MacInTouch Reader Reports

Photography: Experiences

Dec. 12, 2012
Dec. 13, 2012
Dec. 14, 2012
Dec. 12, 2012

item.167646

Ken Spencer

I just bought a new Sony RX100 camera. The RAW (or ".ARW") files will not open in Aperture v. 3.2.4, or in Adobe Bridge v. 4.0.5.11. I have downloaded the Sony "Image Data Converter v. 4" software, so at least I can work with the images, but this puts a kink in my workflow. Aperture is up to date, but my Photoshop is only CS5. Do I have to get Photoshop 6 in order to work with these files? And why won't Aperture open them? I am usually not out here on the bleeding edge in terms of new cameras, so this is a surprise.

item.167647

Ken Spencer

I decided to try my Aperture v. 3.4.3 on my MB Air, which is at 10.8.2, to try and open the .ARW files from my SONY RX 100. They open just fine. Bummer that I can't update Aperture on the MacBook Pro and the Mac Pro to open these files.

item.167662

Gerry Curry

The latest updates to Adobe Camera RAW and Apple's Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 4.02 both support the RX100. They work flawlessly for me on all my Macs.

Dec. 13, 2012

item.167694

Neil Maller

Ken Spencer Writes:

"I just bought a new Sony RX100 camera. The RAW (or .ARW) files will not open in Aperture v. 3.2.4. ... Aperture is up to date."

The current version of Aperture is 3.4.3, so no, it's not up to date. Apple issued a RAW file converter file for the RX100 a few weeks ago and it works fine.

item.167696

Pete Wilson

I bought a Sony RX100 more or less the day it was available here (because despite not having a viewfinder, the back screen *is* visible in bright daylight). Incidentally, it works very nicely, with very good quality pictures. My most frequent use of it is for interiors at the wide-angle "28mm" equivalent focal length, where the f1.8 lens is a huge win.

But, to the point Lightroom 4 has had support for it for quite a long time.

item.167735

Michael Stur

Ken Spencer writes:

Aperture is up to date, but my Photoshop is only CS5. Do I have to get Photoshop 6 in order to work with these files?

There is an Adobe Camera Raw update for Photoshop CS5. Just use the update menu under "Help" ...

item.167736

Derrick Bass

Neil Maller writes:

"Apple issued a RAW file converter file for the RX100 a few weeks ago and it works fine."

Seems not too stable to me. I just took my RX100 on a trip and iPhoto would often crash (it would import maybe 50-200 RAW files from the card and then crash).

When restarted, iPhoto detected the partially imported files in the library and offered to reimport them, although I also ended up with a lot of JPEG versions of the those RAW files which I had to manually delete. Several times the library had "inconsistencies" that needed to be repaired before iPhoto would continue. I've been left with some lasting damage... a lot of the RAW files don't have EXIF metadata in iPhoto (the files themselves seem to be fine), and rebuilding the library has not fixed that issue.

Dec. 14, 2012

item.167737

Michael Saletnik

The other thing, and I thought this was posted here but I don't see it in this discussion, is that if you import an unsupported RAW file then apply to your Mac the upgrade that will support that format, the file will continue to show in Aperture as unsupported unless you right (Control)-click the project in the library and choose "Reprocess originals".

MacInTouch Amazon link...

Talk to MacInTouch     Support  •  Find/Go