iCal: Tips

Sep. 24, 2011
Mar. 16, 2012
Mar. 17, 2012
Mar. 19, 2012
Sep. 24, 2011

item.144143

Colleen Thompson

In Snow Leopard iCal, I already knew that you could command-right arrow or command-left arrow when in week mode to go from week to week.

Once I used the control key by mistake, instead of the command key. Something unexpected happened.

Experimenting further, we find:

Day View: control-arrow keys move the selected event back or forward one day, or earlier and later in 15-minute increments.

Week View: same behavior.

Month View: control-left and right move the event by one day; up-and-down move it by a week.

There are even more iCal shortcuts, it turns out. Read all about it at
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=iCal/3.0/en/kbshortcuts.html

Mar. 16, 2012

item.154274

Tom Hensley

For quite a while, I've suffered with the iCal user interface, specifically the lack of contrast which renders dates on the monthly view illegible. After some searching on the Apple forum, I found that I'm apparently the last to know about BusyCal, an iCal replacement with font and color choice and many other enhancements which iCal lacks. It's completely compatible as a replacement for iCal with no modifications necessary, and handles iCloud perfectly. I've made the change and no longer have to squint into the screen from 1/8" in order to know what date I'm on.

Mar. 17, 2012

item.154303

Maurice Pearson

BusyCal is great! Much better than iCal for all sorts of reasons.

item.154313

Matt McCaffrey

I'm glad that Tom Hensley discovered BusyCal. I just wanted to add that BusyCal brings back features that iCal inexplicably stripped away. It understands many common ways of typing in a date or a time (for example: "3-18" in the date field becomes "3/18/12" when you tab out, and "914a" becomes "9:14 am"). It doesn't require separate info bubbles to add or edit a new event. (I understand iCal restored an info panel in Lion.) And, the developers bring the front-end expertise that they used in the long-ago "Now Up-to-Date" calendar into BusyCal.

I say "front end" because the other feature Tom noted -- no need to convert or import a calendar database -- is there because BusyCal is simply a replacement front-end for the MacOS iCal interface to the underlying iCal information. If you decide you absolutely need something only iCal can provide, you simply launch it, do your work, and close it again.

Brilliant.

Mar. 19, 2012

item.154428

Seth Elgart

Matt McCaffrey wrote:

I say "front end" because the other feature Tom noted -- no need to convert or import a calendar database -- is there because BusyCal is simply a replacement front-end for the MacOS iCal interface to the underlying iCal information. If you decide you absolutely need something only iCal can provide, you simply launch it, do your work, and close it again.
Brilliant.

I concur. You install it and it just works, except that it's simply better. And just to add a little to what Matt said, you can also sync BusyCal to any Google calendars you may happen to use, so you get the best of all possible worlds. You get your iCal calendars, you get your Google calendars, and you get a really good calendar program to work with. Throw in Pocket Informant on iOS and you've got a full-blown calendaring system that syncs everywhere and just simply works.

MacInTouch Amazon link...

Talk to MacInTouch     Support  •  Find/Go