switch to something else when Eudora no longer works. I'd switch to Apple Mail for its integration with other Apple apps if it could search. It's supposed to be able to, but I can't search "entire message" in a specific mailbox. I've followed half a dozen techniques for fixing the problem, but none have worked.

That's exactly how I use Mail today and have for years. I'm constantly searching and it works extremely well - both for in specific folders and all over. But I am using it with IMAP.

I assume you may be using it with a POP account? Have you considered trying it with IMAP? No idea if that may be the difference, but I find Mail's search to be spectacular 100% of the time.

item.95209

Walter Ian Kaye

To Bob Wolfe: Which version of Eudora is giving you that issue? I'm using 5.1.1, and the ad windoid just sits there quietly. (Yep, I still call them things windoids. Too cute a name to stop using!)

item.95210

Klaus Fechner

I believe that Eudora has one freezing issue with Leopard, or possibly only on Intel Macs (I forget which). The classic built-in "new mail" sound ("da-dih-dah") and the "error" sound ("dih-da-dih") are not playable sound files and make it freeze up solid. The solution is to select alternate sounds for both in the notification section of the settings. I've always had the old QuickMail (anyone remember that?) new mail sound "bing" as a custom resource since Eudora 1.5 or thereabouts, so it wasn't an issue for me. Eudora is still rock solid for me on both a single G5, my wife's G4 PowerBook and my MacBook.

I hope this keeps a few Eudora enthusiasts in the fold :-)

item.95221

David Dunham

Re:

I believe that Eudora has one freezing issue with Leopard, or possibly only on Intel Macs (I forget which). The classic built-in "new mail" sound ("da-dih-dah") and the "error" sound ("dih-da-dih") are not playable sound files and make it freeze up solid. The solution is to select alternate sounds for both in the notification section of the settings.

I'm still using Eudora on Leopard on an Intel Mac, and have never changed the sounds.

Jul. 2, 2009

item.95228

Bob Wolfe

I'm using 6.2.4 in sponsored mode. I could make the annoying error message go away by switching to Light Mode, but that would switch off all the things that make Eudora addictive

item.95231

George Berger

Possibly a dumb question, but was Eudora 6.2.4 a binary release? Will it work in Snow Leopard?

item.95238

Michael Alderete

Klaus Fechner wrote:

"I've always had the old QuickMail (anyone remember that?) new mail sound "bing" as a custom resource since Eudora 1.5 or thereabouts."

Amen brother! That same sound has followed me for 20+ years now, since I first set up QuickMail in the Athletics department at UC Berkeley when I was a student there. Taking it with me when I transitioned to Eudora was, IIRC, the reason I first acquired and learned to use ResEdit (another blast from the past).

For what it's worth, that same sound, saved at ~/Library/Sounds/Mail_Notify.aiff, works just fine for me with Apple Mail. ;-)

item.95249

Michelle Steiner

To Alex Kac:

I have had no problem searching in a specific mailbox using "entire text" with my POP3 account. Whatever Bob Ball's problem is, I doubt that it's related to POP3 accounts.

item.95250

Michael Finney

I have a Eudora issue that I haven't heard anyone else mention. It has to do with the way Eudora handles certificates. In Leopard, Mac OS X switched from using X509 Anchors (whatever those are) to storing certificates in the system keychain. Eudora continues to expect the old behavior. This only becomes a problem because I use SSL and some of my servers have self-signed certificates. This apparently causes some sort of memory overflow that causes Eudora to crash after checking mail a few hundred times, with an error message involving invalid certificates. No great harm, no data loss, but I have to restart Eudora a couple of times a day. This is Eudora 6.2.4 on any version of Leopard on a Macbook Pro.

Any ideas?

item.95253

Colleen Thompson

Bob Ball commented

"I'd switch to Apple Mail for its integration with other Apple apps if it could search. It's supposed to be able to, but I can't search "entire message" in a specific mailbox. I've followed half a dozen techniques for fixing the problem, but none have worked."

Works here. There must be something wrong with your system?

You do need to start by displaying the mailbox you want to search in, then click on the mailbox's name in the search toolbar that appears when you type a search string, then click on "Entire Message" in the toolbar.

item.95255

Klaus Fechner

Re: Eudora freezing and sounds.

Here is a "Notice to OS X 10.5 'Leopard' users" from the Eudora download site at
   http://www.eudora.com/download/:

In order for Macintosh Eudora to work well under OS X 10.5.x 'Leopard', you need to turn off the use of specific sounds in Eudora. These are the sounds Eudora plays when you get new mail or Eudora needs your attention, or are played by Filters. The sounds that are problematic are the ones that contain 'Eudora' in their name as they were created using a sound synthesizer that Leopard does not support. To disable or change the sounds used in Eudora, do the following:

Turn off or change the 'New Mail' and "Attention" sounds:

Open Eudora->Preferences and select the 'Getting Attention' panel
In the 'Sounds' section, for both 'New mail sound' and 'Attention sound', select a sound OTHER than one that has 'Eudora' in its name (ie. NOT 'Eudora Attention', 'Eudora New Mail' nor 'Eudora Short Warning')
Click OK to the close the Preferences
Turn off sounds triggered by filters:

Open Window->Filters
Look through all your filters for filters that have a 'Play Sound' action.
Select a sound that does NOT have 'Eudora' in its name, or disable sounds all together by selecting 'None' from the action popup menu.

If it doesn't freeze for you, be happy. :-)

item.95260

Walter Ian Kaye

I stopped using sounds in Eudora when they began sounding corrupted, just to be on the safe side. But it was only the PureVoice plugin that made Eudora crash.

Jul. 3, 2009

item.95274

Daniel Cohen

Eudora is PPC only, and runs under Rosetta on Intel machines. I don't have any specific knowledge of Snow Leopard, but what I have read suggests that it will have Rosetta, but as an optional install, not part of basic installation.

As for getting rid of ads, there is a way, but it would certainly be illegal if Eudora was still being sold. It's presumably still technically illegal, but I doubt if anyone would object. Google is your friend.

item.95301

Todd Bangerter

For Bob Wolfe's advertising server problem, if he can obtain the hostname of the ad server that's trying to be contacted, he can simply add an entry to his /etc/hosts file that points that hostname to 127.0.0.1 (the local loopback). This should eliminate the name resolution problem (and its error message), and hopefully it won't trigger an error message when it gets a "connection refused" trying to connect to his own machine.

item.95302

Bob Ball

I'm aware that some Mail.app users have no problem with searching an entire message in a particular mailbox. But Googling for something like "apple mail search entire" should show that a lot of people haven't found an answer, that there are perhaps 5-6 recipes for repair, from rebuilding the Spotlight indices to scrapping an "envelope index," that have worked for some. I've tried every one I can find. Search "entire message," by the way, works for me for "all mailboxes." I use a Santa Rosa MBP, 10.5.7, POP account on Charter.

Jul. 4, 2009

item.95322

Jeff Fishbein

I've been following the recent Eudora discussion with some curiosity. Actually, my first thought was, "Really? There's still a Eudora?"

Yes, it is (was?) a marvelous and useful program. For that matter, so is Pine, but most people don't use that any more (and most Mac users probably aren't aware it's part of their Unix-based OS).

But it also appears Eudora is going to be gone forever, and people just need to suck it up and find an alternative. No, there is no one program that can do *everything* Eudora did. Sometimes life is about making concessions.

I gave up on Eudora when I moved to OSX, and chose Powermail. I thought it was the closest in operability; others disagree. Some pick Apple Mail or Thunderbird, although the motivating factor there seems to be cost -- but if you wanted all the features of Eudora, and weren't willing to put up with those godawful ads, you had to pay for it, too.

There are more than 20 e-mail clients for OSX available, based on a quick search I just did. Surely among those there's *one* that each person here who adores Eudora can tolerate as its replacement.

We've gone from 68000s to PPCs to Intel and survived. We've gone through numerous OS revisions, including the major change from Mac OS to OS X and survived. Claris has effectively gone away, and we survived. This, too, shall pass.

[And why, exactly, do all of us whose productivity is enhanced by Eudora *need* to make these "concessions"? Certainly, the current Mac platform can support Eudora's features, as long as some application developer finds it worthwhile to provide them, which is exactly what Infinity Data Systems is trying to do with MailForge (formerly "Odysseus"). -Ric Ford]

item.95324

Bob Wolfe

Daniel Cohen's tip was on the money (if Qualcomm still wanted any...).

MacInTouch is also my friend!

item.95340

Rich Cruse

I don't know if this helps but in the Spotlight prefs panel, you will see Search Results tab. There you can select which results are displayed in Spotlight and in what order the results are displayed. Make certain the Mail Messages box is checked. I am amazed how easy searching mail is. I don't know why your mail isn't showing up in search unless you are not saving the mail to your computer. Check your mail account settings and be sure the mail is being stored locally on your Mac.

Dec. 22, 2009

item.106604

Edward Goss

In my continuing search for an adequate replacement for Eudora, I tried the MailForge program a while back. I was not satisfied with it as a replacement, and trashed it after using it for about five minutes. Since then, my Eudora application no longer filters Junk mail like it used to. I have set the Junk mail threshold higher and lower, removed all other filters, everything I can think of. But, Eudora will not filter Junk mail and put it in the Junk Mail folder. I know that when i started up the MailForge application there was a question about filtering Junk with its filter, but I assumed that when I trashed the program that Eudora would not be changed. Obviously there's some preference or setting somewhere that I'm unaware of. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Dec. 23, 2009

item.106632

MacInTouch Reader

Try downloading and install a fresh copy of Eudora. That will improve, but not completely fix filtering problems.

Also, MailForge is getting better and better with each release. You might want to give it another demo test and see if it now meets your needs.

item.106691

Thomas Casselman

Edward, Get SpamSieve 2.7.7 (http://c-command.com/spamsieve/), which I find to be best spam filter around. When you install it, you will asked to delete all other spam filter software. Then as spam comes into your In mailbox, you tell it where it is Junk or Not Junk. This way after a while, SpamSieve trains itself. You also have options of searching in SS for what is blocked or unblocked.

Dec. 24, 2009

item.106756

MacInTouch Reader

Eudora does lots of things, some in obvious and not so obvious fashions.

In Eudora 6.2.4, I have the following relevant settings. I use strictly POP3.

<x-eudora-setting:362=111074> Settings related to the use of the junk mailbox.?? To turn things off: 1 - whole thing 2 - trimming 4 - trim warning. 8 - refiltering 16 - unread mail indicator 32 - existing mailbox warning 64 - intro dialog 128 - immediate server delete (Don't ask why its 111074, that's what it's set to on mine.)

<x-eudora-setting:32469> Name of mailbox that holds junk mail, as presented to the user. (Should be Junk)

I'm running under 10.5.8 but I haven't see this complaint from folks running SL.

Dec. 28, 2009

item.106787

Edward Goss

Thanks for those who offered suggestions, but it was actually reading the installation instructions for SpamSieve that led me to the solution. The Eudora Plugins are stored within the application package, and my SpamWatch Plugins had been disabled. I just didn't know how to re-enable them. Here's how, if you ever have a problem:

Locate the Eudora application in the Applications folder.
Right-click (or Control-click) the Eudora application, and select "Show package contents."
Open the "Contents" folder.
Open the "Plugins Disabled" folder.
Move the 2 SpamWatch plugins, labeled "SpamWarch OSX" and "SpamHeaders OSX" from the Disable folder to the "Plugins" folder. You should also see a text file labeled "StaticJunkDB.txt" in your Plugins folder. Leave it alone.
Restart Eudora.
Make sure you have the Junk Mail settings the way you want them in the "Settings" menu.
Voila! SpamWatch now works perfectly again.

Happy Holidays to all

Dec. 29, 2009

item.106848

Robert Rosenberg

Edward Goss gives instructions on how to activate a plugin by opening the program file and manually moving the plugin from the disabled plugins folder to the plugins folder. This is overkill, complicated, and subject to error. While, if done correctly, it will work, there is a simple interface that will do it for you.

Just point at the program file and hit CMD-I to get the Display Information window. One of the items in the window is Plugins. Scroll though the list displayed (you may need to toggle the arrow to get the list to display) and check the box of the Plugins you want to enable them (unchecking will disable a Plugin). Now just Launch Eudora and you're done.

Dec. 30, 2009

item.106917

Edward Goss

Robert Rosenberg wrote:

Edward Goss gives instructions on how to activate a plugin by opening the program file and manually moving the plugin from the disabled plugins folder to the plugins folder. This is overkill, complicated, and subject to error. While, if done correctly, it will work, there is a simple interface that will do it for you.
Just point at the program file and hit CMD-I to get the Display Information window. One of the items in the window is Plugins. Scroll though the list displayed (you may need to toggle the arrow to get the list to display) and check the box of the Plugins you want to enable them (unchecking will disable a Plugin). Now just Launch Eudora and you're done."

Although Robert is certainly correct with his instructions, my problem stemmed from the fact that when I performed a "Get Info" on my Eudora application, the plug-in management list does not appear for me. I have tried re-installing the program, but I cannot get the plug-ins to show up. So, my only recourse was to perform the "complicated" procedure - which is really quite simple - to correct my problem. And, since I did not touch any other plug-ins but the two that I needed, no harm was done.

item.106918

Jerome Parmentier

I have used Eudora for years. With the purchase of a new iMac this Christmas it probably is time to spin myself off the Old Lady and move to Apple's Mail application or over to one of the third party applications. I'm not honestly looking forward to this.

The first and most important question: How do I export my extensive Eudora address book to a universal format both for importing into another email application and for the purpose of archiving? There just doesn't seem to be anything inside Eudora to do this.

My next question, if I am forced to abandon Eudora, what client is the closest to Eudora in terms of interface and data storage conventions? I'm also curious as to the opinion of MacInTouch readers on the MailForge product?

item.106929

MacInTouch Reader

While available under earlier versions of the OS, the Eudora Plugin option in Get Info does not seem to be available in Snow Leopard.

Dec. 31, 2009

item.106955

Steven Wicinski

Jerome Parmentier asked the loaded question:

"My next question, if I am forced to abandon Eudora, what client is the closest to Eudora in terms of interface and data storage conventions?"

What do you mean by data storage conventions?

One of the keys for me when I used Eudora on the PC and Claris Emailer on the mac was that it stored the attachments separate from the email. This allowed me to search/open the files without having to save it, extract it, or anything else out of the email.

I've used PowerMail since I went to OS X back in the 10.1/.2 days. I find the interface far easier to use than Mail (but I was used to Emailer). It stores attachments separately. Filtering is easy enough and works (and doesn't limit you to two conditions per filter like my old copy of Eudora). I don't get spam, so I don't worry about that much (although I do have SpamSieve, for the two messages a week I get).

OK, it doesn't store each mail message in a separate file, but I find that not to be a problem, as I never have a need to get at an individual email without going through the app anyway, and my database is not that large (a benefit of storing files separately).

I have never fallen in love with Mail. It seems too much like Outlook Express and dealing with a large amount of folders always seemed a pain.

item.106958

Bo Orloff

Eudora Mailbox Cleaner, a free program (donations accepted) by Andreas Amann, will quite handily migrate Eudora messages, addresses (aka "Nicknames"), and even filters from Eudora to Apple's Mail and Address Book programs (and/or Mozilla Thunderbird). More info and download available at http://homepage.mac.com/aamann/Eudora_Mailbox_Cleaner.html.

Jan. 4, 2010

item.107018

Robert Rosenberg

Edward Goss comments (on my suggestion to just use CMD-I and the Plug-Ins menu)

Although Robert is certainly correct with his instructions, my problem stemmed from the fact that when I performed a "Get Info" on my Eudora application, the plug-in management list does not appear for me. I have tried re-installing the program, but I cannot get the plug-ins to show up. So, my only recourse was to perform the "complicated" procedure - which is really quite simple - to correct my problem. And, since I did not touch any other plug-ins but the two that I needed, no harm was done.

Mea Culpa - I would like to apologize to Edward about my suggestion of the CMD-I method. As he noted, does not work since it is apparently no longer available as of Snow Leopard (Apple seems to have removed this capability to move Plug-In and Language files via this interface). It does still work as a quick method if you have 10.5.x or 10.4.x.

Jan. 28, 2010

item.108492

MacInTouch Reader

Courtesy of Eudora scripting guru John Delacour (who doesn't know I'm sending you this) on the Eudora-Mac list--

Below is a very basic script, which you can put in your toolbar ( -->>>> READ http://bd8.com/eudora/scripting/ ) and which will open the body of the message in a new window in Firefox 3.6.

tell application "Eudora"
           set _rawmessage to get the whole text of the front message
         end tell
         set AppleScript's text item delimiters to "<x-html>"
         set _parts to text items of _rawmessage
         set _message to "<html><x-html>" & item 2 of _parts & "</html>"
         set _folder to path to temporary items as Unicode text
         set _file to _folder & "temp.html"
         open for access file _file with write permission
         write _message to file _file
         close access file _file
         tell application "Firefox"
           open file _file
           activate
         end tell

This works for me from list of messages or with a message open in either normal or Blah Blah state.

Jan. 29, 2010

item.108555

David Legler

I found another solution to the problems using Eudora with Firefox 3.6. I downloaded the latest nightly build of Firefox (http://nightly.mozilla.org/) which seems to work fine. Amusingly, this form of Firefox is called "Minefield".

Minefield is a larger download and there are probably some inefficiencies in its performance, but I've encountered no problems with it. So until they release an official fix for FF 3.6, this seems to be a good temporary solution.

Jan. 30, 2010

item.108657

MacInTouch Reader

David Legler wrote:

I found another solution to the problems using Eudora with Firefox 3.6. I downloaded the latest nightly build of Firefox (http://nightly.mozilla.org/) which seems to work fine. Amusingly, this form of Firefox is called "Minefield".

This copy of Minefield is marked 3.7a1pre, not 3.6, and has the printing fix. I have used it for a few weeks without problems. It still needs script added to Eudora for open in browser.

As for the name, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_Firefox says:

Builds of Mozilla Firefox 3.7 are not yet separate from "Minefield" nightly builds and thus have not yet been assigned a codename other than "Minefield" as they are practically one and the same. Firefox 3.7 builds will likely receive a separate codename after its builds are distinct from Minefield's bleeding edge builds. As with branches, builds are produced on a daily and hourly basis. A date has not yet been set for 3.7 to be branched off of Trunk.

Mar. 3, 2010

item.110447

Jen Cluse

Just discovered: If you are having a problem with a filter, that you know that you have built, to find that filter just open Special:Settings… and select the filter tab. Select Find (Cmd-F), and Eudora’s so-clever code cutters have it search through just your filters.

25 years of use and I have never heard of the ability. What else is buried in this great tool?

item.110443

Bob Wolfe

My wife's Eudora folder went crazy this morning -- messages being garbled, sent messages appearing Unsent in the Out Box, triple copies of messages appearing in other mailboxes. Trashing Eudora Folder and Restoring from the Time Machine back up doesn't seem to help. Did a bug come in from somewhere this morning? Her secretary's machine also has problems; mine does not. Deleting all .toc files doesn't help. Trying to reinstall doesn't work -- maybe the installer won't work under Snow Leopard? All suggestions gratefully received!

Next Page...

MacInTouch Amazon link...

Talk to MacInTouch     Support  •  Find/Go