Dec. 14, 2013
Dec. 16, 2013
Dec. 17, 2013
Dec. 18, 2013

Previous Page...

Feb. 9, 2013

item.169866

Brian Matthews

Yep, same problem here with Discover Card statements. Sent them a message, was told they weren't aware of any issue and to use Adobe Reader.

item.169867

MacInTouch Reader

On the Discover Statements tab/page, the one with the "Important Note for Mac Users:", click on the "Visit Account Activity to:" link. Doing so will take you to the old familiar "Account Activity" tab/page. Click on the "Save to PDF" link. This will open a window which allows you to chose the information to be contained in your PDF. Once selected, click the "Save to PDF" button and the file will be downloaded to your computer. This version of your statement is viewable in Preview.

Feb. 11, 2013

item.169898

Tom Stiller

I have exactly the same problem but FWIW, Safari on iOS devices will display the form properly, but I don't know how to save it.

Feb. 22, 2013

item.170459

Allen Garfield

Today, 03/21/13, I downloaded my current statement from Discover.com and it opened with Preview (I forgot about it requiring Adobe Reader) and it displayed properly. So, I re-downloaded last month's statement and it also displayed fine. Even though they have a message on the site instructing Mac users to use Adobe Reader it appears that the previous problem has been corrected and it's no longer necessary to use Adobe Reader.

Feb. 23, 2013

item.170511

Victor Drummond

Allen Garfield pointed out that as of 3/21/13 Discover Card statements downloaded in PDF format now display properly in Preview.

The on-line display of statements has also been fixed. I can now display a statement that previously failed to display any content other than a few graphics, and it displays all content properly.

Congratulations to Discover for responding to an obvious problem with how their PDFs were being created.

Feb. 25, 2013

item.170575

MacInTouch Reader

Victor Drummond writes,

"Congratulations to Discover for responding to an obvious problem with how their PDFs were being created."

All they did was work around longstanding problems with Apple's PDF rendering. There are still other PDF files that will not display properly, requiring the gold standard, Adobe Reader.

May. 15, 2013

item.173830

Roger Parish

I just tried to display my current (March 2013) Discover statement with Safari 6.0.4; I got a blank screen. Trying it in Google Chrome, it worked just fine.

May. 16, 2013

item.173866

Colleen Thompson

Re:

I just tried to display my current (March 2013) Discover statement with Safari 6.0.4; I got a blank screen. Trying it in Google Chrome, it worked just fine.

First, make sure you are not running an extension like AdBlock or Ghostery which may be interfering; if so, disable them temporarily.

Moving on... if the statement is a PDF, you can right-click on the statement link in the previous page to download it, after which it should open in Preview or Adobe Reader just fine.

What I prefer to do is amputate the Adobe PDF plug-ins from the/Library/Internet plug-ins folder. Then online PDFs will display using Safari's native PDF viewer.

Installers for Adobe Reader up to version 10 made installing the plug-ins an option, which I always unchecked. As near as I can tell, Adobe Reader 11 does not give us that option, and I always have to go and remove those files after installing it. I consider this the height of arrogance on Adobe's part. (For which attitude I will apologize if I am wrong.)

May. 17, 2013

item.173895

Luther Fuller

My experience is that my bank requires Adobe Reader.

This means that if I remove/uninstall/disable Adobe Reader, then my bank's web page will simply tell me to install Adobe Reader when I try to see or download my statement pdf file.

With Adobe Reader enabled, I can open the pdf document in Safari, then download a copy to my desktop.

This is over-intrusion by Adobe. Once-upon-a-time, long, long ago, I could download a pdf file to my desktop by simply clicking its link. Perfect!

May. 18, 2013

item.173921

Chuck Reti

A few months ago, my credit union, which has always been pretty forward-looking with its online banking features, suddenly served up the "you must install Adobe Reader" message when I went to fetch my monthly statement. Additionally, I was using Firefox at the time, for which there was no Adobe Reader plug-in. Reluctantly, I installed Reader so Safari could retrieve my information.

Last month, however, the requirement for Reader had silently disappeared, and the monthly statement PDF is back to being a click-to-download. I hope the irate emails from me and many others forced the return to normalcy and simplicity.

item.173924

David Layman

To Mr. Luther Fuller, re. bank marginalization:

Protest. Let them know how the use of Adobe makes your work-flow inefficient. Both one of my credit card companies and my electric company had that problem; after I contacted them, both of them fixed it. (I'm not going to say it was *my* protest that made the difference, but someone has to be first.)

item.173933

MacInTouch Reader

Re:

"My experience is that my bank requires Adobe Reader."

What bank?

item.173936

MacInTouch Reader

Re:

My experience is that my bank requires Adobe Reader.

This means that if I remove/uninstall/disable Adobe Reader, then my bank's web page will simply tell me to install Adobe Reader when I try to see or download my statement pdf file.

With Adobe Reader enabled, I can open the pdf document in Safari, then download a copy to my desktop.
This is over-intrusion by Adobe. Once-upon-a-time, long, long ago, I could download a pdf file to my desktop by simply clicking its link. Perfect!

No, it's poor programming on the part of your bank.

If they're generating a PDF file, you should be able to read it in OS X, without Adobe Reader.

item.173941

Matt Neuburg

Re:

Once-upon-a-time, long, long ago, I could download a pdf file to my desktop by simply clicking its link. Perfect!

And you still can. Hold Option, click the link. The PDF file will download.

item.173944

Michael Wineke

Luther Fuller's issue with "my bank" requiring Reader would be best addressed by contacting the bank. Presumably, there is some security built into the Reader application that the bank deemed necessary/highly desirable. So, a security plus?

The bank would be able to tell you if this was true or not. Heck, Maybe examining the features of Reader would help you find out. Still, contact the bank.

This sounds like an undesirable feature for Luther Fuller, and Luther needs to determine if the benefits offered by the bank outweigh this problem. If not, a new bank might suit him better.

One could just move the PDF plugin to a Plugins Disabled folder when not connecting to that bank, and set the preferred PDF application to Preview. On downloads, right-click to open in Reader. The banking environment (requirement to use Reader) could also be automated to move the PDF plugin back into Internet Plugins, then open a browser window to the bank. It could operate like a toggle, or allow the selection "Go Banking" or "Stop Banking".   :)

Also, I'm not sure how this is Mac Marginalization, as there is a version for Reader for the Mac, free for the download.

item.173953

Stephen Hart

Luther Fuller wrote: "

My experience is that my bank requires Adobe Reader."

Many sites include such language. Almost always, that's wrong, and Preview will work fine. Furthermore, if Adobe Reader's plugins aren't installed, Safari will use its built-in pdf viewer.

"Once-upon-a-time, long, long ago, I could download a pdf file to my desktop by simply clicking its link. Perfect!"

You still can. Merely control-click (or right-click) the pdf link, and choose download. That almost always works.

May. 20, 2013

item.174014

Bill Martin

Re:

"Not on my credit union's site.
Without using Adobe Reader I could not access my information (until they sensibly reverted to previous practice)."

I don't have that problem. I just hit File>Save. It downloads to my desktop as a webarchive. Just change .webarchive to .pdf. The change is instantaneous.

item.173962

Chuck Reti

Re:

"You still can. Merely control-click (or right-click) the pdf link, and choose download. That almost always works."

Not on my credit union's site. The Download or "Get" button activated a server-side app (PHP or some such) that would again inform me that Adobe Reader was not installed, so No Soup for You. It was not simply a link to the file. Otherwise I'd have simply done as suggested, right-click download and use Preview. Without using Adobe Reader I could not access my information (until they sensibly reverted to previous practice).

item.173968

Jack W

You can open Acrobat Reader files with Preview.

It works better, anyway, and doesn't give printing problems like Reader sometimes does.

For instance, it remembers dual-sided printing. You have to reset that each time you want to print from Acrobat Reader. Drives me crazy.

item.173975

Luther Fuller

Matt Neuburg said

"And you still can. Hold Option, click the link. The PDF file will download."

So I tried it ... and I can!

Jul. 27, 2013

item.176474

MacInTouch Reader

My credit union uses another site's page for my mortgage information.

The site says, that due to security issues, only IE has been tested and approved for use on the site.

Security? I'm already logged into the bank's site.

I have been complaining to the BECU for awhile now and they say they are working on it. Imagine all of the consumers out there with Macs who can't see their mortgage information!

They still have not fixed it (although there is a workaround), and I'm getting refinanced and moving to another institution, anyway.

Dec. 13, 2013

item.183574

Steven Gold

I have a friend who is volunteering for the AARP to help seniors with their tax returns; she's undergoing the training now. The AARP training software *requires* Microsoft Internet Explorer 8,9,or 10, and she has an iMac. (People have tried FireFox or Safari with the faked UserAgent, and it didn't work.)

I suggested she try CrossOver to avoid purchasing Windows and setting up BootCamp or paying even more to add Parallels into the equation. (She lives out of state and is computer illiterate so VirtualBox was out of the question). To install Internet Explorer 8 one tells CrossOver to install it and CrossOver automatically downloads it and the required Windows support components & installs them. You then have a "Internet Explorer 8" icon which when clicked, starts the CrossOver support and launches IE. Very cool and she reports she can now access the web-based training software problem free.

item.183601

MacInTouch Reader

Steven Gold writes,

"I have a friend who is volunteering for the AARP to help seniors with their tax returns; she's undergoing the training now. The AARP training software *requires* Microsoft Internet Explorer 8,9,or 10, and she has an iMac. (People have tried FireFox or Safari with the faked UserAgent, and it didn't work.)"

The solution to this is to get the AARP to not require Internet Explorer at all, and instead be standards compliant so that any computer will work, namely the ones many seniors actually have, which includes Macs and iPads.

Finding something compatible on the Mac doesn't get the message across that what they are doing is a really bad idea and doesn't help the very group they represent.

Dec. 14, 2013

item.183609

Elliot Wicks

I volunteer to do tax preparation for the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA), which serves clients like those that AARP serves. This program has a similar problem: the training programs are Mac-compatible, but one cannot take the test to be certified every year without using Internet Explorer. It's very aggravating. I have made the point several times that they should make the program so that it can be used on any conforming browser, but to no avail.

Dec. 16, 2013

item.183735

Craig Wiener

As a VITA volunteer, I want to reiterate that the nonprofit has no choice as to what tax prep software to use - the use of CCH's TaxWise is an IRS decision. Unfortunately, due to the need to have access to prior year's returns, it would be difficult to switch to something else. And it's a non-issue for most nonprofits which operate VITA sites since they use PCs (many of which are provided by the IRS) for tax prep services.

That doesn't mean that the IRS and CCH shouldn't be encouraged to make TaxWise Mac-friendly for those volunteers who need to do their training on a Mac. But to say that you're going to boycott a nationwide volunteer program because of this issue is a non-starter for me. It's not a major inconvenience and to deny people a valuable service for this reason strikes me as unduly punitive.

item.183651

John Davidson

Unfortunately, AARP is not the culprit here. It's either the IRS that contracts with a company called CCH to supply the software that AARP and Vita volunteers use, or it's CCH that writes the software. AARP doesn't have any control over the software.

item.183671

Brian S

Re:

"I have made the point several times that they should make the program so that it can be used on any conforming browser, but to no avail."

I would treat a volunteer organization like a business (i.e. vote with my wallet/feet). Maybe mention to them that there are other volunteering opportunities. If you only complain but keep coming back, you'll be ignored. Another thing to do is to mention this policy on their Facebook page. Lastly, tell them goodbye and find another place to volunteer.

Dec. 17, 2013

item.183714

Brian S

John Davidson wrote:

"AARP doesn't have any control over the software"

Maybe not directly but they might be able to influence matters. Imagine if AARP posts on their web page (or their blog/Twitter/Facebook) that their provider's software prevents them from working with Mac volunteers.

Dec. 18, 2013

item.183822

Steven Gold

As the author of the original posting on this issue, my experience with government IT leads me to believe there is no chance the IRS will request any change to the software this tax season.

My intent was to point out a very easy & inexpensive work-around I found, *not* requiring a purchase of Windows: IE 8 runs fine under CrossOver.

MacInTouch Amazon link...

Talk to MacInTouch     Support  •  Find/Go