Nov. 5, 2010
Nov. 18, 2010
Nov. 19, 2010
Nov. 20, 2010

Newer entries...
Jan. 5, 2009

item.84623

MacInTouch Reader

My iPod Shuffle, the newer version, was put in the washer and even after months of drying, it is still not responding to anything. It is not recognized by iTunes or the computer.

Any help would be deeply appreciated.

item.84631

Kim Nagy

About a year ago I washed my youngest son's nano ipod. Long story short I went on line and read all I could. I placed it in front of our fireplace insert with the blower on for about 6 hours. Then I placed on the matel for another 12 hours and it worked fine. Well, tonight I just washed his new fat nano... I can't even explain how upset I am. It's on the fireplace harth with the blower on it. I'm hoping after several hours there and it will work fine. My concern is this plays videos and I'm worried the screen will be ruined! Could luck be on my side twice?!

Jan. 21, 2009

item.85674

MacInTouch Reader

Ok i left my Nano Chromatic in my sweater and I found it in the wash the next day; it worked when I charged it, but now the backlight won't go back on, so I can see what im trying to do on it :( anything i can do?!
:|

Jan. 26, 2009

item.85931

MacInTouch Reader

Last night my new iPod shuffle was in my school skirt and was washed AND dried ... with the headphones attached

At first i plugged in the headphones and no sound came out ... I decided I would at least see if the headphones worked so I tried those in my computer and they worked! I then plugged in my nano to a charger and miraculously it came on! Also I then plugged it into my computer and it brought up itunes! Succesfully they both turned out okay... so maybe when you put it in the washer ... let it go in the dryer too because it worked for me! [...]

item.85954

Ron G

I'm glad I found this. I washed my Ipod shuffle in my gym pants by accident and I was pretty sure the shuffle was done for. I assumed that the there was only a very slim chance that it would work again after it dried, but that certainly isn't the right assumption seeing some of the responses on here and of course from my personal experience.

After I pulled the Shuffle out from the washer, I immediately torched it with a blow drier for a good 10 mins and the casing actually turned HOT. I tried to turn it on and there was NO lights at all. I thought to myself "this shuffle is F****d for sure." Then I stumbled to this site and read some of the responses. With that, I didn't give up and continued to blow dry the Shuffle. After another 10 mins I got a green light and music! But the front button was sticky and didn't function as well as it used suppose to. Never mind that, the battery died fairly quickly and I tried to charge it but here comes the second problem, it doesn't charge at all.

I remember reading on here, someone used rubbing alcohol to clean the inside of the Shuffle and it worked. So I thought, why not give it a try, what do I have to lose? I took apart my shuffle with the instructional link above, bathed the shuffle and dried it. I plug it back onto the cradle and I'm getting an orange LED light, indicating its charging, as we speak.

Aside from the buttons still being a bit sticky, some minor imperfections from the wash cycles, and my sloppy disassembly; The Shuffle survives once again and another success story been told.

Jan. 30, 2009

item.86237

MacInTouch Reader

I have washed my nano and dried it for 6 hrs while I was at school. The screen looks watery and when I plugged it in it worked for about a minute and died again... what should I do?

Feb. 9, 2009

item.86833

Shuffleguy 92

My ipod shuffle 2nd gen went through the wash about 6 months ago and thought it was dead. I found it again last week then plugged it into my computer and nothing happened, but last night it suddenly started up and connected to itunes (my ear phones weren't plugged into the ipod when it went into the wash).

item.86889

MacInTouch Reader

Like an idiot, I washed my clothes without stopping to check if anything was in the pockets. Guess what I found in one of them? I found that I had washed my iPod Shuffle (2 Gen.) with earphones connected. And to show how dumb I really am, the first thing I did was try to turn it on and plug it in the computer. I got no response to either. I've tried blowdrying it and I even put it in the oven for a couple minutes on a low temperature. I can't seem to disassemble it either, so I'm completely stuck. What should I do?!

Feb. 10, 2009

item.86933

G A

My mom put her ipod nano in the washer and it got messed up. She gave it to me and if I can fix it I can keep it. I tried turning the ipod nano on and the apple screen would flash on and off. Also the computer would not recognize that it was connected. So I pressed the middle button and the play button for a couple seconds to get to that safe mode version of the ipod. While on this mode, the computer recognized that the ipod was on and itunes showed all the music that was in it. The problem is I am not able to play the music of the ipod this way, I will only be able to play using the computer. So I restarted the nano when it was on itunes in the safe mode version and I thought it was fixed since the screen on the ipod was fixed and it had the regular do not connect sign on. When I disconnected it from the computer it went back to a flashing screen, even though it was just working, now I have to go to the safe mode version again in order for it to be recognized. Do you know what the problem is?

Feb. 11, 2009

item.86989

Sterett Prevost

Re: G A and, "...Do you know what the problem is?..."

Most likely the washed iPod was not completely dry inside and plugging it in sent enough current through it to short out some internal(s). Others have reported successes with washed iPods in this Reader Reports area, but it seems they mostly used an intentional drying out technique and ensured enough time to dry everything out before "testing".

Feb. 26, 2009

item.87538

Marcus Gregg

Brilliant, thanks you for this. My son's shuffle was pocket washed and has been sitting broken for months, we replaced it and threw the washed one into the to-do basket at the back of the kitchen draw.

I have just followed the guide (yes i do sometimes take things out of the "to do basket") left the disassembled pod on a china plate in my bedroom for about 3 days.
Reassembled it and I got a little orange flashing light for a few seconds and then as if woken from slumber everything burst into life as it seamed to ask "...bluuur.... what did I miss?" as it rubbed it's eyes and started singing.

Thanks again - great link.

Feb. 27, 2009

item.87879

MacInTouch Reader

I dont know if this is true; I am trying it though and I will let you know it it works as I just washed my daughter's shuffle - I heard putting them in a cup of rice to absorb the water does the trick. Dont know how long to leave it in there for, but since she is in school, I will leave it there for a while and take the hair dryer to it every now and again. In today's economy can't afford to get her a new one so it better work

Mar. 5, 2009

item.88041

Kara Fontenot

This is insane. My daughter's iPod got washed about two weeks ago. It was completely dead . . . charging didn't work . . . nothing did. I waited two weeks. It still didn't work. Before giving up and tossing it, I decided to try disassembly today. I took the plastic covers and one end plate off and blew a hairdryer into it for about 5 minutes. I just plugged it in again and the orange light came on. Un-freakin'-believable!

Mar. 26, 2009

item.89567

MacInTouch Reader

Washed [an iPod Shuffle] on Saturday... Tried it on Wednesday worked fine.

Apr. 8, 2009

item.90194

Ty Godwin

This morning I pulled my clothes out of the dryer to discover my iPod Touch laying at the bottom of my dried clothes. It wouldn't turn on. Very upset I ran up to my room and immedately plugged it into my Macbook thinking I could "wake" it up. Sure enough, it came back on and synced and backed up just fine. The whole left side of my iPod doesn't react anymore but about every half hour I'm getting more and more sensitivity back and am now able to select the Safari icon in the far left corner. I have an iPhone as well so it wouldn't be a complete and total loss to me if this didn't turn on but I think I'm going to get life back into this little guy. It plays music and videos just fine, hopefully the water inside will dry leaving me with full functionality.

=]

PS: I've washed and gotten in the pool with every electronic item in my pocket, everything from cell phones, and remote car starters to iPod nano's and GPS systems. The key is to not plug it in so you don't surge anything and to just let it dry in the sun. If you blow dry it, the heat will melt the parts and can also create condensation.

Apr. 10, 2009

item.90316

MacInTouch Reader

I've also heard that it may be a good idea to rinse the ipod with deionized water before letting it dry. This should remove the risk of build-up or corrosion due to soaps or hard water. Deionized water is also an insulator rather than a conductor so the risk of further damage should be minimal.

Apr. 17, 2009

item.90650

MacInTouch Reader

I washed my iPod the other day. And I was anxious so I tried turning it on right away. At first nothing happened. I plugged it in and the screen was all white and you could see water behind it. I read these comments so I unplugged it right away and let it dry out. The screen has recovered and everything is working, but I just now plugged it in again and it won't come up on my computer to charge. Any suggestions to revive it?

Apr. 22, 2009

item.90960

Julie Bestford

Imagine how sick i felt, whilst wishing my washer would stop (nearly late for work) when out fell my daughter's brand new iPod nano complete with earplugs. I immediately switched it on (didn't have time for this site). Nothing. So I kept it switched on and put it on my dashboard in the hot sun for the drive to work. On arriving, i took it from the dash (didn't want to have it stolen too!) and put it in the window at work. Kept trying it - no joy, so put on my fan and left the ipod for about 3 hours. Joy!! it started to play; however, no backlight so you can't see what songs are on. Anyway, imagine my dismay when I opened the washer door a couple of weeks ago - I'd only gone and done the same thing with my mini shuffle. No joy whatsoever with this little devil. It won't charge and the laptop doesn't even recognise it - so I shall attempt to torch it with a hairdryer and let you know - coincidentally, there are some on ebay for 99p - do you think they are genuine?

Apr. 23, 2009

item.91070

MacInTouch Reader

Yup! Did the very same thing to my ishuffle last evening. It went through the washer but not the dryer. When I took it out, I found that while the earphones were functional when attached to another device, the i shuffle was absolutely dead. And of course I plugged it into my laptop right away because I hadn't found this website yet.

Then followed the above advice and let it dry....tried my hair dryer, tried Q-tips but the ishuffle stayed dead. Finally, I let it dry overnight in front of my room heater and right now it's working! Thrilled to bits about it!

So, all the best to everyone else too! It does seem like a sturdy bit of electronics!

BTW, I also sang to it and threatened to sing more if it didn't come back to life....so that might've helped! :))

May. 9, 2009

item.91787

MacInTouch Reader

I just discovered that I washed and dried my son's iPod in his pants pocket. This is the second time and it works just fine!

May. 14, 2009

item.92082

Tim Kaus

So I just got done taking my shuffle on a wet motorcycle ride and about half way thru it stopped. I had just charged it and so I know it couln't have died. When I got home I jumped on the net and found this page which had a link that I wanted to confirm for everyone still works and shows nicely how to take your shuffle apart so you can dry it out. http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/First-Look/iPod-Shuffle-2nd-Generation/437/1

This worked great and my shuffle is working again.

Jun. 8, 2009

item.93124

Cody Arnold

Ok. I have an iPod nano, 2nd Generation, only 2GB. I washed mine twice, and dried it, twice, it wasn't until the second drying that I noticed, something is banging around in the dryer really loud. I opened the drier and took out my backpack that I carry all of my elecronics in. I felt something in the side pocket meant for phones, but I carried my iPod in it. I opened it and to my dismay, my i:od was in it with headphones and in a case. I took it out and immediatly started drying it with a hair dryer. I started trying to turn it on, nothing, I plugged it in, nothing. I didn't read any of these forums until the next day. I put my iPod on my table in my room and left it to dry under one of my fans in my room thinking "hopefully, it will dry out over night via the fan and I'll have a surprise waiting for me in the morning". Nope. I put the iPod in a plastic case, because sunlight amplifies through plastic, put it in a plastic bag to double the amplification, and sat out on my neighbor's, who happens to be my grandfather, porch. He has the weird stuff that gets hot on summer days on his porch, so I set the iPod there and sat outside for about an hour and a half. I went inside and plugged it in, and it did nothing.

So my mom told me to look on the Internet for some help, I found this and read every entry above mine. I was really upset when I read entries about not turning the iPod on, not blow drying it, or pluging it in. I thought, "Well, my iPod's dead". I then read an entry about putting it in a bowl/bag of dry, white rice. I took out a plastic bag, put my iPod in and poured in the rice, I set it in my window and left it for a week. Well today, I was about to get in our pool, when I looked in the window, and decided to try plugging my iPod in. I heard a clicking noise like some people said before. I then tried the reset thing where you flip the switch twice and hold the play and center button. Joy! the apple logo came on and iTunes recognized my iPod! It didn't last long because it said that my iPod needed to be plugged into a power source, and it wouldn't charge on my computer. I put it on my dock, and it is charging as I write. My iPod was washed on Monday, May 25th, 2009. Today, the day I wrote this is Sunday, May 31st, 2009. So wait for about a week. The backlight screen went out, but that is no big deal at all to me.

So, in short. Get a bag/bowl or anything and put your iPod in it and fill it with dry white rice. Leave it there for about a week or so, don't touch it, and when you think it has dried, and all the water has been pulled out of it, try pluging it in to a power source, preferably, iTunes and check to see if it gets noticed. [...]

Jun. 25, 2009

item.94869

David Abramowitz

This past Saturday was my son's birthday party at our neighborhood pool. My sister-in-law was trying to get a good angle on a group picture by leaning off the ledge of the pool. I offered instead to wade into the shallow end to get a better shot. I got very nice pictures, but when I came out of the water, I reached into my swimsuit pocket, with the sudden gut-wrenching feeling of having forgotten what was in my pocket - my iPhone 3G.

When I took it out and turned it upside down, water streamed from the ports, and my wife, having seen the look on my face, could only console me as I let a stream of low volume obscenities fly.

I tried the trick of putting the phone in a bag of rice as soon as I got home, but after 3 days, there was still no activity at all when I attempted to power it on. I took it to the Apple Store, and they pronounced it dead.

This morning I was on my way to the Apple Store to get a new phone when I figured I'd try one more time. Hit the power switch - nothing. Tried a reset - nothing. Plugged it into my wife's laptop, and to my shock and amazement the bright Apple logo appeared. Not wanting to get too excited, I waited for something else to happen, like the unlock screen. Nothing. Then I reset the phone, and the logo came back up, and a few seconds later...the unlock screen! In my best Gene Wilder impression, I yelled, "IT'S ALIIIIIIIIIIVE!" I checked everything out, and other than a rather interesting "gray marble-like" pattern on my screen, and a slightly lower alert volume, it works perfectly. And the screen messiness doesn't really interfere with any apps. Maybe it will fade as the phone dries some more internally.

In total my iPhone spent 4 days "drying up". Attempts to power it on after 1, 2, and 3 days brought no results. I wanted the readers to know that even if your iPhone gets SUBMERGED in water for a good minute or two, all hope is not lost. Just give it a good amount of time to dry up, and check it before throwing in the towel and declaring it dead.

Jun. 26, 2009

item.94931

Matt Ruben

I'm very glad to hear David Abramowitz saved his submerged iPhone by letting it dry out for four days. I had a similar experience with an old cell phone that had been left outside, face-up, in the pouring rain overnight.

However, unlike a rain storm, a swimming pool has chlorine - a powerful bleach disinfectant - in it. The screen "marbling" and lower alert volume David's experiencing might be lingering moisture, but it could also be damage from the chlorine. And this damage could progress over time.

Hopefully that's not the case - but David and anyone else whose portable device takes an accidental swim in a pool should be on the lookout for subsequent degradation.

Jul. 6, 2009

item.95374

Toe Bo

I hand-washed my ipod Shuffle in a sports jacket pocket. Left it for around a month, thinking it was dead and not wanting to face it by trying it. Plugged it in, it charged and still works like a dream. I suppose if you let it dry out totally (for weeks) it should be just fine.

Jul. 30, 2009

item.96688

Michael Mckee

Just wanted to share an experience with my iPod Touch 2nd gen. Last week I opened my washing machine to transfer the clothes to the dryer. My heart stopped. At the bottom of the tub sat my iPod. Going under that assumption that water may not damage electronic components but operating them wet does, I set the thing aside to dry for 4 days. The last day was on the dashboard of my car pointed south into the summer sun.

The results turned out to be positive. The iPod works fine. There is a tiny amount of mottling of the screen, certainly not enough to hamper use. I probably shortened the life of the iPod, but didn't kill it.

Jul. 31, 2009

item.96734

Maurice Pearson

Like David Abramowitz I went "swimming" with my iPhone in the pocket of my swimming shorts for about 10 minutes in a pool in Majorca.

I let it dry out for 10days with ambient temperatures up to 30 degrees centigrade, but it remaine "dead".

The apple store agreed and replaced it for £139.

As my daughter said, "OOPS!"

item.96790

Richard Foss

My wife dropped her iPod Photo 60GB into the swimming pool.
I opened the case and let it dry 3 days.
No trouble since - it has been 3 years or so.

Aug. 1, 2009

item.96841

Samuel Herschbein

My recommendation if the device got really wet: Make sure it's turned off (remove battery if possible). Then rinse it with distilled water to remove any water that has any chemicals in it (including tap water's chlorine and trace minerals).

If it got into salt water: do this ASAP and use copious amounts of distilled water and rinse it vigorously.

For drying, I recommend accelerating the drying with heat and air flow. The heat should be around 120 Fahrenheit, not much hotter. If you have a desktop tower consider placing it inside where it will get some heat and airflow (but not restrict airflow...).

item.96858

MacInTouch Reader

I've heard (but not tried) that the thing to do is immerse the thing in alcohol then let it dry.

The lower surface tension of the alcohol replaces the water and dries without leaving droplets of water behind to corrode things.

i wonder about plastic/rubber and alcohol.

Aug. 3, 2009

item.96894

Rob Gilgan

A family friend noticed that the dog was very irritated by the sound one of the games on his 2G Touch made. So, he harassed the dog with it whenever he needed entertaining. The dog responded by climbing up on the coffee table and urinating on the device. He found his Touch pooched in a puddle of pee. Deader than a parrot in a Monty Python parody, he left the thing alone for about six weeks.

Took it to the Apple Store with every intention of buying a new one (I had already made arrangements to take the old one off his hands, hoping to salvage the SSD). The Genius checked it over for moisture damage and finding none, offered a replacement under warranty. Guess Shelty pee doesn't leave any evidence. Sure does in the neighbour's lawn, though.

item.96908

Gene Woodward

Of all the drying methods Andy Ihnatko used to dry out electronics, puttin the device in alcohol was the least successful. Read some good advice here:

http://ihnatko.com/index.php/2007/10/27/salvage-techniques-for-wet-electronics/

item.96935

Bob Cradock

Andy Ihnatko did some empirical testing of wet-electronics recovery methods that he published in his newspaper and TV outlets. The gist http://ihnatko.com/index.php/2007/10/27/salvage-techniques-for-wet-electronics is that rice is OK, cat litter is better, and an expensive gadget called Dry & Store is best. Vodka? No. Read the whole thing now, so you'll be ready when you need it.

Cat litter has the best price/performance ratio. I've used that method to restore a non-iPod mp3 player, and it worked very well (unfortunately, in that I had to put off the iPod purchase a while longer). If you do it, try not to disperse litter dust that can get into the gadget's crevices. Instead of burying it, I put my player on a small riser above the level of the litter layer in a ziploc bag, and squeezed most of the air out of the bag before sealing it. That way, the desiccant has less wasted air to work on, and can dry the water more effectively.

Just be prepared for a possibly awkward cash register conversation.
Clerk: So, what kind of cat do you have?
Me: I don't actually have a cat. I just want to try something. It's kind of an experiment.
Clerk: (Looks at me, at bag, back at me.) OK, then.

Aug. 4, 2009

item.96975

Mark Hosking

Moisture and humidity are the enemy of any electronic device that has been "drowned" or dropped in liquid, because it causes oxidation of the metal components inside, especially if the unit is powered up as the electricity also "galvanises" the oxidation process.

If a pet urinates on any gadget or it gets dropped or carried into the ocean, or falls in an undesirable liquid, the first action should be to remove the power source and all batteries. Also DO NOT press the power up button to see if the device still functions in the event that it got wet when powered off.

Instead the procedure is to immediately clean any salt water, dirty liquids or pet pee out of the device, with distilled, purified or soda water. Do not use tap water as the chlorine in it is an oxidiser and this will cause more possible damage down the track.

Next carefully shake as much excess liquid (which should only be clean water now) out of the device and dry it with a soft cloth so that the exterior is also dry.

Finally to rapidly, and more effectively than any other method, remove all the remaining moisture and humidity that would otherwise cause oxidation and damage to the internal components of your iPod, phone, video or still camera, or any other expensive, delicate electronic device, grab a vacuum cleaner (or a "Hoover" if you are from the UK) that has a hose attachment and patiently suck out the remaining dampness from the previously wet device using the vacuum cleaner.

Using common sense, pay particular attention to all the slots, sockets, battery storage areas and openings in the device as these areas will allow the suction of the vacuum cleaner to draw air and moisture from deeper inside the wet device.

The amount of humidity and dampness involved in this procedure should not represent a hazard to the vacuum cleaner.

Be patient and spend at least 20 - 30 minutes using this technique to dry the device thoroughly, changing the placement of the hose nozzle every minute or so to ensure that you get at the location of all the internal cavities. Do not rush this procedure, there are no shortcuts.

Never choose to dry any water damaged electronic device using heat such as with a hair dryer or placement of the device in hot sun or in a warm oven. This process will cause the internal moisture to turn to humidity that will lodge itself deeper into the internal components and this will ultimately cause more harm and ongoing oxidation. Therefore what may seem like a successful repair can often develop faults weeks or months later, related to the oxidation that you will have encouraged.

Next, clean and dry any previously removed batteries and reinstall them into the now dried device and power the device up, if it powers up and all the functions are OK then you have just saved your product's life and all it cost you was some patience and electricity to run the vacuum cleaner for 30 minutes.

Remember that time is also your enemy when needing to dry the moisture from the wet device, leaving it in a bag of any "drying" agent for several days will not arrest the oxidation the begins immediately the unit got wet, a vacuum cleaner will arrest the oxidation immediately when you use it to very effectively dry out the internal aspect of the device ASAP. As we all know "rust never sleeps".

Good Luck!

Aug. 21, 2009

item.98010

MacInTouch Reader

Washed my iPod Nano inadvertantly. It has never worked since. That was several weeks ago. I let it dry by itself. Boss told me to put in container with rice, as did my brother, still never worked again. I miss my music!

Aug. 27, 2009

item.98367

MacInTouch Reader

My shuffle went through the wash. Turned it on, nonthing. Charged it, at first nonthing... Then my mom blow dried it. I turned it on again, still nonthing. So I charged it and saw an orange light! I went on iTunes and my songs appeared! Good work Apple!

Sep. 8, 2009

item.99401

Travis B.

About 5 minutes ago, I read Gary Katz's submission about plugging the ipod into a computer. I tried it with my 3rd gen nano that went through the washer and dryer and it worked! What a miracle! Thanks, Gary!

Sep. 28, 2009

item.101336

MacInTouch Reader

I also washed my Ipod 2nd gen Nano. Came immediately to this board and read and read. This is what I did. I put it in a sealed container submerged in dry white rice and set the container on the hot water tank for one day. After that I laid it on the counter and laid the blow dryer on low and aimed it at the Ipod for 5 minutes. After that, I crossed my fingers and plugged it into my computer. Woot Woot the Apple logo showed up... still crossed fingers I left it to charge for a while then unplugged it. It still works, all the music is there. The only thing wrong... or so I thought, is there are a few tiny lines on the screen... almost look like "dashes". However, the battery won't charge :(
Anyone know how easy it is to change the battery? Where can I purchase one? Or is it just easier to take it to a trained professional?

[iFixit is a great resource for take-apart information, as well as parts. -MacInTouch]

item.101340

MacInTouch Reader

Exactly what happened to me. I found it at the bottom of the washing machine, with the earphones still plugged in. I left it in the sun for 2 days, tried it, and it was stuffed. But then after I read the thing how someone plugged their wife's shuffle in to their computer and it worked, I tried that 2 minutes ago and it's charging right now. Turns out it was out of battery before I put it through the wash.

Well, that probably won't be very helpful.

Nov. 5, 2009

item.103798

MacInTouch Reader

We washed a shuffle about 6 months ago. I gave it up for dead after 2 weeks of drying and nothing. But I just couldn't throw it away. I plugged it in a few days ago (at least 6 months later). Works now. Occasionally won't register to iTunes but if I try again later it will.

Dec. 16, 2009

item.106329

MacInTouch Reader

I have also successfully allowed my mom to wash my Ipod Touch. Of course I was so panicked that I immediately tried to turn it on. It did not work. so I let it dry over night, and still nothing. I then tried to charge it. 1 minute.... 2 minutes.... SUCCESS! for some reason it gets really hot when it is plugged can anyone help about that? If so thanks. Oh I don't know if it will hold a charge. (Havent tried charging.)

Jan. 26, 2010

item.108274

MacInTouch Reader

Washed my 8GB 4th Gen Nano. Touchwheel won't work, but it powers on when I plug it into my computer. After reading some of the resurrection stories on this site I'm going to give it some time before I buy a new one.

Jan. 28, 2010

item.108423

MacInTouch Reader

My Touch got washed the other day. Luckily my wife air-dries my pants (the Touch was in the pocket). It was already dry when I discovered that it had been washed but it wouldn't turn on at all. I tried the bag of rice trick thinking that since it was already dry it wouldn't do a thing. Today, after about 18hrs, it powered up for me! Still has some water spots but it works!
  http://ihnatko.com/index.php/2007/10/27/salvage-techniques-for-wet-electronics/

item.108457

Seymour Heinie

I'm so happy I came across this site. I washed my jeans today and was devastated to see my iPod at the bottom of the washer. I'll let it airdry for a couple days then plug it into my PC and see what happens. *crosses fingers*

Feb. 25, 2010

item.110176

MacInTouch Reader

So i live on the east coast right... as you all know we've had some freaky weather lately and we had 3 1/2 feet of snow in the last 3 weeks. Long story short the night of the big snow storm I took my Ipod Nano from the car and 10 steps later BANG! i fell.. Dropped my car keys in a foot of snow.(found the keys) Then i wake up the next morning to discover its 2 feet of snow outside,.. figuring im snowed in i decided to listen to my ipod and WTF?? its missing!! After the snow melted 3 weeks later i see my ipod in the grass this morning lol.. i put it under a space heater for 5 hours and now we're back in bussiness... trust/believe.. must be a miracle. Ha haa haa

Feb. 27, 2010

item.110248

MacInTouch Reader

same thing with me i forgot to take it out and washed my pants... was lookin for it and remembered lol i did the rice thing and... it worked it looked cool with water spots but they dried but still my ipod dies faster now.. o well better than not at all

Mar. 12, 2010

item.110896

MacInTouch Reader

I Just washed my ipod shuffle! I feel so stupid cuz' you know the first thing I did--Turn it on! well i hope it works...and im only 13 soo...my parents are going to FREAK! X(

Mar. 20, 2010

item.111319

MacInTouch Reader

Washed my ipod shuffle. Placed it in a sealed jar with uncooked rice for 5 days to draw moisture out of device. Placed on charger, "restored" device to original factory settings and it worked like a charm!!! Yeah!!

Mar. 23, 2010

item.111428

Donny Watson

I've washed two ipods and both times i dried them out in a vaccuum bell and everything is fine. A vaccuum bell works by sucking out all the air inside it and leaving a vaccuum in its place. Any moisture boils away because in a vaccuum the boiling piont is lowered to room temperature due to atmospheric pressure. If you have access to one, use it. Just give it several hours.

Mar. 30, 2010

item.111697

mak cadiente

why do washing makes the batteries dead ? same thing happened to me ..

Apr. 2, 2010

item.111960

MacInTouch Reader

My ipod shuffle was in my coat pocket. It not only went through the wash, it went through the dryer. When discovered, i plugged it into the computer and turned it on. After 30 minutes the orange blinking light started and about 2 hours later the light turned green. Plugged in headphones and all my music is still on there. Plays beautifully...Wonders never cease. Bravo Apple!

Apr. 20, 2010

item.113113

Jay Smith

This morning I found my son's iPod at the bottom of the washer. Immediately placed it in a sealed bag of rice. Will keep it there for a week and see if it can be revived.

This same thing happened to his last iPod except it went thru the washer and dryer. Tried the bag o rice but was never able to revive the iPod.

Hoping this iPod will be ok.

item.113187

Les M

Well couldnt find the little bugger for 3 days then I got an Idea to check the Dryer there it was Washed Squeeky Clean and Dryed Battery was Zilch But seems to be taking a Charge and I can still see my Music havent Plug into headphones yet Heres a Prayer to the apple Gods!

May. 10, 2010

item.114173

MacInTouch Reader

so i went to the movies with my brother today and of coursed took my own soda cause all they have is diet coke during the credits in my rush to go to the bathroom i toss my soda in my bag and just my luck it wasnt fully closed and it happened to go in upside down. half of the soda went in my bag. as im pulling my belongings out of my soaked purse i pull out my ipod touch my brother says oh s***. my brother had previously washed his 80 gb ipod vid... he had left it out to dry for 3 days and it worked fine except for a ticking sound but luckily apple gave him a replacement. i have my ipod touch in an air tight container full of dry white rice but i dont know if i will get the same result because it was sprite zero. i didnt notice but when we had got home he was playing one of the apps and i seemed to be working fine but about 2 hours later when i turned it on to listen to my music the lock sceen was all fuzzy and irratic.
Do i have any chance that it will work properly again???

May. 29, 2010

item.115254

Alayna Hernandez

My mom goes in the basement to put the clothes in the dryer, and then I hear her,
''Oh MY GOD....'' I asked her wat happened and she said she washed my Ipod nano the one that shoots video, I got so mad! even though it was partly my fault, I put it in a bag of rice for a day then i plugged it in and only a white apple popped up, so i put it back into the bag of rice and hopefully it will work next time i try it!

May. 31, 2010

item.115296

Tan JIn

Wow.. The few day ago, my dear iPod was get washed by washing machine and he felt very depressed and sad. Thanks for you guys advice, just like someone said, I just plug in the iPod to the pc and it work well. Thanks, God.

item.111449

erica genis

ugh i washed my ipod it was in my sweter i thought i had lost it. so im finally washing my cloths for some reason my head kept telling me grab that sweter and i dirent i just trew everything in the washer and then.. yea ugh it also went in the dryer i dirent iven kno till the nex day i put on the sweter and notised theirs was something in the pocket, i look, noo my ipod. i was mad but hey it wasent stollen i conect it to the light for 3 days and nothing. its dead so i went on the computer and had i the urg to conect my ipod so i did .. hey it works im happy i download music and all then when i disconect it it shut off .. ugh grrr so i keep conecthing it and disconnecthing it to see whats wrong. all a suden i try to connect it and the apple shows up but it turns off so i cant axses enithing does any one kno what i should do if you do plz email me at "shadow91008230@yahoo.com"

item.114988

Daniel S

I found my 5th Gen Ipod Nano in the bottom of the washing machine last week. When I pulled it out water was visible beneath the screen. I put it in the oven on a very low heat for a couple of hours, then let it really dry out for about 5 days. I gave it the odd shake to dislodge the water.

I had very little hope that it would make it as pushing buttons did nothing. Yet when I bravely plugged it in, the lights came on, started charging and all good! My files are still on it!!The only thing I am not sure about is the radio which froze the nano up when I tried to use that feature.

Jun. 2, 2010

item.115383

Matt S

I'm glad I found this site.

I, too, recently washed my 5th Generation iPod Nano. It's been a week and the unit has been sitting in a bag of uncooked rice.

The moisture is pretty much gone, but I can still see just a tad. I'm going to wait it out a few days more(thank goodness I have an IPOd Classic) before plugging in and charging.

But I'm very optimistic that my little guy will live. It feels like I've been on coma watch!

Jul. 20, 2010

item.118097

MacInTouch Reader

All, basically same story, routine altered, ignored the little voice telling me to check all the pockets, found the Shuffle after the first wash cycle, headphones and all. Stuck everything in a small tupperware with rice and a silica packet. A day later the headphones worked on another iPod, but no Shuffle. Today plugged the Shuffle into the Mac, got an amber light and everything came up on iTunes. Waited a few minutes for it to be charged, ejected, and turned it on. First song: Enter Sandman. Played like a champ.

Jul. 22, 2010

item.118167

Jackson S

So I just found my Ipod nano with the camera in the dryer last night after it had been in a pair of pants through the washer and about 20 minutes of the dryer. I pulled it out and, not knowing that I'm suppoesed to keep it off pressed the play button. The song I'd been listening to the day before resumed playing out of the Ipod's speaker and the screen was pure white. I also saw there was some water drops under the screen. The headphones, which had been plugged in, I later found out were working fine. The Ipod itself is now sitting in a bowl of rice and I'm hoping that the screen dries out.
Anyone have any suggestions that I should try if the rice fails to get the screen working?

Jul. 26, 2010

item.118322

MacInTouch Reader

Ok this was the 4th ipod shuffle I had to buy because of washing, but this time I let it dry for a day and tried it and it worked. Yipee, I should have done that with the others......

Jul. 31, 2010

item.118663

MacInTouch Reader

I forgot to check my pockets, so of course my iPod Nano ended up in the wash. The interesting thing? It also went unnoticed into the dryer. It's been about a day and a half, so before looking this up, I tried turning it on. Nothing happened. I'm not sure if rice will work, since it was already dried, but here's hoping it does...
Does anyone know what will happen?

Aug. 28, 2010

item.120037

MacInTouch Reader

The same thing happend to me ... 3 times, and it works just fine (with me)

Sep. 7, 2010

item.120592

MacInTouch Reader

I dropped mine in the sink with the water running.
I blow dried it and I put it in rice.
But I had already tried to turn it on.
It turns on but the slide button doesn't work,
and the battery life is awful.

Sep. 14, 2010

item.120999

MacInTouch Reader

My daughter left her iPod Touch in her pocket and it went through the washer. We got it working again by putting it in a food dehydrator for four days. We set the dehydrator up so the lid was open to keep the temps down to around 100 degrees. After 4 days, we plugged it into the USB on the iMac, charged it, restored it, and reloaded the contents. It works as good as new - and it's cleaner! lol Lots of buttons were pushed when it was still wet - she was frantic to see if it would work. The irony was that I had seen her slip it into pocket a couple days earlier, and told her not to do it because she might forget to take it out. I think she's learned her lesson- the hard way (as we all do).

Sep. 20, 2010

item.121335

Sarah R

I feel much better after reading some of these stories. My mom washed my ipod shuffle and headphones (still connected) in the washer. It was on the whole time and I thought I lucked out at first- but it won't shuffle. I'm debating on if I should chance sending it in to Apple. I'm under warrenty still, but I know water damage isn't covered,and I have no clue how to tell if the water seal was... well, watered. Should I just get a new ipod? Apple says that if they find water damage it's $99.00. I only payed about $60 for the darn thing!

Sep. 25, 2010

item.121601

Crystal Miller

ok last night i left my new ipod nano in the washing mashine and didnt discover it until the cycle was over i instantly started screaming almost crying...so i left it in a bag of rice near the oven and then to day left it near the window..2day i tried turning it on without ne luck so i tried plugging it into the computer..after a few minutes it got hot like waayy more then it should be..is there any hope????

Nov. 5, 2010

item.124061

MacInTouch Reader

So I washed my ipod.. I have it on the heater vent with some silica gel packs in a zip lock bag... going to try it in a couple days... i'll let you know if it works..

Nov. 18, 2010

item.124920

MacInTouch Reader

I accidentally washed my son's iPod Nano (used to be my wife's), in the washing machine, inside his cargo pants because I didn't check his pockets.

When I saw it, I thought, bummer, oh well - hopefully he'll learn a lesson, but that's not how it worked out. I got blamed for it anyway.

So, it's been a month or two since the "wash", and believe it or not, *it works*! Yes, he plugged it in this morning, said it was charging, and then he brought it over with the headset and viola! It played! I couldn't believe it. I have no idea how that's possible.

The washing machine is a Maytag Neptune, where it does not have an agitator. It has two big plastic discs facing each other, where it spins the clothes.

I can't remember if I ended up finding it in the dryer, or in the washing machine. I'm pretty sure it was in the washing machine in the bottom after I took all the clothes out.

So, I wanted to post this and hopefully provide some information, that despite washing the iPod Nano, after a couple of months, it unbelievably worked!

Love to hear any conclusions if anyone has any, about how this was possible.

item.121790

Danielle P

My mum had put my iPod through the washing machine a few months ago. I found it just today and went to plug it in, and it's fine. But the music won't play; the clicker sound works. I've restored it 3 times, plugged it into the computer and it won't show. I brought up iTunes and it still won't show. My ipod thinks it's playing music but it's not. The numbers of how many seconds the song's been playing does move and if I plug in earphones, nothing happens. What should I do? Is my iPod stuffed?!

item.123420

MacInTouch Reader

I washed my mp3 player by accident - they are so small you forget they are there. First, my husband was an ET for the Navy for 20 years, so I knew not to try to turn it on when it was wet. When you do that, you short out everything and kill the device, but how to dry it out? I went online and some people there sugesting to rice it. What the heck is ricing? It quite simply is putting the device in dry rice. It sounds real stupid, but I can tell you it really works. It takes time, but if you put it in dry rice, cover it top bottom and sides, and let it set for about a week before you turn it on, it will dry out and work ok

Nov. 19, 2010

item.125007

MacInTouch Reader

I think most flash-based players will be ok after a washing, at least in terms of the memory functioning. The big issue would be with the screens, but many small devices have incredibly tightly packed screens that don't necessarily have room for liquid (unlike most laptop screens), I have put a few USB keys through the wash more than a few times, and always after a bit of drying out ithey are back to normal. But that is true for many electronics, even laptops. As long as power isn't applied, they often will be fine after getting dried out (and maybe cleaned if it was something sugary).

item.125013

Luke Rademacher

Hopefully you are like me and you find tons of those silica gel packets that come in various things or those silica pods found in medicine bottles. Next time your beloved electric gadget gets an unexpected bath, put your washed gadget into a large bowl filled to the brim with these silica packets and pods. The packet/pods soak up all the moisture from within the gadget. Could take a good 2-3 days, though, to soak it all. The device has to be almost literally covered with the packets/pods.

The biggest issue for me was when my iPhone got dunked in water outside when I dropped my keys. I thought i was S.O.L. when the screen & colors were looking like a psychedelic Jimi Hendrix concert.

item.125014

Skot Nelson

Re:

Some people there sugesting to rice it. What the heck is ricing? It quite simply is putting the device in dry rice. It sounds real stupid, but I can tell you it really works.

Stashing electronics that have been washed/submerged in water in rice doesn't "really work." It's no guarantee, and it's going to depend on the specifics of the situation.

Kitty Litter is actually better than rice, apparently, as it's an engineered chemical desiccant that will hold more water. Again no guarantees though.

Good luck to those who've had bad.

Nov. 20, 2010

item.125044

Arthur van der Harg

Yeah, been there, done that. I had my 1 month old iPhone 3GS in the front pocket of my motorcycle jacket and got drenched by a rainshower. The pocket was watertight and, unfortunately, not closed properly. My iPhone leaked little rivulets of water when I took it out.

I put it in a plastic bag with kitty litter to get the worst out. Back home I carefully removed the two tiny screws, then used a suction cup to remove the glass front. Then I took a fresh bag and fresh kitty litter and put it in the oven at a setting just under the maximum allowed storage temperature. I left it there for a day and a half.

I removed it from the bag, carefully blew off all dust, closed the lid and turned it on. It started right up. This was september last year, so it's been holding up for 14 months now. Yay!

item.125058

John Griffin

About waterlogged electronic devices:

I had a friend who worked for Environment Canada who had access to a decompression chamber. He fixed an old camera of mine that accidentally fell into the lake at my cottage. When I got home I gave it to him and he took it to work and 'decompressed' it. It worked fine after that.

More recently I got a jar that I can pump air out of and make a vacuum inside that I use for storing coffee beans. I tested it by putting a ringing alarm clock in and as the air was pumped out, the alarm became silent - and resumed ringing when the air was let back out.

I haven't tried it, but I was assume the same technique could be used to quickly dry out an iPod. You could even combine it with surrounding it in kitty litter, I suppose. The jar is no longer made, but it used to have the 'Starfrit' brand name on it.

item.125075

Bob Cradock

Here's another vote for cat litter. I salvaged a (non-iPod) player with it a few years back. Andy Ihnatko had a great post about drying options that was a godsend.

Of course, if I hadn't been able to save that old Sandisk, I'd have moved up to an iPod sooner than last year, so maybe it *wasn't* the best solution for me. :-)

item.125077

Steven Gold

If you're going to use kitty-litter to remove moisture, be sure not to allow the cat access to the box. ;-)

Seriously, it is best to use the "crystal" type of kitty-litter as these are silica gel -- a powerful desiccant which will absorb moisture. Clay-based litters absorb liquids but aren't as effective in absorbing moisture from the air.

Silica Gel is also available at most craft stores as it's sold to dry flowers, but it's finer ground and can cause problems if it gets into jacks & switches. The kitty-litter crystals are coarser and also cheaper.

item.125083

John Pisle

Kitty litter is not really a dessicant, it is a dried clay product which will absorb free water but does very little to dehydrate. I use two different methods to dry out phones and ipods and such. First method is silica gel flower drying crystals. Usually found in craft stores and available in 4 - 8 oz tubs. Wrap the electronic in a paper towel to preclude dust and place it in the tub or a airtight ziplock bag. 24 to 48 hrs may do the trick. The second is use calcium chloride ice melter similar to Peak Ice Melter. Same procedure, wrap the ipod in a paper towel and place in ziplock bag with 1 to 2 oz of the calcium chloride. If you can place it in an oven which will not exceed 125 degrees F both methods will work faster, about 12 hours. I have "rescued" the same LG nV phone 4 times from full immersion in fresh water with this method (failed the fifth time after a sea water swim)

item.125086

Gene Woodward

Reader Skot Nelson noted that kitty litter can dry out wet electronics better than rice.

Andy Ihnatko tried several methods restoring wet phones a while ago, some were totally ineffective, some worked. He said the following about kitty litter:

"not just any kind: the crystal type, made from 100% silica. That's the same ingredient in those little white desiccant packets ("DO NOT EAT") that come tucked inside a new coat or an electronic device."

Andy used Fresh Step Crystals: Salvage Techniques for Wet Electronics

item.125094

Michael Beaudoin

Try TidyCats Crystals. It's mainly silica and very good at drawing out the moisture. Worked on my daughter's cell phone when she leaned over and dropped it in the toilet!

item.125104

Rob Gilgan

I lost my iPhone 3G S in a stream on a trip to Tennessee. I headed off to Walmart for some kitty litter, but my wife found three desiccant (silica gel) packets in our luggage while I was away, so we left the phone for 24 hours in a Ziploc with the little packets. Came back to life and hasn't missed a beat since. Needless to say, I carry the desiccants in a Ziploc in my camera bag now.

The phone was powered up when it went for its swim - I dried it all off and thought it was okay - 20 minutes later, it seized up and then went white. I didn't realize until I got back to the hotel that the protective case (a silicon cover inside plastic armor) was actually holding water in the phone. So - if it gets submerged, strip the protection off of it, pronto.

Last week, my wife got a nice big (3 x 4 inch) pack of silica gel in a new purse. Perfect iPhone companion.

item.125118

Phil Rose

John Pisle said:

"use calcium chloride ice melter similar to Peak Ice Melter. Same procedure, wrap the ipod in a paper towel and place in ziplock bag with 1 to 2 oz of the calcium chloride."

Be extremely careful if using calcium chloride as a dessicant with electronics. Particles of calcium chloride exposed for a while to moist atmosphere can deliquesce (i.e., become tiny puddles of corrosive solution wherever they have settled). So keeping the wet device *very* well-wrapped is important as even stainless steel will likely be damaged in fairly short order if it's allowed to contact particles of calcium chloride.

Next Page...

MacInTouch Amazon link...

Talk to MacInTouch     Support  •  Find/Go