Jun. 16, 2011
Jun. 17, 2011
Jun. 18, 2011
Jun. 20, 2011
Oct. 5, 2011
Jun. 6, 2011

item.136066

Bill Schwartz

I have found that my Eye One is making very bad display profiles now for some reason on both my Mac Pro and my MacBook Pro. On the MacPro Apple Cinema Display, the profiles now create obviously wrong color. On the MacBook Pro it's absolutely garish (orange UI, etc.). I'm thinking maybe a hardware failure of the calibrator? Or could it be the latest version of the Eye One software I just installed on both machines? I may have to figure out a way to downgrade the software if no other good ideas come up for solving this.

Jun. 7, 2011

item.136117

Kevin Schumacher

I have an X-Rite Eye1Display2 that's part of the HP Advanced Profiling Solution kit designed specifically for HP's Dreamcolor monitor (LP 2480zx), and it's creating profiles with a slight cyan/blue color cast.

The Dreamcolor monitor is rather unique, in that it stores the results of the calibration in the monitor itself, meaning after calibration you can attach it to any computer (Mac or PC) and recall any of the calibrated colorspaces for immediate use, without relying on a system profile (on a Mac, that'd be a Colorsync profile).

My setup: Mac Pro Nehalem, 1-Dreamcolor & 1-Dell 24" monitor(s), all updates on Snow Leopard applied.

I'll be contacting HP...

item.136119

Anthony Reimer

Could Bill Schwartz provide more information about his colour calibration setup - Mac OS version, Eye-One Match software version? We have about 25 Macs that we calibrate with Eye-One (in a lab situation) and we are not experiencing any problems like he describes. (Most were last calibrated under 10.6.5 using Eye-One Match 3.6.3.)

item.136121

John Lehet

I just used my Eye-One Match with 3.6.3 software last week, to good effect, with 10.6.7, a MacBook Pro and a Cinema Display. So it should work. One note on the Eye-One though -- the software is all PPC. Either they're going to have to rewrite it, we're going to have to hold off on Lion, or we'll be in the market for a new colorimeter.

item.136130

Andrew Miller

I've also suddenly run into a problem with my Eye One Display 2 calibrator. I get to the end of the calibration and see an error meesage indicating

"The profile check resulted in some deviations. If you decide to continue please test the profile before you use it in production. Continue anyway?"

The resulting profile is completely unusable. I have run their diagnostic tool (available for d/l on their site) and it appears that the device itself is working correctly.

I've contacted their support people - but I've seen no results yet. I had been using the current software version to make accurate profiles, and so I suspect this is related to an OS update or perhaps a new driver I may have installed (HP Printer?).

Jun. 8, 2011

item.136297

Bill Schwartz

Andrew Miller writes,

I've also suddenly run into a problem with my Eye One Display 2 calibrator. I get to the end of the calibration and see an error meesage indicating 'The profile check resulted in some deviations. If you decide to continue please test the profile before you use it in production. Continue anyway?'
The resulting profile is completely unusable.

This is exactly what happened to me, on two different machines. Hearing Andrew's experience, I now suspect it is a software conflict or problem of some type and not a failed calibrator. Please report back, Andrew, when you hear from Eye One support.

Anthony Reimer writes,

Could Bill Schwartz provide more information about his colour calibration setup - Mac OS version, Eye-One Match software version?

Mac Pro: 10.6.6
MacBook Pro: 10.6.7
Eye One: 3.6.3

Jun. 11, 2011

item.136330

Brian MacDougall

There is a new version available from X-Rite. It is called iProfiler and supersedes Eye-One Match and Eye-One Share. It is free for i1 users and runs natively on Intel machines. The Eye-One serves as the dongle and allows monitor calibration, simple RGB printer profiling, and color sampling; the full upgrade ($895!) allows CMYK and 8-channel profiling and supersedes ProfileMaker. X-Rite, in their profoundly muddled marketing abilities (Eye-One, i1, iOne), hasn't been really advertising this. So far, the free version has been working pretty well for me. I'd give it a try.

Jun. 13, 2011

item.136665

Bill Schwartz

I tried the i1Profiler software suggested by Brian MacDougall. It won't recognize my Eye One Display2 calibrator. I've tried all of the troubleshooting steps on the XRite website. I e-mailed their support for help.

item.136704

Bill Schwartz

According to XRite tech support, "The i1Display2 is only supported on the i1Match software." So apparently i1Profiler can't be used with it. They claim a hardware problem is the likely cause of my bad profiles with i1Match, but I'm not so sure since at least one other person here saw the exact same problem as I did.

Jun. 14, 2011

item.136731

Shawn Anderson

Bill Schwartz might want to check to see if he gets any better results from ColorEyes Display Pro from www.integrated-color.com

I've used it with the now discontinued XRite DTP 94 colorimeter and gotten good results. It has a fully functional 10-day demo and the Eye-One Display2 is supported so you could see if the problem with your display profiles is related to hardware or the Eye-One software.

item.136732

Ronald Lebel

Okay, so if I want to buy a monitor color calibrator, it sounds like I should avoid X-Rite. Can anyone recommend a calibrator that has Intel support?

item.136745

Harold Zeh

The Eye-one i1 calibrator instrument I have was made before XRite acquired GretagMacbeth (part number 36.72.45.) It is the one sold just before the release of the i1 Display2. XRite's new iProfiler software works fine with it. Seems a newer calibrator device should also.

Anyone have a positive experience with iProfiler using the i1 Display2? Perhaps Bill Schwartz's original thought of a software conflict could be the case as his dongle also would not work with Eye-one Match software - if in fact the instrument is working properly. Try it on a new administrator account that has no third party stuff running?

item.136755

Christopher Moss

My X-Rite i1 Match isn't recognised by iProfiler, which asks for an i1 Match Pro. Seems the hardware and software I bought a year ago for calibrating my screen isn't going to work anymore....

item.136760

MacInTouch Reader

I note my old Spyder calibration software is PowerPC. Can anyone confirm whether the Spyder3Elite software is Universal or Intel? I've written to the company but am still awaiting a reply.

item.136804

Warren Eig

The Spyder3Elite is Intel Universal. I use it very successfully in my studio.

item.136805

Tracy Valleau

Spyder3Elite is a universal app.

Jun. 15, 2011

item.136786

Bill Schwartz

Shawn Anderson writes:

Bill Schwartz might want to check to see if he gets any better results from ColorEyes Display Pro from www.integrated-color.com

Great idea, but the $175 price makes me hesitate a bit!

Harold Zeh writes:

The Eye-one i1 calibrator instrument I have was made before XRite acquired GretagMacbeth (part number 36.72.45.) It is the one sold just before the release of the i1 Display2. XRite's new iProfiler software works fine with it. Seems a newer calibrator device should also.

Ah, too bad, mine does say Eye One Display 2, but it's an earlier part number (35.54.30). I couldn't get it to work and support told me it wouldn't work.

Still waiting to hear back from support about getting Eye One Match to produce decent profiles. I will ask them if they are going to do anything to support Lion users with an Intel native solution.

item.136793

Robert Mohns

Ronald Lebel writes:

"Okay, so if I want to buy a monitor color calibrator, it sounds like I should avoid X-Rite. Can anyone recommend a calibrator that has Intel support?"

I use the Spyder 3 Pro. Works great. Helps keep my cheap-but-lousy Dell SP2309 from drifting too badly.

MacInTouch Reader asks:

"I note my old Spyder calibration software is PowerPC. Can anyone confirm whether the Spyder3Elite software is Universal or Intel? I've written to the company but am still awaiting a reply."

I just checked and it's Universal.

item.136808

James Cutler

MacInTouch Reader said,

"I note my old Spyder calibration software is PowerPC. Can anyone confirm whether the Spyder3Elite software is Universal or Intel?"

GetInfo on Spyder3Elite.app says "Universal".

item.136819

Bob Peters

I originally used the i1 Display from X-Rite and their Match3 software package. Then, the i1 Display was discontinued and it appeared that the software was not going to be upgraded for native Intel execution.

Recently, I purchased a Spyder3 and ColorEyes Pro (http://www.integrated-color.com/cedpro/coloreyesdisplay.html) software and am very pleased with the results. I've used this combination with a Mac Pro, MacBook Pro and MacBook Air (late 2010).

item.136834

MacInTouch Reader

The Spyder3Elite software is Universal. Be aware that DataColor has chosen to make this software require an internet connection for initial registration, but all subsequent uses of the program will not phone-home. You should have the opportunity to copy over .plist preferences & Application Support files directly related to the Spyder3Elite/DataColor software so you can calibrate other monitors on other personal Macs without jumping through the registration process needlessly again.

item.136835

Harold Merklinger

My copy of Spyder 3 Elite (monitor calibration software) is "Universal", although Spyder 3 Pro is PPC code.

item.136843

John MacKay

re:

"My X-Rite i1 Match isn't recognised by iProfiler, which asks for an i1 Match Pro. Seems the hardware and software I bought a year ago for calibrating my screen isn't going to work anymore.... This is confusing. i1Match is software. I am not aware of device called "X-Rite i1 Match".

My very old i1 device works very well with the i1 Profiler software, although it took a while for the user :) to get it sorted out.

There are two different upgrades for i1Profiler depending on the i1 device. Perhaps a mismatch on devices and upgrades?

With respect to the Eye 2 mentioned in one comment, that is a colorimeter, not a photospectrometer. Also, is it derived from a Monaco device? There is a different upgrade for them.

item.136848

Bruce McLaughlin

Brian MacDougall said:

"It is called iProfiler and supersedes Eye-One Match and Eye-One Share. It is free for i1 users and runs natively on Intel machines."

There seem to be two flaws with this statement.

Flaw 1: What I see on X-Rite's site is something called i1Profiler, not iProfiler. The software is part of the i1Publish software suite described here:

http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=1470

As far as downloads go, There is an i1Profiler download here:

http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?Action=support&ID=1397

Flaw 2: This software works for some i1 devices but not all of them. I downloaded and installed this program on my Mac. It did not recognize my i1 Display 2. The i1Profiler software told me it was looking for an i1Pro. I believe that i1Profiler will not recognize any i1 device that is less expensive than an i1 Pro.

Summing up, at the moment it seems like X-Rite does not have any OS X Lion compatible software available for several of it's own products, both past and present. The i1Display 2 and the i1Display LT fall into this category.

Jun. 16, 2011

item.136867

Charles Martorelli

I have a xrite optix color calibrator (x rite dp92) which I had been using with Monico optix software. It is not Lion compatible. I have switched to the open source dispcalGUI which is intel native and I am very happy with the results.
http://hoech.net/dispcalGUI/

item.136880

Harold Zeh

Concerning the i1Profiler software from XRite. When doing the installation, there were four check boxes. Two, the essential parts, were grayed and only the i1Profiler application was checked. The other two option boxes I unchecked; ColorChecker Passport and PANTONE Color Manager, as I figured these to be part of the suit (Pro?) I did not have access to.

Perhaps if those items get installed, the program launches into Pro mode(?) and can not find a licensed device?? Just a shoot from the hip thought and may be completely wrong.

A possible work-around if you have Windows on bootcamp (or a PC,) there is a PC version of the Eye-One Match 3. A profile could be created in that space. I'm fairly sure .icc is workable on both Mac and PC. and it could be moved over to the OSX side. I'll never really know, as I do not have a Windows machine.

One good thing about the LCD monitors is that they have very little drift. Literally months go by between calibrations, whereas in the CRT days, it was often a daily routine.

I was curious about the mentioned ColorEyes Display Pro solution and was not put off so much by the price of $175, they are a small concern and need to be viable, but put off more by all the information they required to get a download link for the trial. Why would they need physical address and such? Too much, I jumped out.

item.136895

Fred Kotler

Re: Harold Merklinger

My copy of Spyder3Pro v4.0.2-1 is universal so should run fine under Lion.

item.136923

Mark Rosen

Here is a response i got from Xrite:

Good morning Mark,
I've reviewed your recent request for support.

I see that you are currently using an i1Display2 with our i1Match 3.6.3 software. This software version is correct for use on 10.5 and 10.6, provided you run Rosetta. We believe that the upcoming version of the Mac OS 10.7 (Lion) will not support the use of Rosetta, so if that proves to be true, we would not recommend you use Lion on a Mac on which you wish to use i1Match software.

We will not finalize any plans for support of a new operating system until that system actually ships and we can begin final testing on the actual release version. So until Lion actually ships I can't give you a final answer, but for the time being, please remain on 10.6 if you wish to continue using your i1Display2 colorimeter.

I hope that this is helpful information.
Thanks,
Bruce

Jun. 17, 2011

item.136930

David Blanchard

re:

...The Spyder3Elite is Intel Universal. I use it very successfully in my studio...

But will this version of the software work with the Spyder2Pro hardware? Information on the DataColor web site suggests it won't. If that is the case, the older Spyder2Pro will not be Lion-compatible.

item.136952

Mark Rosen

I wonder if will they will discontinue the lower end i1Display2 and focus on the Color Munki - more expensive but technically a different and better product. Be nice if they had an trade in/upgrade path. It's anybody's guess.

Jun. 18, 2011

item.137023

Tracy Valleau

David Blanchard asks if the (version 3) software will work with the Spyder2Pro hardware...

Been there; done that - no: it won't work.

item.137068

James Wages

I purchased a Pantone Huey Pro Display calibrator a couple years ago. I used it once on my iMac 24" 3.06GHz Core Duo, and it worked perfectly. Then a month later, I tried to use it again on my iMac and I got a blue color cast. I went through a lot of hassles with Pantone customer support and they finally shipped me out a new one. But before they did that, I read a lot online about how Pantone had a bad batch of calibrators, and it was important to get the newest batch. I told Pantone about that and demanded that I get the absolute latest version, and I asked that they test it before shipping it to absolutely insure the replacement would work.

After several weeks of waiting, the replacement arrived. I used it once and it worked perfectly fine. But when I used it again, I got a color cast.

I never contacted Pantone again because it was too much trouble. And for all I know I might have gotten a 3rd bad one. All said and done, I lost all my money on that wicked product. I absolutely refuse to buy another calibrator ever again.

No doubt dozens of people will come after me, posting success stories. But that doesn't magically make my situation any better. So with regard to calibrators, buyer beware. You could end up just like me.

Jun. 20, 2011

item.137086

David Zatz

James Wages talked about blue casts on his Pantone calibrator. I had the same problem with two units, original and warranty replacement, and while the people were nice I got my money back. The Spyder (Datacolor) people have *not* had this problem, so calibrators are not necessarily the issue. I do wish we could have more of a post-measurement intervention -- not unlike Photoshop's auto colors, there are times I like the effect but "not so much of it."

item.137117

David Blanchard

Tracy Valleau responded to my earlier query:

...David Blanchard asks if the (version 3) software will work with the Spyder2Pro hardware...Been there; done that - no: it won't work...

Thanks for the hands-on experience and report.

item.137173

Christopher Moss

i1Profiler didn't work with my X-Rite Display LT, so I tried the open source dispcalGUI and the Argyll CMS binaries, and it seems to work very nicely.

Oct. 5, 2011

item.144591

Bruce McLaughlin

For i1 Display 2 and i1 Display LT owners, Xrite has released software that works with Lion. It is called i1Profiler
D2LionEdition. It says that it requires 10.7 with the latest updates, but it worked for me on my iMac running 10.6.8. Here is the link I was sent from Xrite.

http://www.xrite.com/custom_page.aspx?PageID=284

MacInTouch Amazon link...

Talk to MacInTouch     Support  •  Find/Go