Nov. 3, 2012
Nov. 8, 2012
Nov. 9, 2012
Nov. 10, 2012
Nov. 12, 2012
May. 27, 2009

item.92867

B. C.

I just had a new problem crop up -- first time in all these years of using iCal since its debut. Suddenly, I can't use the Go to Date.... function. The window pops up when I click the menu item, but it won't let me type in a date. Any ideas?

Sep. 30, 2009

item.101515

Andrew Pavey

I have 15 calendars in iCal - some local, some subscribed to. I recently synchronised the calendars with me.com for the first time.

Now when I open iCal, all my calendars appear briefly (maybe 15 secs), then suddenly they all vanish and I'm left with no calendars display at all. Any suggestions on getting iCal v2.0.5 (Tiger 10.4.11) to revert to nicely displaying the calendars? I've tried turning off calendar synching to no avail.

Jan. 21, 2010

item.108039

Adam Newman

Here's an odd one - I've got lots of family and friend birthday info in iCal and it shows up just fine both in iCal and on my iPhone... except one. A family friend whose birthday is 1/22/1921. Shows up in iCal but not on my phone. I re-entered the birthday figuring maybe a typo, but no love.

Does the iPhone filter out birthdays older than a certain age?

Running Snow Leopard, all Apple updates - nothing unusual...

Ideas?

Jan. 22, 2010

item.108057

Joel M. Benisch

Adam Newman writes about one birthday that just won't show up on his iPhone in iCal, but shows up fine on his Mac.

Same here. One friend whose birthday is Dec 18 1948 shows up on my Mac just fine, but simply never get's synched to my iPod Touch no matter how many times I delete the date in address book and re-enter it. It just pops up in iCal on the Mac but never makes it over to the Touch.

This prompted me to look through the whole year.

Same with my Dad's birthday (Feb 5 1919)
Same with another friend's birthday (Mar 28, 1964)
And a colleague's birthday (Dec 19 1931)

Weird.
Anyone have this experience?
Any ideas?

item.108065

Eric Godfrey

from Adam Newman

Here's an odd one - I've got lots of family and friend birthday info in iCal and it shows up just fine both in iCal and on my iPhone... except one. A family friend whose birthday is 1/22/1921. Shows up in iCal but not on my phone. I re-entered the birthday figuring maybe a typo, but no love.

Does the iPhone filter out birthdays older than a certain age?

Running Snow Leopard, all Apple updates - nothing unusual...

Ideas?

I had exactly the same problem (updating my iPhone from 10.4.11): a person whose birth date 4/3/1913 did not appear in the iPhone update. Rather than fight it, I took the year out of her birth date in Address Book. Her birthday then reappeared in Calendar at the next iPhone update. Another solution is to manually enter the errant birthday into iCal on your Mac as a recurring event. It will then be listed twice in iCal, of course. I'm guessing a weird bug in iPhone software for Calendar (I am using v. 2.2).

item.108113

Adam Newman

In the category of the strange getting stranger - I added in a "test" contact with the same birthday. Then when I synced with my iPhone both showed up.

I then deleted the test contact and synced again - and the original one that was missing, but then showed up, went missing again!

WEIRD!! No explanation...

Ideas anyone?

Adam

Jan. 23, 2010

item.108145

Andrew Abernathy

Eric Godfrey writes:

Rather than fight it, I took the year out of her birth date in Address Book.

I would love to be able to enter birth dates without years - I often don't _know_ the year, and I'm forced to enter a fake year. (I use 1900. I initially used 1111 to make it especially obvious that it was fake, but due to historical calendar changes, that resulted in the birthdays showing up in the wrong place in iCal, and in fact the rest of the date ended up getting corrupted - I don't know if that was due to syncing errors, errors in a previous version of OS X that have subsequently been fixed, changes when I set the real year later, or what, but I'm still slowly identifying and fixing birthdays that are off by a week or two or something.)

In any case, I'm guessing that Eric actually just put a temporary year in, but if he has found some way to get Address Book to accept just month and day, I would _love_ to know how.

item.108147

Russ Abber

I am so glad to hear that I am not the only one with these very weird iCal/iPhone issues for all-day events. My old method of keeping my calendar and address book was to use MS Entourage 2004 which I allowed to sync with iCal and AB. Using iTunes, these programs synced with my iPhone. I also threw BusySync into the mix to allow my wife to see and edit my calendar. I decided that waiting until I returned home to see the changes my wife made to the calendar or for her to see my changes was too long, so I signed up for a MobileMe trial subscription. This turned out to be an unmitigated disaster. First of all, my iCal was fine, the MobileMe calendar on my web browser was fine, but all of my all-day events would turn into two day events on my phone. If I created the all-day event in iCal and did not sync it back with Entourage, it would stay as a one day event everywhere. On top of that, every few days all of the events in iCal would double or the contacts would double.

After discussions back and forth with Apple and MS, the advice was that shame on me for using MobileMe, iCal and AB for business - they are not meant for that. (I have 4000+ contacts and 1600+ events.) Also, shame on me because MobileMe and Entourage are not compatible. So I moved all of my events to iCal, all my contacts to AB, stopped the sync with Entourage and removed BusySync. I recreated all of the all-day events in iCal and deleted out the ones that had been created in Entourage.

First I had a data corruption issue in iCal. This caused some birthdays to appear correctly in iCal but to multiply so that I had 50 of them in MobileMe and iPhone. I was able to fix this, but now some of these birthdays appear in iCal and MobileMe but not the iPhone. One test I ran was to create an event on my Phone with a title of test. It would appear correctly throughout my programs. However, when I changed the name to match the birthday that would not appear on the phone, it would be fine in iCal and MobileMe, but not the phone.

This is all very strange behavior and I may not convert to a paid MobileMe membership based upon this experience and the issues I continue to have.

item.108153

Kwan Yeoh

I believe that the iPhone limits repeating events to 75 occurrances. I had to change all my older relatives' birthdays to 2009 circumvent this problem.

Re: random other events not syncing. I found this to be a major problem when I was using Mobileme; randomly, events would not sync one way or another. Personally, I have now switched back to USB syncing for calendars because of this.

item.108156

Michael Alderete

In discussing a problem with birthdays entered into Address Book syncing (or not) their way to iCal, Eric Godfrey wrote:

"Rather than fight it, I took the year out of her birth date in Address Book."

How does one take the year out of a date in Address Book? Whenever I try, it reverts to the old (or auto-entered) date.

As far as I can tell, Address Book will not let you enter a date without a year. Which is stupid, what are you going to do, ask all your friends and contacts what year they were born in, just so you can remember their birthday? A lot of people would consider that rude, or the start of identity theft.

The "solution" I've been using is to use the year 1900 to mean "I don't know"?

Jan. 25, 2010

item.108202

Eric Godfrey

Michael Alderete (and others) wrote:

"How does one take the year out of a date in Address Book? Whenever I try, it reverts to the old (or auto-entered) date."

Sorry to imply that I had a secret not otherwise shared; when you enter a birthdate without a year, Address Book inserts the current year. Since it is obvious that my 96-year old relative was not born in 2009, I am willing to put up with it. But this is a bush-league programming error that Apple ought to fix. I am syncing my iPhone from a G4 running 10.4.11; I gather from the comments that it did not get fixed in 10.6.

item.108225

Gregory Weston

Eric Godfrey writes:

"But this is a bush-league programming error that Apple ought to fix. I am syncing my iPhone from a G4 running 10.4.11; I gather from the comments that it did not get fixed in 10.6."

In 10.6.2, I just created an entry for someone with a birthday in November, 1902. His entry showed up in iCal for this year.

Jan. 26, 2010

item.108244

Russ Abber

In 10.6.2, I just created an entry for someone with a birthday in November, 1902. His entry showed up in iCal for this year.

The problem is not in iCal - it is the iPhone. I have some birthdays in iCal that date back to the 1920s and 1930s. They appear just fine in iCal. They do not transfer over to my iPhone.

item.108272

Adam Newman

The problem is NOT getting it to show up in iCal. The problem is that is that after syncing my iPhone, it doesn't show up on my phone!

So the question remains: why??

I tried changing the birthyear of the contact in question to 1951 (from 1921) but still doesn't show on my iPhone.

Very weird... no obvious rhyme or reason to this one.

item.108278

Eric Godfrey

Gregory Weston wrote:

But did it show up on the iPhone calendar when you synched it? That's the issue (see previous discussion in this thread).

Jan. 27, 2010

item.108310

MacInTouch Reader

I noticed that all my birthdays in Entourage are correctly set up. Mom is born in 1957. Syncing to address book (and calendar) in 10.4.11. Entourage 2004 latest version.

In Apple's Address Book, everyone's birthday is shifted to this century. That is, mom is now born in 2057. The birthdays are not showing up on your calendars and ipods because they haven't happened yet.

Entourage apparently uses a two digit year for the birthday. Not 4. Unreal. So iCal sees 57 and says, 2057.

Also, Entourage 2004 users: Forget about the holidays. They don't happen after 2010. There is no more Christmas, Easter, Lincoln's birthday. Nothing. Tried reimporting. No events added.

I'm moving my calendars over to google. I hate the thought of "the cloud" but these are ridiculous hassles to face for a several hundred dollar program.

item.108319

Michael Blasco

I submitted a bug/feature request report for iCal months ago asking them to enable a way to enter birthday information without a year.

I suggest others do so also.
   http://www.apple.com/feedback/ical.html

item.108334

Carl Beyer

We have a Droid and use Google to sync contacts and calendars amongst 4 computers and the phones. All running 10.6.2. Last week I noticed all of our birthdays missing out of Address Book. And then the Calendars started losing the dates.

I have no idea where the bug is. There are a bunch of pages up on the web with people complaining. Not sure what or whom to point the finger at.

item.108335

Steve Omug

I believe there is a default setting on the iPhone side, in iCal Prefs, of NOT syncing events/tasks OLDER than 30 days ... Try unchecking that option, turning it off ... See if that helps.

Jan. 28, 2010

item.108348

MacInTouch Reader

I think the birthday calendar issue is a feature; people above a certain age don't want to be reminded how old they are. :-)

Feb. 17, 2010

item.109744

Mel Ringel

Yesterday I was updating my Calendar and blithely pasted the equivalent of a 3 page email worth of text into the "note" section of one of my events.

After I did so and did a Mobile Me Sync. all hell seemed to break out! Events that I had deleted at the same time, as well as events that had repeats in them reappeared, were duplicated, etc. etc.

I had no idea what was going on and kept "fixing" the problem by deleting again and again and again, to no avail (while leaving the (unidentified) offending note and its text in place)

Then "a light went on" and I deleted the event with all of the extra text in it, and replaced it with one that had a "reasonable" amount of text and voila all problems went away.

My conclusion is that iCal has a "bug of omission" i.e. it allows me to put so much text into an event "note" that I overwrite code, as well as data from other events - or such.

For the cognoscenti, I would appreciate confirmation of my hypothesis and notification of Apple about this bug so it can be fixed to at least inform the user of the amount of text that must not be exceeded in a note, or preferably *fix* the iCal software so it prevents the insertion of "too much" text!

Feb. 18, 2010

item.109763

Samuel Herschbein

Re: Mel Ringel

It's not the amount of text, it's certain characters/formatting when pasting text. iCal in Leopard had issues converting pasted text to the format used in the .ics file, it would sometimes insert extra returns & corrupt the .ics file.

I haven't checked the Snow Leopard version to see if this has been fixed. I also never pinned down exactly what characters/formatting caused the issues.

A quick work-around is to paste only plain ASCII text into iCal. One method is to paste the text into TextEdit, convert the TextEdit doc to Plain Text, copy the text in TextEdit, and paste into iCal. PITA...

May. 11, 2010

item.114226

DV Henkel-Wallace

I've been using Google calendar to do calendar sharing with some non-Mac and non-iCal people. Unfortunately lately iCal has been unable to log into google -- it says that the user name or password is wrong. However later those credentials will mysteriously start to work again.

Is this a known flakiness with a fix? It seems to happen with both Leopard and Snow Leopard systems.

Feb. 25, 2011

item.130146

Avi D

I am using a Google-hosted mail and calendar. I synced my iCal to it, but while any change in the Google-hosted calendar is being updated on my iCal and BB, none of the updates in iCal can be seen on the original calendar or BB.
Any advice will be appreciated.

Feb. 26, 2011

item.130283

Mark Weber

I have a problem with the calendar on the iPhone getting the time zone correct when I send an invite from a Windows machine to my home email address.

If I accept the event on my iPhone, the iPhone calendar and my Mac's iCal will assume that the time is Pacific time even though the invite was sent from the eastern time zone so a 5pm appointment shows up as being at 2pm. However if I accept the invite on my Mac's iCal, the event will show up on the iPhone and the Mac's iCal with the correct time.

Microsoft Outlook on the Windows machine is set to the "Eastern time" zone with daylight savings time adjust flag set. My iPhone is set with time zone support "On" and the city is set to "New York". The Mac is set to "New York" also for the time zone.

Interestingly when I open the event on the iPhone prior to accepting, it will display the correct time (5pm) and time zone ("Eastern Time (US & Canada)") in the "Notes" section while the incorrect time (2pm) will show up in the top part of the event details.

The Mac is running OS 10.6.6, iTunes 10.1.2, and the iPhone is running 4.2.1. Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated.

Feb. 28, 2011

item.130349

Mark Weber

Here is some additional information on the problem relating to time zone syncing correctly between Microsoft Outlook invitations and the iPhone (mentioned in previous day's posting).

When I open in Mac iCal an event which originated from Windows Microsoft Outlook for noon eastern time, the iCal program shows the event as 9am Pacific time even though the upper right hand part of iCal shows "Eastern Time" as the time zone. This event was accepted in the Mac iCal program. If I edit the time zone to show Eastern Time, it will show 9am Eastern time.

It is not clear to me why the Mac iCal decides to show things in Pacific time given that I have nothing set to such and the time zone in the event packet is eastern time. Is something hard-coded in the software to display "Cupertino" time?

A logical way to handle these events would be to display the time zone which was defined for the event when it was created when one opens the details window for the event. So if someone sends an invite for noon eastern time, it shows up in the details window as noon eastern time. Likewise, if it originated as 9am Pacific time, it shows up as 9am Pacific time even though the times are equivalent. However when looking at the overall calendar view of things, it should reflect the time zone in the upper right corner.

item.130357

Eric Hildum

Mark Weber writes:

I have a problem with the calendar on the iPhone getting the time zone correct when I send an invite from a Windows machine to my home email address.

iCal on the Mac has a separate time zone setting from the system setting. Your issue may be that the iCal on the Mac is set to Pacific time when the rest of the system is set to Eastern time. That has caught me a couple of times recently.

Dec. 30, 2011

item.149777

Dan Coleman

On iCal 5.0.1 I attempted to drag a Reminder from the Reminders pane into a calendar position (i.e. I was scheduling a particular to-do by dragging and dropping).

It worked "sort of." I got this error:

https://p04-caldav.icloud.com/XXXXXXX/principal/ is not a location that supports this request.

But the event ended up where I wanted it.

I googled the error message and came up empty.

Any thoughts?

Jan. 5, 2012

item.150064

MacInTouch Reader

I added too much data to the subject line and iCal gave me a "server responded with an error" message, and I can't get it to shut down and remove the error message. I have tried to force quit many times....

Jan. 6, 2012

item.150145

Meredith Clarke

My MacBook Pro has suddenly started freezing iCal.
It started yesterday. The program opens, but all the other calendars have disappeared, and there is no ability to either use the calendar or close it.

The only way to exit it is to force quit.

I did an automatic progam update yesterday and it appears to have happened since then.

Is any one else experiencing the same problem and is there a solution?

Thanks

item.150168

Denis Taylor

Same with me, just noticed it a couple of days ago. Did a complete reinstall of Lion - no difference. Just hangs with "iCal updating" message. I saw a bunch of advice about deleting plist files - did that but same problem. Calendar on iCloud is working fine. Now going to try and delete all icCal files in library and reinstall Lion again!

May. 17, 2012

item.157471

MacInTouch Reader

I have an Intel iMac with OS 10.5.8

I can't create new events in iCal. This problem has occurred before.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks,

John

May. 25, 2012

item.157775

Jeff H

People using Outlook (I assume) send me events which appear to enter properly into iCal when I click on them in Apple Mail. However, when I open the events in iCal and try to accept or decline them by clicking on the appropriate buttons, nothing happens and no response is sent. Opening the event again shows the same options, and clicking on the buttons produces no response.

This used to work but no longer does. I am using 10.6.8 and do not use an iPhone, MobileMe, or .Mac. Any ideas what might be wrong?

Oct. 8, 2012

item.164863

Carol Morrison

Copied and added info into iCal -- too much information -- and now iCal is frozen. When I open it up, the notes open -- can't delete it. Rebooted, and it doesn't help. What to do?

Oct. 22, 2012

item.165369

Tom Poret

My iCal lists Election Day as occurring this year on Tuesday the 13th instead of the correct date Nov. 6th. The date cannot be edited but is part of the US holiday option.

This is a serious error that should be corrected quickly!

[I don't see holidays listed in calendars either on my iPhone or iCal running in Snow Leopard. Did you subscribe to a particular calendar somewhere that has the error? -Ric Ford]

Nov. 2, 2012

item.165914

Colleen Thompson

Tom Poret reported

My iCal lists Election Day as occurring this year on Tuesday the 13th instead of the correct date Nov. 6th. The date cannot be edited but is part of the US holiday option.

My Lion iCal is subscribed to a US Holidays calendar (the standard one?) that correctly shows Election Day as 11/4. What if you unsubscribe from that calendar, then re-add it? We have enough voter suppression efforts happening without Apple adding to them :)

item.165969

Michelle Steiner

Re:

My Lion iCal is subscribed to a US Holidays calendar (the standard one?) that correctly shows Election Day as 11/4. What if you unsubscribe from that calendar, then re-add it? We have enough voter suppression efforts happening without Apple adding to them :)

Election day is November 6, 2012. In the USA, that is.

item.165955

MacInTouch Reader

Re:

"My Lion iCal is subscribed to a US Holidays calendar (the standard one?) that correctly shows Election Day as 11/4."

Election day is November 6, which is what my calendar shows.

Nov. 3, 2012

item.166015

Colleen Thompson

Election Day is indeed Nov. 6 and shows correctly in my iCal. Embarrassing typo on my part.

Nov. 8, 2012

item.166223

Brian Sockin

I've been dealing with this "perpetual updating" problem ever since we all upgraded to Mountain Lion. Absolutely everything we've tried fails. Apple needs to fix this huge bug... how can people work with failing calendars every day? I've been an Apple lover since the Lisa and find myself disgusted with Apple the past two months. This problem has cost us business and clients. Apple, get your S&*$# together. And fast.

Nov. 9, 2012

item.166235

Dana Wilcox

Re iCal showing election day on13th:
Rght-click (Control-click) on Holidays under Subscriptions on left pane and choose Refresh. That will update holidays.

Nov. 10, 2012

item.166269

Peter G.

In response to the comments on iCal, I'm wondering if others are having problem with iCal not updating to iCloud, or iCloud not updating to the calendar on the iPhone and iPad. I know it is supposed to just work and it seemed to a few months ago. Now it syncs but not quickly and sometimes seems to need a "nudge" to do it.

Anyone else figured this out?

Nov. 12, 2012

item.166316

Gary Kellogg

Peter G. wrote asking for a bit o' wisdom regarding the failure of iCal to sync reliably through iCloud with his iOS devices. We had this same problem early on, and we decided to just ignore iCal and edit the calendar using the iCloud Calendar page. Using this as the "truth", we found that our 7 different calendars sync perfectly with our iOS devices' own Calendar apps.

I hardly ever open iCal, but when I do, I have noticed that it seems to fall in line, sync-wise. I have not attempted to edit any calendar in iCal since we made the decision to just use iCloud. I must admit that we left the question of iCal sync failure begging, but have so gotten out of the iCal habit that it doesn't matter to us. We are still using Lion. I will probably switch my machine to Mountain Lion over the next few weeks.

item.166325

Wayne Folta

I've had iCal not sync across all devices. I basically figured out which device was the odd man out and turned off Calendar sync on that device, deleting, then turned it back on, and that seemed to fix the problem.

item.166334

Mike Weasner

I also see delays updating calendar events. Sometimes they get updated within seconds. Other times the delay is hours. Since there is no manual refresh in iCal/Calendar on the Mac (10.8), I discovered that quitting and relaunching the app on the Mac forces a refresh updating, which seems to then show events that were created on the iPad/iPhone (iOS 6) that hadn't appeared on the Mac for several hours. The reverse is also true; events created on the Mac may take seconds or hours to show on the iPad/iPhone. This has been a problem since iCloud just showed up. Very frustrating and unreliable service.

item.166359

James Cutler

Mike Weasner wrote, in part,

"... Since there is no manual refresh in iCal/Calendar on the Mac (10.8) ..."

Try using View > Refresh Calendars

MacInTouch Amazon link...

Talk to MacInTouch     Support  •  Find/Go