Jan. 21, 2010
Jan. 23, 2010
Jan. 25, 2010
May. 18, 2012
May. 6, 2013
Jan. 26, 2009

item.85977

Jennifer Cluse

I've put this up as a Question, but it may well be a tip. Certainly a confirmation that I've got it a little right would be useful.

My brother with sight and co-ordination difficulties, on a standard Windows set-up, has trouble cutting and pasting links I send him from Mac 10.4.11/Eudora 6.4

Those links are not recognised as links by his email client (OE almost certainly - he's 1,500 klicks away, and a bit unsure. . . ) "I can't do things that aren't blue" is his complaint, and won't open in IE at a double-click. He's not stupid incidently, just not very computer literate. Nor does he want to be. Fair enough.

I fired up Sun's marvellous VirtualBox and sent my email to me in Windows, then to Sun's Solaris, then to Ubuntu. All but Win handled the link properly. Windows OE and IE would just not handle it at all. Finally I thought to drop the copy-pasted URL from OE into Firefox in Windows - bingo - there's an invisible character tacked onto the end of the URL!

My presumption is that this is being done in Windows by Windows for some reason. Surely not deliberately? That would force people to use Windows, surely? <gasp>. Can anyone confirm? Or comment?

(Apologies if this had been 'done' before. If it has been done, I couldn't winnow an answer from the quintzillions of returns to a 'URL recognition problem OE IE', or similar, query.)

(& p.s. Happy twenty fifth birthday little Mac! - I fired mine up for old time's sake. It's still sweet.)

item.86036

DV Henkel-Wallace

Jennifer Cluse is being faked out: the Mac's Mail.app (and certain other programs) look for text that looks like a URL (e.g. web address) and "make such text blue". Her brother's mail client doesn't do this extra work for him.

She can make her links actual links manually. When composing the message, select the text you want to be a link, control-click (or right click) on the selection and use "Link > Add" Then paste the text of the URL into the box.

The upside of this tedious process is that you can make any text a clickable link.

item.86041

Ed Savage

Re: Jennifer Cluse and her brother's link problem.

This sounds like the known OSX Mail and hyper-link truncation issue:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20070112124954101

-and-

http://danwarne.com/the-campaign-to-convince-apple-to-fix-its-annoying-apple-mail-url-breakage-bug/

If it is, I've learned to simply use TinyURL for long links (unless Apple fixed this in Leopard), or use my web gmail account to send links out.

Jan. 28, 2009

item.86148

Jennifer Cluse

Thank you both, DV & Ed Wallace, for your thoughts.

Unfortunately neither suggestion fits the problem. My links do not originate in Apple's Mail, (I avoid it) instead from Eudora, as mentioned. As well, although I didn't mention it, my link was short, sharp & snappy.

Also, as I mentioned, all other email clients, in both Mac & Win, recognize the text as a URL and present it as such. Only IE and OE running in Windows seem to not do so.

Thanks DV H-W for the tip on turning any text into a URL. I had many times wondered how it was done. The tip does does work (or appears as if it will) in Apple's Mail, but does not work in any other email client that I have (i.e. Eudora 6.4, Eudora 8, Opera 9.6, or Sea Monkey.) FWIW.

I'll need some spare time to trial a forced URL entry via Mail for what is a validly written URL, and see whether Windows and/or IE &/or OE mangle(s) that set-up, or not.

So I am still wondering what the source of that invisible character is, the one that appears when received by IE or OE. More investigation coming up.

Jan. 29, 2009

item.86212

Steven Wicinski

Jennifer, don't discount that Eudora is adding the character, and it is just confusing OE (IE isn't involved in any of this I wouldn't think, since OE isn't even making the hyperlink). I've not heard this complaint before, and I'm sure that you would if it was Outlook express not setting up hyperlinks in the mail window.

As a test, send yourself an email from another mail client, or from a web form, and see if the character is added and whether the link displays as expected or not.

Jan. 19, 2010

item.107877

MacInTouch Reader

Has anyone out there been able to print coupons using the coupon printer software that is supplied by Coupons.com ?

Have tried printing from both Safari and Firefox and in each case it simply sends me back to the web page to download the software. Software is already installed and system has even been restarted a few times since the install.

Trying this on an iMac running 10.6 with all current updates applied.

Jan. 20, 2010

item.107908

Robert van Lier

Coupons.com works for me on a MacBook Pro, although I have had problems in the past with it doing the same things your reader describes. I never found out why it didn't work; I think it just took a new OS installation. When it prints it avoids any standard print dialog box and installs cookies (5) to make sure you don't print multiple copies, but that means you can't choose anything other than your default printer.

item.107918

Adam Newman

For the occasional site that doesn't allow "easy" Mac printing, I usually just cntl-click and choose something like "print frame" then do a save as pdf... and then print the pdf. A pain to be sure, but at least it's an optional work-around. Not sure if that will work for the specific site you mention, but a good option usually...

YMMV...

item.107920

Marc Pennau

I have also had difficulties using Coupons.com. (iMac & MacBook Pro, 10.5.x and 10.6). Nothing prints even though the software has been installed. I tried this a while back with a Disney Coupon for a DVD to Blu-Ray upgrade. No dice. What makes matters worse, is the software thinks the coupon printed, so it doesn't allow you to try printing it again!

After several emails to their technical support, they sent me a link to download a stand-alone version of their coupon printing software... a Windows .exe installer. Several more emails resulted in them mailing me a hardcopy of the coupon (which was already expired when I received it). Worthless.

item.107921

MacInTouch Reader

Re: Problems with Coupons.com software.

In order for the software to work, both Java and JavaScript must be enabled, you can't block pop-ups, and your printer must be on before you start; otherwise it will just send you back to the start.

item.107929

MacInTouch Reader

re: Coupons.com - nope, I have the same problem on 2 different systems, but both are running 10.6.2.

item.107930

Todd Bangerter

Re: Coupons.com

Yes, I've successfully printed coupons with their software from their site several times in the past few months. I've done it on 4 different Macs to 2 different printers, although none of the Macs are running Snow Leopard. They're running either Leopard or Tiger.

Jan. 21, 2010

item.107974

Bill Martin

Adam Newman wrote:

For the occasional site that doesn't allow "easy" Mac printing, I usually just cntl-click and choose something like "print frame" then do a save as pdf..

Cntl-Click on what?

I don't find any way to choose Print Frame. Where is that?

Jan. 23, 2010

item.108129

Herbie hollar

Control or right click anywhere in a browser window and you will see Print Screen or Print Frame in the pop up menu. Depends on if you are in a frame or not.

Jan. 25, 2010

item.108224

Christopher Baier

I just went to Coupons.com (first time user). I am running Snow Leopard (10.6.2), Safari with BlockPop-Up Windows On. I selected some coupons, downloaded the coupon printing app, turned on my printer and the coupons printed.

For a little while it seemed like nothing was happening. I didn't even see the Printer icon appear in my dock, as I usually do when I print something.

The Control-Click Print Frame option won't work because the actual coupons never appear on-screen. They are generated in the background and sent to the printer.

Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing the Coupon Printer plug-in? There is an uninstaller included in the download of the installer. The version I have is 1.1.2. When I inspect the installation package, there are files called 10_5.pkg and 10_6.pkg, so these might be the Mac OS versions it supports.

May. 18, 2012

item.157486

Jerry Levine

Our company has mostly PCs, but there are a handful of Mac stalwarts. Corporate's latest attempt to secure the network from Internet-based malware is to install Invincea (TM), which runs a browser in a virtual machine so that the real PC is isolated. As you might guess, there is no Mac version, and it doesn't run within a virtual PC. All other external traffic will be filtered out, thus cutting off Mac users completely from the Internet. (Arguments about the relative safety of the Mac fall on deaf ears.)

Does anyone know of a comparable product for the Mac?

Thanks.

May. 6, 2013

item.173493

Daniel Albaugh

To Dick Sommers request for a replacement for TechTracker, MacUpdate.com is a great service. They have had the same service inlace that TechTracker is moving to for some years now and works great. Check it out. I've used the service for several years now.

item.173499

MacInTouch Reader

I've paid for MacUpdate service for a few years now, starting shortly after VersionTracker went to CNet. In my opinion, the amount of spam MU sends is quite small, almost entirely configurable, occasionally of interest, and the time saved by the service is far outweighed (so far!) by any inconvenience. Especially if you've got multiple Macs to maintain, MU is well worth the price.

item.173500

MacInTouch Reader

Try Bodega

http://www.appbodega.com/

for keeping your apps up to date.

item.173506

Michelle Steiner

Of course, with software obtained through the Mac App Store, and with all system software, it's all built in. Only those products obtained elsewhere need a tracker. Personally I find that notifications of updates in macintouch.com and similar websites suffice.

item.173508

Ronald Shudnow

MacKeeper has an update tracker which is excellent and will do all that you need to keep your apps up to date. Look under Optimization: Select Update Tracker. Here is a link to purchase the utility.

http://mackeeper.zeobit.com/buy-now?

Quoting from the app: "What is Update Tracker? Update Tracker makes sure that your applications are working properly by checking each app installed on your Mac for a new version available. All applications are marked as up to Date (green) and Out of Date (red). To update any out of date app, Click Update."

I find it works well.

[Before getting involved with MacKeeper, folks might want to review some earlier Mackeeper experiences. -MacInTouch]

item.173517

Don Gillespie

"Sure, MacUpdate.com will be happy to charge you for that service."

MacUpdate is an excellent service, and $20 a year is well worth it. I have been using it successfully for many years. I have not noticed much "hawking" of other software. The app, MacUpdate Desktop, is a well-designed, reliable tool that I use very regularly to keep my stuff up to date.

My first choice of update sync software was TechTracker (used to be Version Tracker). As noted, when it was bought by CNET it went south and poor. I happily dropped it in favor of MacUpdate. Let's hope that CNET, or somebody like them, doesn't try to buy out MacUpdate and kick them to the curb like CNET did with Mac Version Tracker.

item.173454

Dick Sommers

I was very disappointed when I went to update my software and saw the following announcement:

TechTracker service will end on May 31st!

TechTracker is becoming a more integral part of Download.com, and we're changing the name to the Download App to reflect that. TechTracker features will now work within a standalone application that users can install on their Windows computer. TechTracker support and development will end on May 31st, 2013. Download.com will no longer provide a Mac version of the software update service. You can try out the new Download App for Windows now by downloading it here: http://download.cnet.com/download-app/

CNET and Download.com would like to thank you for using the service over the years. We hope that you have found it useful, and will continue to work to provide valuable products and services to you.

(Note that the replacement forTechTracker only works under Windows.)

I have used this software maintenance tool for many years since it was released by MacFixIt. CNET redesigned the tool and its reliability has varied greatly. (Presently, the download function does not work on my iMac.)

Is anyone aware of another tool that will catalog the software on a Mac and notify you when updates are released? (I try to read the list of updates on MacInTouch daily. But it is easy to miss entries)

item.173477

Gil Palen

Sure, MacUpdate.com will be happy to charge you for that service. Once you're signed up, they'll hawk all kinds of deals at you. Make lots of room for your email in-box!...

item.173481

Kevin Lepard

Dick Sommers asks about a replacement for TechTracker. The best replacement I'm aware of is AppFresh
  http://metaquark.de/appfresh/mac

It is not without its quirks, but it is the best alternative I'm aware of.

HTH

item.173482

MacInTouch Reader

For Mac updates I use www.macupdate.com

item.173484

MacInTouch Reader

As part of this discussion, I used to use and love VersionTracker, then it was acquired by CNET and went downhill fast.

I use and recommend MacUpdate.com for all needs. Their MacUpdate Desktop program will do what you want. MacUpdate is so much better than VersionTracker ever was.

item.173485

MacInTouch Reader

To answer Dick Sommers regarding a replacement for the soon-to-be-discontinued TechTracker service:

Yes! There is Macupdate Desktop. It can be found here:

http://www.macupdate.com/desktop

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Macupdate, and I have not actually used Macupdate Desktop. I am, however, a very satisfied user of macupdate.com for manually downloading updates, as that is my preference.

I switched to macupdate.com when CNET acquired the formerly-great versiontracker site, and then CNET-ified it.

My experience with Macupdate.com is top-notch, and I can't imagine Macupdate Desktop being anything less than awesome.

Hope this helps!

item.173488

Pat Storr

Regarding keeping up with application updates, App Update widget works fairly well:

http://gkaindl.com/software/app-update

item.173489

Richard Ripley

How about MacUpdate? Here's a link:
http://www.macupdate.com

MacInTouch Amazon link...

Talk to MacInTouch     Support  •  Find/Go