Sep. 30, 2009
Oct. 1, 2009
Nov. 10, 2009
Nov. 11, 2009

Newer entries...
Sep. 11, 2009

item.100046

Michelle Steiner

Dockstar (a mail.app extension to customize display of number of messages on the dock, and in the menu bar) version 2.1.3 became compatible with Leopard 10.6 and mail 4.0; earlier versions are not. With the upgrade to Leopard 10.6.1 and mail 4.1, Dockstar 2.1.3 is no longer compatible.

item.100048

William Alworth

Mail is still broken for POP on Gmail. I decided to see if my earlier bad experience with setting up mail in SL was fixed by 10.6.1. Nope, no deal. I wiped out the Mail folder in ~/Library, com.apple.mail preference and the Mail folder in ~/Application Support to simulate a fresh setup. Again the same problem. The first screen comes up pre-filled with your name, I filled in my email address and password, clicked continue and it automatically tried to set up for IMAP and failed. What's the problem here Apple? It worked great in Leopard! Ah well, back to manual setup like the old days...

item.100049

MacInTouch Reader

After applying the 10.6.1 update my MacBook Pro restarts and has a startup screen with a progress bar that never finishes before the computer shuts itself off. Looks kind of like a firmware upgrade that has gone wrong but I didn't notice that as part of the upgrade. Sending this from my iPhone as the laptop is DOA. Any ideas?

item.100058

Dan Guliano

Just upgraded to 10.6.1 -- an interesting development. Mail 4.1 now breaks Intego's Personal Antispam 10.5.3. Starting Mail brings up a screen that says Personal Antispam is not compatible with Mail 4.1, and Mail then disables Antispam.

The introduction of 10.6.1 seems to have taken Intego by surprise. They were ahead of the curve with 10.6, but got caught by 10.6.1

item.100071

W. Keith McManus

What is this warning about?

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired.

MacBook 2.1 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - OS 10.6.1

item.100089

Joe M

Got the snow leopard update on MBP 15 ('07), which now shows "service battery" alert

Battery was previously ok

Cycle count is extremely low- only 70

The battery update 1.3 download .dmg will not run;
although it says "this update needs OS 10.4 or newer to run" one would think it would run but it does NOT.

Going to Apple Store on lunch break - will report back

item.100093

Robert Shaye

Even after installing SL 10.6.1 and then downloading and installing the new HP printer drivers, my HP J4680 will not scan on my 24" iMac, using the HP software. It stills scans using the 10.6 workaround, i.e. through Preview or in the Printer Preference Pane.

item.100095

Derek Beatty

If I get info on an alias, and click "Select New Original..." I will see a pane for selecting a file.

I used to be able to drag a file to this pane to establish the new original. Now I cannot. I think this worked in 10.6 but is newly broken in 10.6.1.

item.100098

Dave Atkinson

I installed the Snow Leopard 10.6.1 Update on my first-gen 13" MacBook (Core Duo) yesterday. This morning when I woke it up from sleep, there was a crash report window from Safari awaiting me. I clicked on the Relaunch button, which, according to Apple, would send the crash report directly to Apple. That's the first time I have ever seen that, so I guess we'll see if it is just me or more widespread. As to the newly-released HP Drivers version 2.1, I installed them and read the list of supported printers. As before, there is no mention of support for the Color Laserjet 1500L, and the only support for my HP Officejet 7110 is a Gutenprint driver, which means no scan support.

You know, Greenpeace receives so much press going after Apple for not making "green"-enough products, but what about companies such as HP, where perfectly good peripheral hardware ends up in landfills all due to the lack of updated software? That's the real environmental crime.

item.100108

Marian Petrides, MD

Installed 10.6.1 update downloaded separately from Apple's download site. All appeared well until restart. Now all I get is the spinning pizza of death (boots as far as showing the desktop wallpaper and the dock then goes into SPOD). It's been running like this for several minutes now. I guess I just force a shutdown and restart again. Will report on results of this.

Any other suggestions? TIA

Am sending this from my work PC (yecch!)

item.100111

M Young

W. Keith McManus, the messages means you can relax. Apple has got your back. Read more here:
  Mac OS X 10.5: Disk Utility's Repair Disk Permissions messages that you can safely ignore.

item.100112

MacInTouch Reader

After updating to to 10.6.1, my 23" cinema display no longer powers off when shutting down.

Early 2008 MacPro w/ATI Radeon 2600.

Any idea? Will attempt revert.

item.100113

Tom Fitzgerald

After installing the 10.6.1 update, I am still not able to use my cellphone (CDMA via Sprint) as a modem. Prior to upgrading to Snow Leopard, I had always been able to use this phone as a modem by attaching it to a USB port (on this MacBook and previous models of PowerBooks and iBooks going back to 2005). Is anyone able to use CDMA cellphones in this way with Snow Leopard? And if so, are you connecting via the new WWAN icon on the Menu Bar, or by way of the "Internet Connect" icon?

Sep. 12, 2009

item.100163

Marian Petrides, MD

Followup on my earlier post. Forced restart (using the power on button) solved the problem. Resulting bootup completed just fine and permission repair done immediately thereafter gave only the same sort of "unable to repair" messages reported by Keith McManus above.

I've been using my MBP for the last few hours and have encountered no problem, so it would appear that the forced restart solved the whole problem.

item.100184

Scott Bayes

Marian Petrides, MD writes:

Installed 10.6.1 update downloaded separately from Apple's download site. All appeared well until restart. Now all I get is the spinning pizza of death (boots as far as showing the desktop wallpaper and the dock then goes into SPOD).

This sounds very similar to what I saw on MacBook original 2GB with lots of disk space, except the Dock never visibly started, and on successive restarts/logins sometimes some of the Apps in my Login Items would start, giving me access to System Preferences via the Apple menu, where I was able to disable all my Login Items except the last one (I forget which), which couldn't be disabled, though was able to remove it from the list.

I'm almost certain the Finder was failing to start, don't know why, because the logs were hard to followy, perhaps some errors in the error messages themselves. In any case I also found that my wife's (non-admin) account would log in as expected, indicating something in my account was causing the problem.

Reinstalled from the DVD. No joy.

After 5 hours of deleting Preferences, restarting, etc, I finally gave up, said to myself "let's depressurize with a little surfing, repave the drive tomorrow", restarted and logged in to my own account one last time, and voila! things came up pretty normal-looking to my surprise and relief. Didn't want to log out yet, in case the magic went away, so continued that session, but after a day or two desktop icons started displaying as hash, and some apps started to act squirrely including Xcode and GDB, so I finally rebooted and voila! saw everything work as I expected. Finder started up just fine and all was well. A few days later 6.1 installed without any visible abnormalities.

Wish I could say what fixed it, but I was not able to correlate. My advice would be to force a shutdown or restart and see if it clears up. Try logging into a different account. Repeat the install. Keep trying until too frustrated or the magic happens.

Good luck

item.100192

Charles Jameson

Installing 10.6.1 on my 13" MacBook Pro resulted in problems - upon restart and logging in, I was automatically logged out. The dock and desktop would appear momentarily, with the dock 'frozen' or 'stuck' off-screen. Then a blue screen for a second, before a return to the login screen.

After several attempts, restarts, Disk First Aid and Permissions repair (booting from external HD), still nothing. The login-logout loop continued.

Thankfully, I'd done a full backup to an external HD the night before (using SuperDuper! - recommended), so I was thankfully able to restore the MBP back back to 10.6.

Anyone have any idea why this is problem might be occurring?

Sep. 13, 2009

item.100263

Walt French

An Apple Knowledge Base item (TS1448) lists both as "accurate but can be ignored" disk utility warnings under 10.5. I'm happy to assume also under 10.6.

Sep. 14, 2009

item.100238

John Fallon

To Charles Jameson:

Re: multiple crashes since installing snow leopard

appears to relate to your problem.

item.100259

MacInTouch Reader

re: Robert Shaye's note:

Even after installing SL 10.6.1 and then downloading and installing the new HP printer drivers, my HP J4680 will not scan on my 24" iMac, using the HP software. It stills scans using the 10.6 workaround, i.e. through Preview or in the Printer Preference Pane.

That isn't a workaroud, that's how it works in Snow Leopard. The HP software no longer works (and won't be updated); HP and Apple worked together to build it into Image Capture, Preview and the Printer Preference Pane.

item.100274

Warren Antiola

I have the later 2008 MBP 2.53Ghz model with TechTool Pro 5. I found after updating to 10.6.1 that TPP would eat up almost 92% of my CPU cycle doing backup directory protections at 5min. intervals. I do not even have this option enabled. This would have my MBP fan running more often than usual and the temperature at an average of 88degrees. I went through some troubleshooting and decided to just remove TTP until an update to the software for Snow Leopard. My MBP now runs at a happy 55 degrees with hardly any CPU load from 5 apps open. Anyone run into a similar situation with TechTool Pro?

item.100282

David Morganstein

[I'm] using a very reliable MacBook Pro (Intel) and just upgraded to 10.6.1, I'm finding the WiFi connection to have blackouts, with all apps (email, Safari or Firefox). I have an iPhone and a Wintel laptop on the same network and they show no degradation in connection. The MBP will send/receive data just fine and then suddenly will stop receiving. I'm using IPNetMonitor to show traffic in both directions and suddenly, nothing is sent for several minutes, then it picks up again. The router is a D-Link at 'g' speeds and has been problem free.

Never saw this until I upgraded to Snow Leopard 10.6.1 two days ago.

item.100285

Brad Price

Robert Shaye wrote:

Even after installing SL 10.6.1 and then downloading and installing the new HP printer drivers, my HP J4680 will not scan on my 24" iMac, using the HP software. It stills scans using the 10.6 workaround, i.e. through Preview or in the Printer Preference Pane. "

That is how HP wants it to be. They have officially "retired" their own scanning software with 10.6 and are relying upon Apple Preview & Image Capture to get the job done.

Mac OS: Setting Up and Using the Product in Mac OS X 10.6

At this support page, HP makes this very clear.

item.100288

Benoît Evans

Radio365 desktop player version 1.1.1 (Live365 user client):

After installing Snow Leopard 10.6.1, my Radio365 desktop player version 1.1.1 for Live365 web radio stations began to crash repeatedly, up to 20 times in one hour. Based on a tip on one of the Live365 user forums, I downgraded to the previous version 1.1. That seems to have definitively solved the problem. Live365 tech support is aware of the problem and until fixed, is advising users to try the earlier version.

Sep. 15, 2009

item.100392

Mark Adler

Maybe it's always been this way, but I just noticed it. I ran "Software Update ..." on one machine running 10.6, on which it announced and installed an HP printer driver update. On another machine also running 10.6, that update didn't show up at all. Later a Canon printer driver update showed up on both and I installed it on both.

It then occurred to me that I never used an HP printer with one of the computers, but I used a Canon printer with both. It appears to only update printer drivers for a brand you happen to have used. Which means if I connect to an HP printer with the second computer, it won't have the latest drivers, at least not right away.

item.100409

C. R. Oldham

On Snow Leopard using Microsoft Excel 2008 (12.2.1) I can no longer save Excel files to a Samba mounted share on my Ubuntu 9.04 machine. I get messages like "Microsoft Excel cannot access the file 'share:filestore:31113100'." followed by some unhelpful suggestions. This happens with new files as well as files that I open from the share, change, and then save. This is a royal pain. I even investigated changing to NFS only to discover that uid/gid mapping is not implemented in the Linux kernel-based NFS server.

Other software appears to work fine over the network.

Network operations with the entire Microsoft Office suite over Samba have been very, very unreliable. If I had $600 lying around I'd buy a Mac Mini to use as a file server just to avoid this stuff.

If anyone has a solution to this I'd love to hear it. Thanks.

item.100417

George Hart

I had to restore my SL 10.6.1 disk from Time Machine. When I finished, Mail would not record any passwords. After trying a few things, I downloaded the 10.6.1 update and ran it. Mail worked.

item.100419

Cam Romeril

Hi there,

I'm running OS X 10.6.1 on a MacBook Pro (2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo with 3GB RAM). I keep on getting this error message (this is the start of it anyway) when in the Finder, and inside my Movies folder:

Process: quicklookd [373]
Path: /System/Library/Frameworks/QuickLook.framework/Resources/quicklookd.app/Contents/MacOS/quicklookd
Identifier: com.apple.QuickLookDaemon
Version: 2.0 (327.0)
Build Info: QuickLook-3270000~1
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [244]

Date/Time: 2009-09-15 05:57:12.623 +1000
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.1 (10B504)
Report Version: 6

>Interval Since Last Report: 861 sec
Crashes Since Last Report: 4
Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 332 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 4
Anonymous UUID: FECBC589-6C2F-4ED8-8F0C-4D4CD7E15E3D

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0xffffffffffffff9c
Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Other than this, Snow Leopard is running really well for me.

Does anyone know what is causing this, and any ways to fix the issue?

Thanks!

item.100423

Daniel Barnes

With Tiger, my black MacBook Core2 Duo could not manage a stable wi-fi connection to my AirPort Express (802.11n). It would drop the connection every 10-15 minutes. The MacBook's Airport card was replaced under warranty but it made no difference. With Snow Leopard, the MacBook's wi-fi connection to the Airport Express has been stable and continuous (as far as I can tell) for 36 hours. The classic story with this kind of problem involves a "Eureka! Finally!" forum post followed by one saying "Oops, I spoke too soon." So I'll just say for now that it feels like I have a whole new computer.

Sep. 16, 2009

item.100446

Chap Harrison

George Hart wrote:

I had to restore my SL 10.6.1 disk from Time Machine.
When I finished, Mail would not record any passwords. [...] I downloaded the 10.6.1 update and ran it. Mail worked.

I, too, restored 10.6.1 from TM, and was then unable to launch Mail ("Mail 4.1 is incompatible with OS X 10.6.1"). I eventually had to go back a couple of weeks in TM and pull Mail.app 4.0. It works. SU says I'm up-to-date, but I'm uneasy. Will try dl'ing and running the 10.6.1 update manually, as George did.

item.100450

Nick Sutphin

Since upgrading my 2008 24" iMac 3.06, both iCal and Address Book now crash when I try to save their archives. This also happens on my early 2006 MB 13".

item.100482

Barry Levine

Since the SL upgrade, my MacBook Pro 13" has intermittently lost its WiFi connection to my AT&T 2Wire Gateway. I don't remember where I read this but the solution was to change WPA/WPA2 encryption in the router to simply WPA. I did this and the problem seems to have gone away.

I don't know if this is an Apple problem or a 2Wire problem but, whatever, it's all working fine now.

item.100523

Jan Sunde

To Cam,
I'm experiencing the exact same problem - Quicklook crashing constantly when I'm viewing my Movies folder! This only happened after I updated to 10.6.1. My Mac is a 2.16 GHz C2D white 20" iMac with 3 Gb RAM (hmmm....exact same configuration). I upgraded from 10.5.8.

My guess is that it somehow has something to do with the combination of .avi files (Divx/Xvid), Perian and the new Quicktime X architecture.

I tried trashing all 3rd party Quicklook plugins, uninstalled Perian (1.1.4), restart, empty caches etc. but to no avail. I made all .avi files open with QT 7 but no change. Does anybody know what determines which app is used to produce the quicklook previews?

Funny thing is in Cover Flow, the file icons only show the Q logo and then crashes immediately, whereas in column view the movie thumbnail is shown in the preview column and can even be played in miniature (this is when Perian is installed), although quicklook crashes in this view as well. This is VERY annoying to say the least. My computer has gone from lightning fast (10.6.0) to almost unusable (10.6.1) because of this. It seems that one crash in quicklook sets off other quicklook crashes also in folders where there are no movie files. Please somebody - any tips ?

item.100525

Bill Graefe, Jr

Cam Romeril: QuickLookDaemon is a utility that runs in the background. The system is seeing that it's crashed and has restarted it which is why you have so many of them. My guess is you have a quicklook generator file that's corrupted or incompatible with SL.

You can find them in the Libraries/Quicklook folder(s) at / and ~/ (the main computer library and your user home folder's library). You may also find that an Apple SL included file is corrupted in /System/Library/QuickLook. The have a .qlgenerator extension. Probably easiest test would be to remove the / and ~/ ones and restart (to be safe) and see if that clears it up. Then start adding them back. You ought not need to restart to activate them though you probably do have to invoke QuickLook on a fil of that type. Actually, I think you can double click them to load them back in.

if all else fails, try killing the contents of the major cache folders or posting the crash log found in the Console via the Log List.

item.100533

J Ake

The Snow Leopard update reset my imap settings for Gmail, changing them all to match those I had for MobileMe. As a result, drafts were reset to be stored on the server, not on my computer. I did not realize there was any issue, until I mistakenly attached a 65mb image to an email. I deleted the draft before sending when I realized it contained the wrong file, but that seemed to set in motion an imap account synchronization that involved a 65MB attachment going back and forth from my computer to the server. It took me a while to figure out what was happening, but in the meantime, everything got bogged down. Once I realized the settings had been changed in Gmail to mirror MobileMe, I corrected settings but that had no effect. So I just deleted the Gmail account and then reinstalled it. That worked.

Sep. 17, 2009

item.100578

Chap Harrison

I am unable, using either the Format>Style submenu or the keyboard equivalents, to set bold or italic font styles when composing a rich-text message in Mail.app. I have to pull up the Fonts panel and select the variant (Oblique, Bold) from there.

This seems specific to Mail. TextEdit - also Cocoa - is unaffected.

(Earlier I wrote that, after restoring 10.6.1 from TM, I was unable to launch Mail: "Mail 4.1 is incompatible with OS X 10.6.1." I had circumvented this by retrieving Mail 4.0 from TM. Since then, I downloaded and ran the full 10.6.1 update, and Mail is back to 4.1 and launching normally. I don't know if this has any bearing on my font-styling problem.)

item.100588

Chuck Gaudette

I use Eye-One Match 3 for monitor profiling. It worked fine under 10.6 Snow Leopard. But then I installed 10.6.1 and now it doesn't work at all. Error message says it can't find the device. I contacted Pantone about it but so far I've not received a reply. Can I go back to 10.6 by simply reinstalling from the original disk?

Sep. 18, 2009

item.100718

MacInTouch Reader

Re:

"I use Eye-One Match 3 for monitor profiling. It worked fine under 10.6 Snow Leopard. But then I installed 10.6.1 and now it doesn't work at all. Error message says it can't find the device."

Mine works fine under 10.6.1. Perhaps you can try it on another Mac or re-install the program.

Sep. 21, 2009

item.100830

Michael Wells

What is the deal with the AOL desktop software? My AOL mail is garbled and when I access my own website the information is garbled.

[There have been problems with fonts under Snow Leopard, so you might try resetting your fonts in AOL (if that's an option; I don't know if it is). -Ric Ford]

Sep. 23, 2009

item.100982

Colleen Thompson

Re:

"What is the deal with the AOL desktop software? My AOL mail is garbled and when I access my own website the information is garbled."

What might help is clearing some font caches. Easiest way to do this is do a Safe Boot (hold down the Shift key at boot till you see the words Safe Boot). Then reboot normally.

Someone correct me if this no longer works in Snow Leopard; I have yet to upgrade, myself.

Sep. 29, 2009

item.101451

Michael Mann

Is there consensus on how to get Mail 4.1 to work with 10.6.1? I've done the restore from TM (after attempting to go back to 10.5 but lost all sorts of things!) then a fresh install of SL to get Mail to work at all... now I can't hardly send (same old story)...

So is there consensus of what to do?

Sep. 30, 2009

item.101476

Derek Fong

Michael Mann writes:

"Is there consensus on how to get Mail 4.1 to work with 10.6.1?"

Am I missing something? I'm running 10.6.1 with Mail 4.1 without any problems. I'm using a combination of POP and IMAP accounts. (I believe Mail 4 was installed with Snow Leopard, with 4.1 installed as part of 10.6.1.)

item.101487

Bill Newby

Michael Mann wrote:

Is there consensus on how to get Mail 4.1 to work with 10.6.1? I've done the restore from TM (after attempting to go back to 10.5 but lost all sorts of things!) then a fresh install of SL to get Mail to work at all... now I can't hardly send (same old story)...
So is there consensus of what to do?

Go to Mail Preferences > Accounts and click your account. [Click the ] Outgoing Mail Server drop down to edit SMTP servers. Then Advanced. Toggle the SSL, if checked, uncheck and if unchecked, check.

Authentication Password
complete the other two (user name, password)

Oct. 1, 2009

item.101591

John Albert

Michael Mann writes:

"Is there consensus on how to get Mail 4.1 to work with 10.6.1?"

Today I helped a friend diagnose an iMac running 10.6.1 on which the Mail.app had quit working properly. He could send, but not receive any mail, even after re-checking all parameters against "known good" ones.

The solution was to quit Mail, delete the Mail.app prefs file for his account, and restart Mail.

Mail restarted fresh (since it found no accounts upon launch), but at the same time located the old account information on the ISP server, and "rebuilt" the account information, requiring only a couple of entries.

It worked as expected afterwards.

Nov. 10, 2009

item.104079

Jeff Alves

Just installed the 10.6.2 update on a mid-2009 MBP with no apparent issues.

item.104083

Dana Baggett

I updated my mid-2009 17" MacBook Pro using Software Update while driving a 24" Cinema Display. 499.9 MB download. All went well.

item.104087

Samuel Herschbein

10.6.2 combo went smoothly. Repairing Permissions after the install showed no new problems! I've always had some Permission issues after updates.

My procedure for all 10.x. point-releases:
Notes:
* Always use a Combo updater if it is available.
* This procedure requires Onyx, a free utility, download it from: http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs/english.html

1) Shutdown.
2) Unplug all FireWire & USB devices (except keyboard & mouse).
3) Follow the instructions for your processor (PPC or Intel):
PPC:
a) Turn on the computer and immediately hold down option-command-O-F. Release the keys when it says to.
b) Type reset-nvram and press return
c) Type reset-all and press return, immediately after hearing the beep:
d) Hold down command-option-P-R to reset the Parameter RAM. Keep holding the keys down until after the 2nd beep, then:
e) Immediately hold down the shift key to boot in Safe Mode.
Intel Desktops:
i) Unplug the power cord.
ii) Wait at least 15 seconds.
iii) Press & hold the power button, then plug in the power cord.
iv) Let go of the power button and then immediately:
v) Hold down command-option-P-R to reset the Parameter RAM. Keep holding the keys down until after the 2nd beep, then:
vi) Immediately hold down the shift key to boot in Safe Mode.
Intel Laptops with removable batteries:
i) Unplug the power cord and remove the battery.
iii) Press & hold the power button for 10 seconds
iv) Replace the battery and plug in the power cord.
v) Press the power button and then immediately:
vi) Hold down command-option-P-R to reset the Parameter RAM. Keep holding the keys down until after the 2nd beep, then:
vii) Immediately hold down the shift key to boot in Safe Mode.
4) Open System Preferences, click Startup Disk, and make sure the proper drive is selected (don't Restart).
5) Run Disk Utility, Verify the startup disk and then repair its Disk Permissions.
6) Run Onyx, enter your password & then click Cleaning. For each of these tabs in this order Fonts, Internet, User and System: check all items and then click the Execute button. When Onyx asks to Restart, click Close when on the Fonts, Internet, and User tabs, for the System tab:
7) Click the Restart button, then quickly: hold down the shift key to boot in Safe Mode.
8) Install the Combo Update, it will restart your Mac at least once.
9) Run Disk Utility, Repair Disk Permissions on the startup disk.
10) Run Onyx, click cleaning and then empty the System and Kernel caches. When asked, Shut Down.
11) Plug in the FireWire and USB devices.
12) Turn on the Mac & startup normally.

item.104088

Charles Park Seward

No problems with Combo on MacBook Pro 3,1.

item.104089

Chris Marshall

Easy and quite fast....Mail crashed once on my iMac but then settled down, otherwise nowt much to report

Night!

item.104091

Dennis Wall

I updated a MacBook Pro 17" and an OSX Server (Mac Pro) to 10.6.2 this evening. All went smoothly.

One issue I was having with OS X Server 10.6.0 and 10.6.1 appears to have been resolved with the 10.6.2 server update. A 3TB OWC external firewire 800 drive had trouble mounting at boot up with the previous 10.6.x server versions. With 10.6.2, it mounts immediately when the Finder loads - as it should.

item.104093

Bill Planey

Just wondering if any relief from the type 1 font issue may have made it into this update. (not expecting any, but you never know...)

item.104095

MacInTouch Reader

I just updated my late '07 iMac and my late '09 MacBook Pro. There was no problem with the update on either machine, but there was an odd, easily corrected anomaly: on the both machines the sound output seemed to have changed to headphone, even though headphones weren't connected. A quick trip to system preferences and resetting to system output solved the issue, but it did take me a bit to figure out what was wrong. Hopefully, this is just a minor updating glitch, and not the symptom of a bigger problem. At any rate, I thought I'd pass this along to save others some frustration trying to figure out what's up with the sound on their machines if it disappears after updating to 10.6.2.

item.104099

Kelly Burgess

I updated a MacBook Pro from 10.6.1 to 10.6.2, and on rebooting I had to log in manually. I somehow lost my account prefs for auto-login, as well as all of my Startup Items. After manually adding them back, all is well. Nice to have the Reveal in Finder context command for these items. Any that are inside packages need to be manually dragged into the list to re-add them because the file dialog won't let you drill into packages. And nice that I had a second machine to consult for those paths, since I hadn't been prepared for this to happen.

item.104101

Alan Sekers

10.6.2 installed without problems so far on MBP 2.1. Noticed that the graphics distortion I used to experience when opening Safari Top Sites has gone. However on opening Safari first time, there was lots of disc activity for some three minutes. Was concerned until Activity Monitor showed it as Safari rebuilding Top Sites.

item.104102

Warren Stone

Upgraded via Software Update to 10.6.2 on my early 2009 iMac. When it rebooted it had set my login to automatic. It had been previously set to require name and password. I had to reset my login preferences. No other issues but come on Apple, you're supposed to be better than that...

item.104103

Davide Guarisco

10.6.2 is out and Atom support has been dropped again:
  http://osxdaily.com/2009/11/09/mac-os-x-10-6-2-update-released-intel-atom-support-officially-missing-breaks-hackintosh-netbooks/

At the moment it's unclear exactly what is broken. The OSX86 community is hard at work, and maybe they will come up with a modified kernel or some other way to make 10.6.2. run on Atom netbooks.

If it turns out that was a deliberate move from Apple, that's a disturbing and extremely disappoint news. Probably reason enough to make me question a long-standing commitment to the platform.

item.104104

Rolf Drommer

Installed the 10.6.2 update on two machines and so far all seems fine.

Downloaded and used the combo updater on my desktop iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo.

Used the software update for the 13" MacBook Pro.

So far in running and working, all is fine. But then I don't have any haxies of strange installs on either machine.
Keeping fingers crossed, as I've always had good luck with my Macs since the first one in 1985.

item.104105

Jonathan Saltzman

As a graphic designer who can't update to Snow Leopard (thanks to Apple's dropping support for PostScript Type 1 fonts), I'd like to know if this update finally fixes that lapse of judgment.

[See below for a relevant excerpt from Apple's Mac OS X 10.6.2 release notes. -MacInTouch]

Fonts fixes provided for:
* an issue with font spacing
* an issue in which some Fonts are missing
* font duplication issues
* an issue with some PostScript Type 1 fonts not working properly

item.104108

MacInTouch Reader

All OK here. (Mac OS X 10.6.2 > MBP 4,1)

item.104110

Darrel Knutosn

After updating to 10.6.2 (combo) whenever I place anything in the Trash the Finder asks me "Are you sure you want to delete "filename"? This item will be deleted immediately. You can't undo this action." with Cancel (default) and Delete buttons. In Finder prefs I have all warnings turned off, but would still appreciate the opportunity to keep things in the Trash should I change my mind.

Any tip on how I can get back to the non-warning behavior?

item.104113

Robin Lake

Upgraded from 10.6.1 to 10.6.2 via Software Update.
Major problem with Mail. I'm reading an unread mail item when new mail is downloaded from my ISP. The article I'm reading disappears and adjacent previously deleted articles reappear. Also, an article forwarded from the ISP via their Webmail access appears as a .msg attachment which Mail thinks is a Parallels Desktop document and launches (another) instance of Parallels Desktop.

Certain persistent problems in 10.6.1 have been fixed, namely the long delay in switching applications, contexts and sometimes windows. However, if I can't read Mail correctly, I'll have to revert.

item.104114

Chris Marshall

Just to add... *after* the 10.6.2 update, have found 3 sites where the flash plug-in crashes (leaving an on screen crash log window) whilst in Safari! Never had this before, so just updated to the latest Flash player/plug-in at adobe.com

Anyone else have this problem? So far so good with new plug-in after restart...

item.104115

Andy Henson

Installed 10.6.2 (Combo) update this morning on iMac (Early 2009) 2.93 gHz Core 2 duo. No problems so far.

item.104117

Andrew Main

Jonathan Saltzman wonders if 10.6.2 fixes the PostScript Type 1 font disaster. Initial reports at Apple Discussions are mixed, but guardedly positive. A key seems to be clearing the font caches to give the system a fresh start.

Samuel Hirschbein's procedure outlined above may be a bit overkill, but it's certainly a good idea to do a general cleaning at least (OnyX's sister utility Maintenance does everything in one neat package -- and will clean font caches along with others), and I always run DiskWarrior before updating also.

item.104118

Rod Paine

Did 10.6.2 fix Rosetta such that Eudora 6.2.4 is now pretty stable? It appears so on my early Mac mini, as I responded to 27 Emails this morning, after updating to 10.6.2 without a single blue screen event. Boy, I hope this continues, but I am still holding my breath.

item.104125

Matt McCaffrey

Re: My FireWire drive not mounting. I installed the OS X 10.6.2 Combo update, and now the drive mounts as expected. In general no significant issues so far with the updater.

item.104129

Gregory Weston

Samuel Herschbein update/install procedure for Intel-baed desktops includes:

i) Unplug the power cord.
iii) Press & hold the power button, then plug in the power cord.

What does that do? I'm curious because Apple's documentation on resetting the SMC has in boldface that you should not have the power button down when you reapply power. So I'm curious what the intent/effect is of this sequence of actions in contrast to an SMC reset.

item.104132

Dennis Wall

MacInTouch Reader Wrote:

I just updated my late '07 iMac and my late '09 MacBook Pro. There was no problem with the update on either machine, but there was an odd, easily corrected anomaly: on the both machines the sound output seemed to have changed to headphone, even though headphones weren't connected. A quick trip to system preferences and resetting to system output solved the issue, but it did take me a bit to figure out what was wrong. Hopefully, this is just a minor updating glitch, and not the symptom of a bigger problem. At any rate, I thought I'd pass this along to save others some frustration trying to figure out what's up with the sound on their machines if it disappears after updating to 10.6.2.

I had a similar issue with my 2nd generation MacBook Pro 17". The sound output defaulted to a bluetooth headset I had setup but not connected.

item.104133

Chuck White

Installed 10.6.2 on a MBP and Mac Pro, noticed sleep/screen dimming issues on the MBP seemed to have been fixed. Also on the Mac Pro an issue with changing desktop backgrounds seems to work again as well!

item.104136

Ed Sikorski

Re: Samuel Herschbein methodical procedure...

I recommend this addition:

BEFORE doing anything, Run a utility (separate disc/drive) like Disk Warrior or Drive Genius *(current versions). Rebuild/Repair any directory or drive issues.

Then run Disk utility from installer DVD/external source. Repair any issues.

item.104142

George Hulseman

Installed 10.6.2 (Combo) update on iMac 2 GHz Core 2 duo. No problems. Repairing permissions via Disk utility now reports this message:

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Previously, with 10.6.1, there were two "will not be repaired" messages.

item.104143

MacInTouch Reader

Samuel Herschbein describes a remarkably lengthy process he follows to do an OS update.

For balance, in particular for any readers who may be relatively new to Macs, in my experience with multiple OS X versions since 10.1, I have never done anything other than straightforwardly install delta updates. No prophylactic permission repair, no combo installer, etc.

My preparation is two steps: (1) update a backup immediately before an install, and (2) disconnect peripherals before beginning the install. I have never had an OS update problem. Just one anecdotal experience.

item.104147

Samuel Herschbein

Andrew Main said:

Samuel Herschbein's procedure outlined above may be a bit overkill...

It is overkill, deliberately so. The idea is to absolutely minimize the chance of problems down the road. It's an investment in time that in my experience has always paid off both on my home Macs and the many Macs I support at work/clients.

In an ideal world this procedure would be unnecessary, but the reality is that OS software's complexity is so great that nobody can test for all possible complications.

item.104149

John Baltutis

Rod Paine wrote:

Did 10.6.2 fix Rosetta such that Eudora 6.2.4 is now pretty stable? It appears so on my early Mac mini, as I responded to 27 Emails this morning, after updating to 10.6.2 without a single blue screen event. Boy, I hope this continues, but I am still holding my breath.

Interesting, since I've seen few reports WRT Eudora and SL's Rosetta; in fact, I've been running Eudora 5.2.1 on my machine w/SL for over year w/o incidents (beta-tester).

Nov. 11, 2009

item.104139

Fred Moore

For Kelly Burgess and the login items disappearing: Of course you didn't know in advance that they were going to disappear, but this terminal command will easily list them all beforehand so you can find the ones buried inside packages (works in 10.3 through 10.5, so should work in 10.6):

defaults read loginwindow | grep Path

item.104155

Anita Raj

For me 10.6.2 update seems to have solved the Safari memory-leak problem.

item.104158

Ralph Begleiter

Update 10.6.2 breaks the "SWF" handler in Keynote. A (120MB) Keynote file with video - which opened perfectly one minute before installing the 10.6.2 update - crashes immediately after installing 10.6.2.

This is a serious problem, making my Keynote file(s) unusable. (I attempted to open a backup copy of the same file - same problem. Other Keynote files (smaller, smaller video files) seem OK. Not sure what the distinction is.

This problem is repeated on both my (intel) iMac and my (intel) MacBook Pro (15" 2006 model).

Help, please, Apple! This update has put some Keynote files out of service completely.

item.104162

Craig Gaevert

MBP, early 2007, no problems with the update. Standard Software update stuff, didn't disconnect any drives, etc.. One problem, though, it broke Growl.

item.104163

Bob Jansen

Used the Combo updater to update to 10.6.2. Only problem so far is that I can not pair any bluetooth mouse - I just bought the Magic Mouse and that's now an expensive brick and my older Microsoft Bluetooth Mouse also will not pair. Tried re-pairing but no go.

Bugger....

item.104164

Jack Ziegler

I've been a Mac user since 1984 and I've updated the system on many, many Mac's. I've never found the need to go thru a the steps Samuel Hirschbein has described above.

I make a bootable backup of my machine, install the Software Update file.I can't ever remember having a problem. Now it's true I don't run haxies, I don't use a lot of plugin's for Safari. I do buy some shareware and use the Mac fairly hard. If I had to go through all those steps I'd still be using Classic, system 1.0. The whole purpose of the Mac is the fact that it is easy to use, why complicate it?

To each his own...

item.104165

Bill B

Samuel Herschbein's extra update steps are rarely necessary or useful, because they introduce risk themselves. Resetting pram, safe booting, pulling battery out, running 3rd party utilities, etc. are extreme measures, if not a bit superstitious for ordinary users doing routine updates.

In his favor, tho, it is good to know steps that can be taken when a really fastidious approach is called for, such as an administrator working in an unknown environment or if the user knows there are specific issues on a machine to deal with.

What is important, as many have said, is to have a backup, and wait a day or two for forums to provide insight into specific issues and risks before installing updates.

item.104173

Jerry Freilich

Just performed the 6.2 update on my MacBook Pro which went without any incident. I now see that there is a new "Applications" folder on my personal login home page. Very curious! First question .... is everyone else getting this? And second ... what does this mean with respect to sharing applications, permissions, pref file locations and all the rest? Does this mean that Apple is suggesting that individual users install their own apps in their own logins? Sounds like opening a Pandora's Box of many problems.

item.104174

Ken Shores

John Baltutis wrote:

"Interesting, since I've seen few reports WRT Eudora and SL's Rosetta;"

Although the Rosetta "blue screen" crash seems to be reported more often with Office 2004 (which I don't have), I have seen reports of it related to Eudora, both before and after 10.6, and I have experienced such crashes myself since upgrading to SL when 10.6.1 came out. I never had any problems under 10.5.x.

It's infrequent, as I have Eudora up 8+ hours daily, with lots of use, and have only had it crash three times in the past month. All three times I was typing in Eudora. I NEVER had a full window manager crash before, and I've been using OS X since 10.1.2. Apple clearly broke something in 10.6.

I'm using Eudora 6.2.4 (paid mode) on a "early 2008" MBP. I haven't yet upgraded to 10.6.2, but this sounds like another good reason to do so.

item.104181

MacInTouch Reader

Darrel Knutosn noted,

"After updating to 10.6.2 (combo) whenever I place anything in the Trash the Finder asks me "Are you sure you want to delete "filename"? This item will be deleted immediately. You can't undo this action." with Cancel (default) and Delete buttons... Any tip on how I can get back to the non-warning behavior?"

The behavior described above is normal for files located on mounted servers, and has always been like this. Files on locally mounted volumes are treated differently (no warning on dragging to the trash) and will only prompt a warning on emptying the trash if that type of warning is activated in Finder preferences.

item.104183

Bart Hanson

Brian Weeks suggested I look at the OSX application "Find Any File, a very, very helpful app allowing users to search anywhere.
http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/

I will find FindAnyFile handy, thanks Brian.
Back in Tiger I used this hint from macosxhints that seems to work fine for Leopard also.
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050621230020563
I'm not sure how well it works in SL not having time to try it yet.

item.104184

Jim Gagne

Warning: a possible major bug. If confirmed, hold off on updating to 10.6.2:

One of the benefits of 10.6.2 is it "fixes" the problem with Postscript Type 1 fonts. I'm not sure what the problem was, but now *none* of my Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, etc.) can find any Type 1 fonts. They've completely disappeared.

I found exactly the same problem in Adobe Creative Suite 3: Indesign and Photoshop. No Type 1 fonts at all. Gone.

If I open a native Apple program (e.g., Font Book, Pages or Mail), they're all there.

Because some years ago I bought a *lot* of Type 1 Adobe fonts, this problem cripples me. (Didn't have any font problems before this upgrade.) This means I can't use any of my documents without changing all my established fonts to something else much less desirable.

[Did you try clearing your font caches, particularly the Adobe caches, using Font Finagler or something similar? We had problems with a Type 1 PS font in Photoshop CS3 after updating to 10.6.2 until we cleared the Adobe caches. After that, all is well. -MacInTouch]

item.104188

Dennis Wall

Samuel Herschbein's method appears to do nothing that would harm the update process but most steps are probably unnecessary and he skips one very important step - backup.

I make sure I have a good backup, ensure that there is no HD damage (fsck, disk utility or Disk Warrior), then run the normal Software update. Never had an issue with thousands of updates of personal and client computers over the years.

item.104189

bob Jansen

Following on from my Magic Mouse/10.6.2 issue this morning, I finally have the mouse back. I deleted com.apple.bluetooth.plist file from the Preferences directory and reset parameter ram (Apple-Option-P-R key combination whilst rebooting the machine, wait for 4 chimes) and the mouse correctly re-paired with the Mac. I'm a happy camper again ...... magic!

item.104192

Jim Coyle

Updating to 10.6.2 took a VERY long time - almost 25 minutes. No problems so far, though as far as functionality.

item.104194

Carl Beyer

I have a 1st Gen Mac Pro. I installed 10.6.2 and am now having audio issues which are minor, but inconvenient. Some sounds come out the computer speaker (Like arrived email beeps and Ichat sign on - sign offs), and some out the optical (Audio from Video, Ichat Video).

I am sure it is a setting that is bumped, but at the moment I feel I have hit the known entities and now am hunting deeper into the preferences.

Install was clean, and otherwise painless and bug free.

item.104196

Arthur Sorkin

My MBP 4,1 (early 2008) started locking up after the update, especially using Safari. It appeared from the
logs that fontd was crashing every couple of seconds
when Safari was scrolled on certain sites. After I clear the font caches, everything was back to normal.

item.104208

Steve Curtis

Matt McCaffrey writes:

"I've noticed that the Firewire enclosure now has to be powered on BEFORE starting my iMac. In former times I could turn it on at any time during a session and the two volumes on the Firewire drive would auto-mount. No more."

I actually noticed this behavior before upgrading to SL, and I can't recall what system configuration I had before, when it "just worked."

I don't need Time Machine to backup as often as it does, so I like to keep the backup volume powered off until I want to backup. But it's now a pain to have to do a restart to have my iMac see the backup volume. I hope this is an issue that can be solved via configuration change.

item.104209

Steve Curtis

An update to my last post about an external FW drive not auto mounting: Since the update to 10.6.2 that issue appears to be resolved.

item.104211

J. Jansen

After installing the 10.6.2 update all was well, except for Zend studio 7 not being able to start. A report was send to apple.

item.104218

Nate Goldshlag

10.6.2 seems to have fixed a very serious problem that Snow Leopard had with virtual memory where swapfiles in /var/vm would grow, the system wouldn't release memory, and things really slowed down with spinning beachballs when this happened. Now things seem to be back to where they were with Leopard.

Next Page...

MacInTouch Amazon link...

Talk to MacInTouch     Support  •  Find/Go