Jun. 20, 2009
Feb. 17, 2010
Feb. 20, 2010
Feb. 22, 2010
Jul. 10, 2012
Jan. 17, 2009

item.85491

MacInTouch Reader

I was doing the web check in for a friend, who didn't have access to a printer. The US Airways site said that their site was compatible with IE, Firefox, and Safari 3.0.

So, silly me, I proceeded to do the web check-in to print his boarding passes. No matter what I did, the boarding passes would not print correctly. When I went to figure out why, I then found their message that (paraphrasing), "Using any browser other than IE 7 could result in boarding passess not printing out correctly."

After some choice swear-words, being the luddite that I am, I fired up my copy of Virtual PC 5.0 (on my Pismo G4, no less), and printed the boarding passes out (correctly) in IE 5.x running Windows 2000.

Does it really have to be this way? Yet another reason to avoid US Airways...

Jan. 19, 2009

item.85540

MacInTouch Reader

Re: US Airways and Web Check In

Worked fine for me on an old G4/733 w/ latest Safari and 10.4 updates when I went to NYC for New Year's.

Also recently used our Mac Mini 1.83GHz C2D in Safari and 10.5.6 to check in and print boarding passes for us last weekend on US Airways.

Maybe a printer issue? Or something else other than Mac marginalization?

item.85565

Antonio Tejada

An anonymous reader complained about US Airways' warning about browser compatibility for boarding passes.

I guess he stopped at the warning and didn't bother to actually try, because they work fine. The default text size they use is kinda small, but if you just increase the text size in Safari by one step, it's perfect. I just flew with US Airways 2 weeks ago and I printed my boarding passes from Safari.

item.85581

Mitch Haile

For the last 2 years, I've mostly flown US Airways; over 100,000 miles on them and other airlines in that time.

Never had problems checking in with a Mac on the web to print a boarding pass. It's been about 3 weeks since I did this, so maybe it's changed...

I mostly use Firefox.

Jun. 17, 2009

item.94221

Al Hatch

A relatively new travel points site that offers to book miles on a variety of airlines, Aeroplan puts this warning on its front page:

Important Information for Mac Users
Currently, more than 90% of our members access our website using the Windows operating system and a recent version of the Internet Explorer browser. Aeroplan.com was designed with this fact in mind. Aeroplan intends to introduce enhancements to aeroplan.com that, once implemented, will fully support all standards-compliant Internet browsers, regardless of your computer's operating system.

They finish by suggesting that, if you experience a problem with Safari, you might try their 800 number instead of the Internet.

Jun. 18, 2009

item.94288

Ken Greenwood

Aeroplan says Currently more than 90% of our members access our website using the Windows operating system and a recent version of IE

Market Share says IE 65.5% and falling, Safari 8.4% and growing and Firefox 22.5% and growing.
Also they count OS as follows, Windows 87.75% and falling and OSX 9.81% and growing effective May 2009. Sure doesn't agree with their numbers! I had occasion to call them 2 weeks ago. As soon as they found out I had a Mac and was using Safari, all investigation of the problem ceased with the recommendation that I have a friend with IE and Windows get the information for me. I told her I didn't have any friends that used a PC.

item.94315

Tracy Valleau

Re: websites designed for Windows only...

I always wonder what the boss of the company would say when the marketing manager says "Oh, let's just discard 10-15% of our market and only go after the rest."

Personally, I'd fire him.

item.94360

Geoff McBeath

Al Hatch said:

"A relatively new travel points site that offers to book miles on a variety of airlines, Aeroplan puts this warning on its front page...."

Aeroplan isn't new, it's been around for decades. It was Air Canada's points program, then spun off to be a separate company. More importantly though, the warning about Mac browsers no longer seems to be an issue. I ran into problems on Aeroplan several years ago, but more recently I have successfully used Safari making flight bookings. Firefox has always worked.

Jun. 19, 2009

item.94409

Gregory Weston

Tracy Valleau says:

Re: websites designed for Windows only... I always wonder what the boss of the company would say when the marketing manager says "Oh, let's just discard 10-15% of our market and only go after the rest." Personally, I'd fire him.

Without even looking at whether the increased revenue is likely to exceed the increased costs?

item.94424

David Bogart

Al Hatch said:

"A relatively new travel points site that offers to book miles on a variety of airlines, Aeroplan puts this warning on its front page...."

Aeroplan works fine for me in Safari 4, under Leopard.

I haven't seen that warning message on their site for several years.

Jun. 20, 2009

item.94536

David Weatherston

Aeroplan was rather slow at getting on board with Macs and their site still works better with Firefox than Safari (tho' I confess I've not tried it with 4). Of course, I'm talking basic functionality. The pages where reward options are introduced through the intercession of nude Cirque du Soleil acrobats are still only available to those using Internet Explorer. A Montreal IP address will bring up even more interesting, not to say captivating, routines (elsewhere a parental advisory might appear, but c'est un ville joyeux, hein?).

Aeroplan has been around since 1984 (y'know, from that frozen wasteland to the north where everyone drives dogsleds?). It may be a novelty to some MacInTouch readers but not to all of us.

item.94546

David B.

The Aeroplan site warning shows up for me (Leopard, Safari 4) at the bottom of the "Use Your Miles" page (http://www.aeroplan.com/adr/use_your_miles.do).

Actually, they call it a "note to Macintosh users."

Feb. 17, 2010

item.109754

Rod Allen

Astonishingly, I have found that the housing site for the National Association of Broadcasters convention, due to be held in Las Vegas in April, requires Internet Explorer to work! This is a community that is increasingly turning to Macs for the benefits of Final Cut Pro, and parts of which have always been Mac users. I complained to the site but got a stock reponse from Chantelle Andrews, who is called the Special Services Coordinator, at nabhousing@expovision.com, saying:
'Unfortunately, our website does not support Safari. Please utilize Internet Explorer'.

I hope Mac-using editors, producers and broadcasters will make their views known.

Feb. 20, 2010

item.109913

MacInTouch Reader

JetBlue recently got a new reservation system. I was unable to print a complete boarding pass with either Safari or FireFox, the right edge got cut off. The part one takes on board had no seat number. Anyone else notice this?

Feb. 22, 2010

item.109998

Gary Devoe

Re: Printing Jetblue boarding passes, I experienced the same thing last week, so I changed Page Setup to Landscape instead of Portrait. Got the entire boarding pass in Supersize!

Jul. 10, 2012

item.159819

MacInTouch Reader

Recently stayed at Lindemann's Hotel in Berlin, Germany, where they (aspire to) charge 5 Euro [about $6.16] per day, per device, for wifi access, or 10 Euro [$12.32] for 3 days.

Every five to ten minutes, there would be a connection hiccup, and I would be treated to a momentary glimpse of the Apple homepage. This happened on both the iPhone 4S and new iPad, making it impractical to use Skype, for example.

Over several days, various different staff members claimed this was, to paraphrase, "a problem exclusive to users of Apple devices". They allegedly had a call in to their IT guru, but the situation never seemed to improve. In fairness, they did seriously reduce the charge at checkout to a token amount, but, having previously stayed elsewhere in the same city without experiencing connectivity issues, this seems like a hotel to be avoided by those of us relying on Macs/iPhones/iPads, etc.

MacInTouch Amazon link...

Talk to MacInTouch     Support  •  Find/Go