Nov. 10, 2011
Feb. 4, 2012
Feb. 6, 2012
Feb. 7, 2012
Dec. 4, 2012
May. 26, 2009

item.92757

Jeff Schaffer

I just started using iCal to coordinate things with my wife. I use Lotus Notes at work for my calendaring, but now that I want to place personal appointments in iCal for sharing them, what's the best way to keep them showing up on Notes?

I assumed that if I merely added my work email address as an invitee on the calendar appointment in iCal, a notice would be sent to my Notes account and I could process it there. Unfortunately, iCal seems to be very confusing about adding an email address from the "me" entry in Address Book. If I add my work address, I get a "bing" sound, but if I add a different address, iCal accepts it just fine.

Any ideas?

Jul. 9, 2009

item.95590

Tom Wilson

I've been thinking of moving to iCal for my scheduling, but I haven't found a way in it to view a period of time that spans a weekend or, in month view, last weeks in one month and first weeks in the next (in some scheduling programs this is called "scrolling view"). This very handy when a project extends over the boundaries of the normal week or month structure. Have I missed something?

Jul. 10, 2009

item.95666

Al Hatch

Tom Wilson asks whether iCal has a scrolling view feature. The answer is, "Nope." I am guessing he found that feature useful in Now-up-to-Date, which I used for many years.

For those considering a move from NUD to iCal, be forewarned that you will miss many features. iCal is not designed for calendar sharing; it is designed for calendar *publishing*. There is a big difference. To share (or serve) a calendar, the way NUD does for very low cost, you must pay for OS X Server. In addition to scrolling view and other features, you will miss the ability to export to a text file or FileMaker format, which NUD provides in addition to many other formats.

I moved to iCal because NUD became buggy as I moved up the OS version chain, with the company paying little attention to fix things because they are focusing on its replacement Nighthawk. However, I got tired of waiting for Nighthawk after 2 years of development promises. I am sure it will one day be a great product. It is now called "Now X", but is still available only as a beta. When it arrives, I will move back from iCal, which is possibly the most kludgy product Apple has ever released.

item.95686

Simon Wagstaff

I think Tom Wilson did miss something. With plenty of spare time on my hands, I went to iCal > Preferences > General and selected "Scroll in week view by Days."

He can't scroll his month view by weeks or days, though.

<rant>In the past, I'd say, "RTFM," but manuals these days are sucky if existent.</rant>

item.95694

Manny Veloso

Now-up-to-date has the scrolling view feature, and I miss it a lot. For those that don't know, that type of view allows you to see things in a month-like view, except starting with any week you want instead of the first of the month.

If you were on the last week of the month, you could put the week at the top of the display and see the next 4 weeks. Compare that to most other calendar apps, where what you see is the already-passed days of the month, the next few days, and maybe the first day or two of next month.

It's really a great view; maybe Apple will include it in iCal someday.

Jul. 11, 2009

item.95760

Tom Wilson

Thanks to Hatch, Wagstaff, and Veloso. Yes, I am used to the scrolling feature in Now-Up-to-Date, and their comments confirm my disappointment with iCal. Wagstaff is right that I missed the preference item (and apologize for occasioning his mini-rant), but the problem is that it's buried in the preference menu rather than available directly from a pull-down on the program's menu bar - not convenient if one switches in and out of scrolling mode. And also, as Wagstaff notes, no scrolling for month view.

With regard to other missing features in iCal, Hatch is also right. But if what you want is just to keep your own personal calendar for yourself on your desktop or laptop, iCal comes close to an adequately functional minimalist schedular.

But, alas, only "close". As Veloso says, "maybe ... someday".

item.95766

Scott Aronian

I agree that iCal is not as full featured as many would like, and falls short for most business use. But we use it in a 10-person office with personnel who are in remote locations and travel frequently. The addition of BusySync makes this possible, and it's easy to use.

It costs far less than Now Up-to-Date, $25 or less per seat. We run a central iCal on an office Mac mini with all the companies shared calendars and a copy of BusySync. Each user's computer also has BusySync installed. Anyone of us can update a calendar and have it automatically show on everyone else's calendar.

I also have a MobileMe account which automatically syncs/shares my complete computer calendar to my iPhone.

You should also check out BusyCal from the same company, it has enhanced views and scrolling with an iCal like UI.

Dec. 10, 2009

item.105842

Edward Lueck

Is it possible to transfer events in ical from year to year? I would like tranfer events such a birthdays, etc.

Dec. 11, 2009

item.105952

Colleen Thompson

Edward Lueck wondered

"Is it possible to transfer events in ical from year to year? I would like tranfer events such a birthdays, etc."

First, if you use Address Book, the Birthday field (which you may need to enable in Prefs) transfers straight to iCal.

For other annual stuff, there are several ways to deal with them. You could make repeating events out of them, for instance. You can copy and paste iCal events. The Find results field is very handy for working with batches of stuff.

There's a great utility called CaliBrate by Wooden Brains, an $8 shareware app. It lets you do batch processing and other functions in iCal. The newest version works with both Leopards, and there's an older one for Tiger.   http://www.woodenbrain.com/products/calibrate/calibrate.html

item.106020

DV Henkel-Wallace

Edward Lueck asks about getting events like birthdays to appear annually.

There are two ways. For any event, you can set a repeat to have it repeat every year. Just click on the event, click on the "repeat" line and choose "Every Year".

For birthdays there's a special way: birthdays in the Address Book appear in iCal under "Birthdays".

Mar. 30, 2010

item.111730

Cotty Chubb

iCal has decided it won't allow any more new Events, not from invoking New Event from the File menu and not from entering directly into the calendar itself.

On click-drag in the calendar, a little box opens, just as though I were about to be able to enter a new Event, but on releasing the trackpad button, the box disappears.

Frustrating!

Any suggestions gratefully received.

iCal 3.0.8
MacOS 10.5.8
MacBook Pro 2.33GHz
(and waiting for a new one to be announced)

Aug. 20, 2010

item.119675

MacInTouch Reader

Is there any way to get and all day event invitation coming from Outlook 2003 to show up as an all day event in iCal? When i create and Outlook 2003 all day event and invite myself at me.com, when I accept the event in iCal it is an appointement from 12:00 a.m. the day of the 12:00 a.m. then next day instead of populating as and all day event.

Aug. 26, 2010

item.119971

Paul Specter

I'd like to throw this out there for any ideas about a problem I am suddenly having with sharing a private calendar on the "www.icalx.com" website. I've been using this site very successfully for about 2 years to share 2 calendars from my iCal so my wife can subscribe to these and see them in her iCal on the same computer (two different accounts).

Suddenly, a few days ago, I noticed the normal symbol next to a shared calendar had changed to a symbol similar to a triangle. At the same time, my wife noted that she did not see all of the items that I knew were on my calendar. Refreshing did not solve the problem with this one calendar, but the other continued to work perfectly. I unpublished the problem calendar and confirmed that it had disappeared on the icalx website. When I attempt to re-publish that calendar, I get an error message indicating that the publish failed and an indication that the requested encountered an unexpected network error (code 32).

I have unpublished and republished my other calendars from the same account with no problems. The problem is with only one specific calendar. This calendar has a lot of stuff on it going back to 2007, so in case it was a matter of the size of the calendar, I deleted everything from 2007 to 2009. This had no effect.

If anyone has any ideas what this error is (I could not find any explanation on the Apple website) and how to solve it, or if there is a better approach to allow two people using different accounts on the same Mac to share their calendars, then I would appreciate any suggestions.

FYI, I am on a G5 Power Mac running 10.5.8.

Aug. 27, 2010

item.120001

Colleen Thompson

Paul Specter:

Just a guess here, but perhaps there's something corrupted in that one calendar. One way to cure this is to export the calendar in iCal to your desktop, then delete the calendar in iCal, and reimport the copy you exported (of course make sure you have a backup of your whole iCal data first, using iCal's backup under the File menu.)

item.120029

Paul Specter

To Colleen Thompson: I already tried exactly what you suggested and it did not make a difference. Whatever problem is at the root of the issue seems to be backed up and restored intact. There are so many items in this calendar that I'd hate to have to completely rebuild it from scratch. :-(

item.120031

Roger S. Cohen

Colleen Thompson comments on backing up all of iCal's using iCal's backup under the File menu. Then one could use the Import function to reinstall all data for multiple calendars.

That worked for me through OS 10.4.x. It stopped working in OS 10.6.

iCal acts as if it is trying to restore from the Archive (.icbu file), and then gives me an error message, "could not restore...."

I can reproduce this on two different Macs, in existing accounts or in fresh, new accounts.

Aug. 30, 2010

item.120102

Colleen Thompson

Roger Cohen said

"Colleen Thompson comments on backing up all of iCal's using iCal's backup under the File menu. Then one could use the Import function to reinstall all data for multiple calendars...That worked for me through OS 10.4.x. It stopped working in OS 10.6."

Sorry if I wasn't clear (ah, typing on an iPad). I didn't mean for Paul to try to restore iCal from the *backup*. The backup is only there in case things go awry. I meant, *export* the calendar in question, delete it from iCal, then reimport it from the exported file. Additionally, Paul Specter is running 10.5.8, not 10.6.

In Leopard, at least, Export is a separate function from Back Up.

Perhaps someone else could comment whether the Restore function in Snow Leopard iCal works for them or not. Seems hard to believe something so basic would be broken.

Aug. 31, 2010

item.120188

Roger S. Cohen

Colleen Thompson comments on my report that restoring iCal from the iCal backup .icbu file is broken in 10.6, and comments that it seems hard to believe something so basic would be broken.

Colleen also comments that in Leopard, Export is a separate function from Back Up.

Exporting a single calendar from iCal, and then re-importing it into iCal, works.

Backup to .icbu, and restoring it to iCal, does not work 98% of the time. Yup, it's broken. I've spoken with Apple Care third level tech support about this one, and they confirm that they know about it. They say they have reported to Engineering, and hope that there will be a fix.

Nov. 5, 2010

item.124065

Colleen Thompson

Two questions about iCal (Leopard, Snow Leopard, or both):

1. I know there's a way to make the event bubble size bigger, because there's a screen shot at   hintsforums.macworld.com/showpost.php?p=592963
I've looked in the plist and searched for terminal commands to edit the default, without luck.

2. Anybody know of a way to print just one event with attendant details (including note)?

Nov. 6, 2010

item.124110

Steven MacDonald

Re:

"Anybody know of a way to print just one event with attendant details (including note)?"

You could try a screen (window) shot. Command-I on event, Command-Shift-4 changes cursor, drag cursor over event detail and hit space bar. Cursor turns into camera icon and event window highlights, click mouse takes the shot and saves it to desktop.

item.124165

Antonio Tejada

Colleen Thompson asked:

I know there's a way to make the event bubble size bigger, because there's a screen shot at hintsforums.macworld.com/showpost.php?p=592963
I've looked in the plist and searched for terminal commands to edit the default, without luck.

You can't change the size of the bubble, but it's not the only way to edit an event:

1. Double-click an event to open as a bubble.
2. Select an event and press Command-I (Edit > Get Info) to open a separate, resizable editor window.
3. Press Command-Option-I (Edit > Show Inspector) to open an inspector window, which changes dynamically to whatever event you select.

The last two are both resizeable.

item.124180

Paul Fabris

Colleen Thompson asked:

2. Anybody know of a way to print just one event with attendant details (including note)?

The best way I've found is not exactly intuitive. Select the event in Month/Week/Day view and Copy (Command-C).

Switch to a word processor, or TextEdit, create a new file and Paste. You'll have full event details, including notes and attendees under a bold event title. Then print.

Nov. 8, 2010

item.124223

Scott Aronian

To print all the notes in an event, select the day of the event, Print, choose View by Day in the print dialog/preview box, and make sure the details checkbox is chosen.

Not exactly obvious, but easy to do.

item.124240

Colleen Thompson

Paul Fabris came to the rescue:

Q. Anybody know of a way to print just one event with attendant details (including note)?
A. The best way I've found is not exactly intuitive. Select the event in Month/Week/Day view and Copy (Command-C). Switch to a word processor, or TextEdit, create a new file and Paste. You'll have full event details, including notes and attendees under a bold event title. Then print.

Even better, with that inspiration, I tried dragging an event from iCal onto an open TextEdit window, which also worked. Thanks!

As for resizing the Event bubble, Antonio Tejada suggested using the resizable Inspector window instead (Snow Leopard only). Trouble with that is, it's a one-time deal. Opening subsequent Inspectors revert back to skinny.

Nov. 9, 2010

item.124320

Antonio Tejada

Colleen Thompson responded:

"As for resizing the Event bubble, Antonio Tejada suggested using the resizable Inspector window instead (Snow Leopard only). Trouble with that is, it's a one-time deal. Opening subsequent Inspectors revert back to skinny."

Um, the Get Info windows are one-time only.

The Inspector window won't remember its girth after quitting iCal, but until you quit iCal, it does remember its width even if you close it. And you don't need to close it, because the Inspector is dynamic and automatically shows the details for whatever event you click on. To see another event's details, just click it.

Jan. 22, 2011

item.128188

Carol Barnett

I can't seem to print the To Do Items list in the same order as it appears on my computer screen, when printing it as part of my daily calendar. I'm using the "list" view, and have tried all the permutations of item organization (by title, manually, etc) but the items still print in a seemingly random order. Any suggestions?

Feb. 23, 2011

item.130057

Ronald Meyer

I get annoyed having to display time using AM/PM. I often forget to select the proper one. I want to display times on iCal using the 24 hour clock as they do in many countries as well as in the military, aviation, etc.

My iMac allows me to use the 24 hour clock at the top of the screen. I have not, however, figured out a way to automatically display it in iCal. Since Apple sells computers in countries which use the 24 hour clock, then iCal there must allow a 24 hour clock. Any suggestions?

Feb. 26, 2011

item.130251

DV Henkel-Wallace

Ronald Meyer asked about how to display the time in iCal in normal (24-hour) format rather than the aggravating am/pm format.

The way to change that is to change the "Language & Text" settings in the preference pane. Click on "Formats", which will let you change the way times display in all apps, including iCal.

(Though "Language & Text" may not be the obvious setting, note that typing text into the search bar of the preferences app searches in the preference panes too.)

item.130276

David Johnson

Probably have to change the system clock to 24-hour in the system Prefs.

Feb. 28, 2011

item.130329

Ronald Meyer

Thank to DV Henkel-Wallace and Dave Johnson on how to change to a 24 hour clock. It is less than intuitive but after some fumbling around, got it down.

Nov. 4, 2011

item.146811

MacInTouch Reader

When I create an event and send it to my husband, he receives an email with the event and he can accept it or decline it, and it automatically enters his calendar. When he sends an event to me, it has no place for me to accept it. It is just an e-mail that looks like an invitation with no links. I would like to be able to accept his events. What could the problem be?
Thanks

Nov. 10, 2011

item.147217

Colleen Thompson

Re:

"When I create an event and send it to my husband, he receives an email with the event and he can accept it or decline it, and it automatically enters his calendar. When he sends an event to me, it has no place for me to accept it. It is just an e-mail that looks like an invitation with no links. I would like to be able to accept his events. What could the problem be?"

Look in your iCal preferences to see if you're set to accept invitations.

Feb. 4, 2012

item.151578

Jax Smith

Hello! I don't understand the list of timezones in iCal. I was trying to put the time zones in my cal for traveling and I can't find Central time USA and Mountain time. I grew up calling these zones by these names and now on the west coast I see Cupertino instead of PST. I don't understand this. Any explanation?
Thanks so much!

Feb. 6, 2012

item.151798

Gregory Tetrault

Jax Smith wrote:

"...I don't understand the list of timezones in iCal...."

Apple believes that users are too ignorant about time zone names, so it provides a tiny world map. When you click on the map, the "Closest city" to the point clicked appears in the pop-up menu below the map. Above that "Closest city" pop-up is its time zone. To get Central Standard Time, click in the middle of the USA. You'll get one of these cities: Memphis, St. Louis, Chicago, Minneapolis, Dallas, Houston, or Austin. For Mountain Standard Time, click near Denver, Salt Lake City, or Phoenix (Boise, Idaho didn't make the list).

It would make far more sense to have users input a city or county or zip code and have iCal (and the Date & Time preference pane) look up in a table that location's time zone and how (or if) it adopts daylight savings time.

Feb. 7, 2012

item.151852

David Charlap

Jax Smith wrote:

"Hello! I don't understand the list of timezones in iCal. I was trying to put the time zones in my cal for traveling and I can't find Central time USA and Mountain time. I grew up calling these zones by these names and now on the west coast I see Cupertino instead of PST. I don't understand this. Any explanation?"

For some reason, Apple has used cities and not ISO names for time zones for a long time. This goes all the way back to the system settings for classic Mac OS (definitely in System 7, maybe even 6.) I've never liked the idea, but that is what Apple has always done.

The only real annoying part was when, a few weeks ago, I took a trip to San Jose, California. I set my iPod's time zone to San Jose, to discover that the time was completely wrong. It clearly meant San Jose Mexico and not California.

I also found it amusing that the database has both Cupertino and San Francisco, when the two are almost next door to each other and follow identical time zone/DST conventions.

Dec. 4, 2012

item.167200

Gilbert Kennedy

The iCal snooze time on reminders is way too limited. In Lion and earlier you could select the time to be reminded again from a menu in the popup. Is there any way to get it back, or at least change the snooze time to an hour or two?

MacInTouch Amazon link...

Talk to MacInTouch     Support  •  Find/Go