Mar. 31, 2010
May. 1, 2010
May. 3, 2010
Jun. 5, 2010
Mar. 10, 2011
Jan. 14, 2009

item.85337

Dave Clark

I'm disappointed, but not hardly surprised that this is still an issue nearly three years later.

We had just started the process of abandoning Windows when we got the news that Rapattoni's latest abomination would only work with IE - the slowest, buggiest, most insecure of the major browsers.

The ONLY reason these clowns are able to get away with this kind of crap is because of the lack of competition. Most of us are effectively locked into one MLS system, and couldn't change even if we wanted to. So, of course Microsoft woos Rapattoni with attractive terms, just to ensure us agents don't stray to far from the pack.

Mar. 31, 2009

item.89760

Terrell Smith

Century21 at http://www.century21.com - click on Map Tool, and you are told to use IE or FireFox. Changing the user agent in Safari doesn't seem to help, and FireFox shows a blank map. Ah, the map is by "Microsoft"!

I guess they don't want any of those nasty Mac users moving into their neighborhood!

Apr. 3, 2009

item.89989

Mark Peterson

I am a new agent. I have used macs for years and am presently operating with Parallels and XP. I can not stand this inferior system; it is buggy, klunky and doesn't work predictably. Suggestions? Please...

Apr. 29, 2009

item.91330

Chris Davis

I am also a new real estate agent and a loyal Mac customer, dumbfounded by not only the indifference of the technology component of the RE industry to the Mac platform, but the seemingly hostile negligence in making sites and software for anything other than Windows. These people can not only be idiots... for example , the website for the broker testing organization in my state ONLY works on IE, only on Windows. Not IE maybe on a Mac, but IE ONLY on Windows. WTF? It's not 2001. Are these people from Mars? It is obviously a deliberate marginalization.

Seems like gradual improvements are emerging, but the workarounds and configurations noted in posts prior to mine seem overly complicated and full of hassle for the layperson. Preferring Macs includes enjoying ease of use and not worrying about the maze of workarounds described above. Who knows though I may have to bite the bullet...

Apr. 30, 2009

item.91345

MacInTouch Reader

If the broker testing is state-administered, check with your your states attorney or a sympathetic Assembly person about the government requirement for open access. That is, all state testing via the web *must be* platform-agnostic. It may take time, but the site may be open to lawsuits if they are not compliant with state and federal law.

Caveat: Your state may not have such a law at this time, but the Feds do, and if your RE broker license is a federal requirement, then the online broker testing site must meet federal regulation.

Just a thought to ponder.

item.91369

Bradford Riendeau

The Windows-only, Microsoft-product-only prejudice in Real Estate has been around for at least 15 years. My father ran a company that had a very functional in-house 4D database running on Macs. The local board put out tenders for a computerized MLS system and the only options were totally Windows-centric. If his company's 4D database had been capable of dealing with the existing PC base, they could have competed with the product being sold to the board.

There are niche marketing software development people. They thrive on niches were the users are not capable of creating competition. Their products are usually customized databases. This same model kept terminal-accessed mainframes in business well into the PC era in the 80's. There is real potential here for a Mac/Unix person who has database expertise to branch out and take on accounts with an any-computer, anywhere web-accessed product. Part of what these niche marketeers sell is "fool proof" systems that require minimal tech support. Sounds like the web to me.

item.91371

MacInTouch Reader

As a realtor in Arizona and a paying member of state a local members groups. I have written several letters to our association and ARMLS to no avail.

Funny thing is that the majority of realtors are using Mac nowadays.

Thing is that the board members are too stupid to know how to counter web designers and their agendas to keep Macs out of the systems.

Our new MLS system that we just switched to, however, works better on Apple Macs than the [***] Windows machines....

May. 1, 2009

item.91399

Bill Planey

I know that iPhones are very popular with realtors, and I wonder how accessing and modifying their listings with their iPhones is even feasible, if it's so difficult to do the same with a Macintosh? You would think that the anti-Mac bias in Real Estate would be seriously under attack because of the iPhone's popularity...

item.91406

Colleen Thompson

Our state (Wyoming) has had the same Windows-centric problem. I have several clients who either ran VirtualPC or bought a cheap windows box just to run RealFast (forms) and the MLS database. They've been complaining to their organization (fruitlessly) for lo these many years. That's why my one client was recently so happy when we got RealFast working under Crossover.

item.91416

MacInTouch Reader

Maybe those of us who use real estate agents to search for and buy real estate should ask as we walk in the door how friendly their on-line tools are (for licensing and for consumer searching). Then, explain our interest in using that agency (or not) based on their answer and the extent to which they participate in Mac Marginalization.

It's true, licensing in many states should not legally be limited to IE on Windows.

May. 4, 2009

item.91542

MacInTouch Reader

To the reader who suggests people ask about their realtors' Mac Marginalization before hiring them, bear in mind that it isn't up to the realtors themselves to decide, but the associations/groups they belong to (I gather this from postings over the year here, I don't know for sure one way or another). If one in an area is using Mac-unfriendly software, there's a good chance most are.

But, beyond that, esp. in this climate, I seriously doubt that any but the extremely Mac-faithful are going to be more concerned about whether their tools are Mac-friendly more than they are concerned about getting a good price for their property.

And from my experience, I would be more concerned with the realtors getting better spelling checkers and going back to school for a few English courses to learn sentence construction, proper grammar, etc. I am just amazed at the outright hideous use of language one sees in listings.

Jan. 23, 2010

item.108132

Bill Planey

I just emailed the following to Nick Rapattoni, president of Rapattoni (the MLS back-end provider):

My wife, a realtor, struggled for years with the Rapattoni-backed hack job of a system back-ending the NTREIS MLS here in the Dallas area that was hers to access on our MACINTOSH computer at home. For years she dealt with that kludge of a Citrix gateway that was slow and buggy and could not generate a number of reports reliably or print.

I called your technical team a number of times and told them that THERE SHOULD NOT BE ANY ActiveX components on ANY website (it is not approved by the W3 consortium), even if you could assume every last user was on Windows. Apple does not support ActiveX (mainly because it is not approved for general web design anyway) and that should have been enough for you to come up with an improved solution that eliminated it and the Citrix kludge. The web is supposed to be PLATFORM NEUTRAL.

And especially with the popularity of the iPhone (which is also popular among realtors), you should felt a strong urgency to make these improvements because they would want to be accessing the MLS system from yet another device that was not going to permit ActiveX (or Flash for that matter) in its browser.

So, just letting you know - the MarketLinx InnoVia system that NTREIS just replaced Rapattoni with works beautifully on the Macintosh. Your competitor did what you refused to do and they won the business.

Feb. 16, 2010

item.109615

Chris Sterns

Hi Ric,

I am a real estate Broker in Orlando, FL. I've been using Mac's in my real estate business in a PC environment (not Mac friendly) since the Intel switch a couple of years ago.

I found your site looking for (Google search) other real estate Agents in the US who use Mac's and who would have an interest in connecting for the purpose of sharing and exchanging Mac experiences in the real estate world.

From what I can see, you're the only site that has any proactive agents. Seems as though there would be more interest in forming a group with common interests.

Your thoughts?

Feb. 17, 2010

item.109728

David Krafchick

Chris,

See if there is a Mac Users Group near where you live. You might also contact your Real Estate Association for Florida and find out how many members use Macs and might be interested in forming a group or a Special Interest group within a local Users Group.

The other option is to search www.meetup.com and again see if there are any Mac groups or even start one yourself.

Feb. 24, 2010

item.110097

Mary O'Neil

MLXchange in the Greater New Orleans Area: they just don't care and hope we go away. Now I am getting complaints from Mac Users who go on my website they can't open the listings.

Mar. 25, 2010

item.111536

AJ Tremble

It looks like the Rapattoni MLS System is pretty close to being Mac compatible using the FireFox web browser. Pretty much all of the daily functions I use the system for work, sometimes better than on PC, using my Mac.

This is a big win!

Mar. 31, 2010

item.111810

MacInTouch Reader

Apparently in Austin, TX and in Southern Cal, a product called IDS by MarketLinx has offered a solution. Marketlinx is the product that powers MLXchange and Tempo. It might just be a matter of the Georgia realtors rattling some cages.

Go to these links to learn more:
http://www.abor.com/mls/IDS_MAC_Installation.pdf
http://www.abor.com/mls/mlxpro.cfm
http://www.mlxhelp.com/Content/TrainingResources/JEFF/New%20Tutorials/IDS%20links_actris/IDS%20Links_ACTRIS_controller.swf

May. 1, 2010

item.113787

Sally Doolittle

BAREIS (Bay Area Real Estate Information Service) MLS has just announced that Mac users can access the MLS through the Firefox web browser. I just tried it - it works. Hooray!

May. 3, 2010

item.113883

Colin Ballard

I've just learned that Rapattoni MLS (technogy behind BAREIS) is also being enhanced for Safari. I tried the site on my iPad and it works suprisingly well. I imagine that it will only get better as they enhance for Safari. Finally some good news for Mac powered Realtors.

Jun. 5, 2010

item.115524

Jasper Spencer

I'm an agent in Austin, TX and while the IDS client mentioned above works, it's woefully slow on my 13" Macbook Pro, to the point that it feels almost unusable. Maybe I'm spoiled, but I'm having flashbacks to the dial-up era of the internet!

Mar. 10, 2011

item.131205

Russ Macnab

Want to use MLXchange on a Mac or iPad? Me too! I have startted a petiton to make Marketlinx realize that this should be a priority! Please sign and pass along to anybody who you think feels the same way.

Thanks!

http://www.gopetition.com/petition/43660.html

MacInTouch Amazon link...

Talk to MacInTouch     Support  •  Find/Go