Mac Marginalization: DVD

Nov. 3, 2009
Nov. 4, 2009
Nov. 5, 2009
Nov. 25, 2009
Nov. 3, 2009

item.103690

Tom Hensley

For many months I've been importing my old slides into iPhoto via Costco's slide-to-disc service. This week, Costco made some changes in that service, now delivering the product on DVDs instead of CDs. The new DVDs format is laden with useless PC software, and in the process, something seems to have gone horribly wrong, since I can no longer drag the folder of ,jpgs into iPhoto and open them. In fact, I can no longer even copy the folder onto my internal drive. Trying to do so gives a -36 error with a message that the file can not be read. Some bozo programmer at Costco seems to have gone out of his way to make their discs unusable for Mac owners. I reported this to my local Costco, and an employee there promised to investigate on his Mac at home, but as it stands now, Costco can no longer provide you a usable disc from your photos. I suspect there's be a lot more commotion about this, but I thought I'd share the situation now for those of you considering using this service.

Nov. 4, 2009

item.103719

Stephen Hart

Tom Hensley wrote:

"For many months I've been importing my old slides into iPhoto via Costco's slide-to-disc service."

In careful slide-by-slide comparisons, I found ScanCafe to produce significantly better images than our local Costco service. ScanCafe is very slow, however.

FWIW, I also found that I could do pretty well with an HP G4050 flatbed scanner, if I took enough time with each slide. The best result I got, though, is photographing single slides on a light table, using my Nikon Coolpix S10, which has excellent close focussing. Again, it's time consuming.

Nov. 5, 2009

item.103810

Michele Lellouche

Thanks, Tom Hensley, about the Costco slide conversions. I hadn't tried them yet but hearing about your experience, I guess I'll be trying Scancafe or someone else!

Nov. 25, 2009

item.105045

Tom Hensley

Please note that my problems with the Costco slide conversion were a one-time aberration caused by an ill-behaving machine. The person at Costco followed through, found the problem, replaced my DVD and all subsequent jobs have been done to my satisfaction. Repeat: There are now no problems at Costco -- except the standing in line, perhaps.

MacInTouch Amazon link...

Talk to MacInTouch     Support  •  Find/Go